1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many times do you press the LOCK icon...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Oct 21, 2005.

?
  1. Once

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Twice or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DanP

DanP Member

I never press the buttons on the fob. The key never leaves my pocket.

2. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

did you get an additional alarm system installed? i didn't add anything to the factory release and have no beep on my lock system.

one thing i wish toyota would've done is to reverse the blinking system. my mom's mercedes blinks once for unlocking, two blinks for unlocking all doors, and three blinks for locking.

i usually lock once, twice when i miss the single blink (which is often), and twice or more when i'm leaving my car in a sketchy area or have some valuables inside.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love the SKS system. I think I can count the number of times i pushed the lock button with the fingers on one hand. After I get out of the car and close the door, i'll give the black button a push while the door is in mid-close so by the time the door slams shut, it'll beep that it's locked. Some people thought the car just self locked :)

4. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

I agree with hschuck. As I exit the car I tap the door handle button to lock the car. The fob never comes out of my pocket (until I get home and put it away).

5. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Over here in the UK we don't get SKS :( , so I press once to lock the car and a second time to set the anti-theft system (alarm and immobiliser)
    Then I check to see if the little flashing red car icon appears in the display.
    To open I press the unlock once and the lights flash twice.
    Pinball

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to slightly correct you pinball - the anti-theft system is set when you press LOCK once. Pressing LOCK the second time activates the deadlocks (so the doors can't be unlocked from the inside).

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have an '05 package 4 with no alarm system and it both beeps and blinks for lock/unlock using either the fob or the little black buttons. Now if you consider the beeps (which you don't have) the word lock has one syllable so one beep sounds like lock; unlock has two syllables and gets two beeps. So actually maybe it's your mom's Merc that's backward. :D

8. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

Helio, wow, that sounds bloody annoying. No offense, but I can't stand people like you. :) At least not in parking lots. What's the point of doing it more than once if it worked the first time? Then doing it again from your apartment? What the heck? These cars are "impossible" to steal in the first place and are not in high demand for theft anyways, so what's the deal?

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Most frequently, I press the "lock" button on the interior arm rest ONCE, leaving the fob in my pocket. IF I use the fob button, a single press is adequate so long as I see and hear the lights blink and hear the single "beep" indicating that the Prius is indeed locked. Alternatively, if my passenger exits more slowly, I use the black button on the door handle.

I do use the fob if I have parked my Prius in the driveway and failed to lock it. I use it through the living room window from about 25-30 feet distance.

My fob battery is nearing 2 years old and still appears strong. The CR2032 battery manufacturers will appreciate those who compulsively press the fob button numerous times thus probably shortening fob battery life.

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Where's the option for "never?" My car locks itself 2 minutes after I get out.

;-)

Nate

11. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Hey! My beeps aren't at all annoying! They're cute and quirky. If I had an SUV with a loud beep, I probably wouldn't hit the lock buttons so much. Nate- did you install something for it to lock itself?

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but it's on a timer, so you can lock yourself, keys, or baby inside if you don't have the fob with you.

Nate

13. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An ignorant question, from someone who doesn't have his Prius yet:

How is someone (the average thief) gonna steal your Prius, even if the door is unlocked, without your fob? It won't do a damn thing without the fob, right? (Assuming no electronic sophistication on the part of the thief...) So aside from protecting the contents of the car, what's the difference?

14. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never use the fob. When I get out of the car, I push the black button on the door. The only time I push it twice is if I don't see the lights blink, or hear the locks activating. My hearing is bad, so if there is a beep, I can't hear it. ( I can't hear the reverse beep, so I haven't disabled it. Sometimes it drives my wife nuts).

15. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

CAR BEEPS BACK ???? How...my 2005 flashes the lights, but does not beep acknowledging the lock action.... probably missed reading the way to set it in the owner's manual is what I did...But can you tell us HOW or on what page ??? B) :eek: :rolleyes:

16. dannored

dannored New Member

I use the black button on the door handle exclusively. I never take my keys out of my pocket.

17. jtullos

jtullos New Member

As I recall (not sure), whether or not it beeps is configurable, but I don't know how to do it. I'm happy with the beeps it does right now.

Usually, I only hit the lock once, unless it's noisy (my parking lot at work gets kind of loud with traffic nearby) and I don't hear the beep or the lock(s) clicking, then I'll hit it again to be sure.

18. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once is good enough for me! :D If the lights flash, I take the car's word for it. The only time I have used the fob is when my wife is taking her time (as always) getting out of the car, and I'm already walking away by the time she closes her door.

19. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if no one's watching...

i'll sing a song, dance, and start pressing the button to the rhythm

beep beep beep-beep-beep beep beep beep bepbepbpebepbpebepep beeep beep *dance*

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HA! Squid is just a button pusher! :lol:

I'd vote for never use the fob except it's not an option.

Wildkow