1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Many Years Do You Expect Your 2010 Prius To last ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by New_Yorker, Apr 25, 2010.

1. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    WOW! :eek: I Applaud your Environmental Zeal !:cheer2:
    Taking the Financial 'HIT' for driving a Prius V for only 12 months when the most expensive Prius will lose about 20% of it value. That is REALLY putting your money where your mouth is ! Most people would not, and probably could not, afford to take such a costly approach to driving a car.

If it were me, I'd wait for probaly 3 years until the Nissan has had some extensive Real World experience so I could know the actual performance, reliability, and reputation of a new untested vehicle. Especially with the sub-Zero Boston Winters to contend with for a car wholly dependent on its battery. Such Bravery !
    Of course by then the Plug in Prius would be available I suspect, which has greater appeal for me.

I wish you luck.

2. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've owned an 1987, Cherokee Laredo (AMC); a 1994 Grand Cherokee, Limited as stated (Chrysler), and currently a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland (Daimler-Chrysler) which is the highest evolution of the original Grand built in 1993. While decent vehiles with impressive OFF ROAD abilitites, the Cherokee's had never been assembled to the precision, and quality of my 2007 and now 2010 Prius, so I expect the Prius to outlast the Jeeps which have always proven to be tough and durable exceeding 250K and 15 years.

3. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had my Mighty Max for over 20 yrs. You take a guess on my 2008 Prius with less than 10K miles!!!!

4. treet007

treet007 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you are willing to purchase a new hybrid-traction battery pack, do the regular maintenance, and parts are still available, the Prius should last 20 years.

I have a 2002 Prius and still going strong after 150k miles. Had to replace the hybrid battery last year after the body shop stored the car for over 30 days (waiting for parts) without turning on the engine to charge the battery. This caused a complete discharge and the battery had to be replaced, costing over $3000. We settled the lawsuit I filed, but I can't tell you of the terms due to the agreement...

So if you are involved in an accident, make sure the collision repair folks take care of the hybrid system. Info at:

2 people like this.
  5. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually keep my car until it drops or needs major repairs (that used to be until it rusted out :) ) Hoping to get up to 10 years / 200K out of the gen3 but who knows what is round the corner?

6. ed_k1

ed_k1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a similar question in regard to the harsh northern America winter conditions where tons of salt are dumped on the road. As you know the salt is very detrimental to almost everything in a car. Most of the cars in my area wear out due to some form of corrosion due to the sale. The prius body panels do not look particular well suited to rust protection. Anyone have an idea how the prius will weather over the years in these salted road conditions?

7. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I only need a couple of years until the PHEV is available, so I guess it's a moot point.

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Salted Roads do cause the cars to have Cancer, and rust to death. The good news is that cars that once rusted out in 5 to 10 years can last 15 to 20 thanks to galvanized one side steel becoming available, and the new chip resistant coatings used on rocker panels, and low body parts. If you put a set of mud flaps on so the salt doesn't get thrown up under the car with as much force, and you wash the underbody in a car wash every so often, the cars last much longer. If you garage the car add another 5 years to it minimum. When I was a kid the GM cars my father bought rusted to oblivion in 10 years, that is no longer a big problem.

9. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We normally keep our cars for 2 to 3 years mainly as I get bored, but also as from a depreciation perspective its a big decision points....Saying that we kept my wifes murano for 5 years as we just couldnt decide what to get...Until the prius iii came along...

10. vela

vela New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We keep our cars/trucks for at least 10 years. Our previous car, the one the Prius replaced, was 18 years old. I expect our Prius will easily last 10 years and we will likely keep it that long, though I know I will be sorely tempted when the Prius plug-in becomes available.

11. Prowler

Prowler Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 08 but plan on selling it to get a leaf or volt. Just bought it so I could compair a prius to my new car when it comes out. Still trying to decide if I want a leaf or volt. May consider a 2011 prius, depends on how its gas milage compairs to the leaf or volt.

12. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tend to keep my cars for about 15 years...but I may only get 80K on them in that time. (I genarally have 3 cars). Mine usually start to fall apart from rust. When the cost of replacing the entire exhaust system is more than the value of the car, then I know it is time to buy new.

13. primatreat

primatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have 5 Prius in my family. 01 with 120K, 03 with 150K, 05 with 100k, 2010 used as a company car by the president of my company and my 2010 V. Both with advance everything, including lifetime Sat. I am 67 now and expect not to really care about my 2010. I am sure I will not outlive it. The company president put 200K on a 2002 Q45. We had not one problem with that either. :D