1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how mount gps on dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Baldbubba, May 4, 2014.

1. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i am wanting to mount my gps on my dash just to the left of the mfd ther is a smooth spot, i have used the suction cup, it will not stay! i have cleaned both surfaces, i just cant it stay. any ideas? i have considered using velcro, i am not oppsed to using super glue i can remove the unit an leave the post in place. i am going to keep this car so permanet doesnt bother me. i am so tired trying to catch the unit as it high dives off the dash!

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get a "nav mat" and put the base of the nav unit on the mat. Then lay the mat on the dash. The gps will stay put. When you are through with it, unplug the power cord. Life the mat off the dash and take gps off of it's stand. Put GPS in console and mat in rear seat floor board under passenger seat.

Did that all the time with the Gen II. Doing the same with the new Gen III, but only using my Garmin to get coordinates as the built in gps will NOT save coordinate locations. Go Figure. Garmin Nuvi does it all day long, but Gen III gps won't save the coordinates...

Edit, I'll include a link: Scosche GPSDM GPS Dash Mat: GPS & Navigation : Walmart.com

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I recommend AGAINST gluing anything to the dash, both because it might not come off when it's time to sell the vehicle and because it might come off on it's own, leaving an UGLY mark.

There are "bean bag" mounts as well and the "nav mats" available.
    They work remarkably good, despite what you might think.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP stated they were ok with a semi permanent mounting option like glue or adhesive.

Mats and bean bags, as well as the devices they are "holding", become projectiles during accidents. That half pound device can do some serious damage to an occupant if it becomes a projectile from crash forces.

mtbiker53, dorunron and Epiphany2000 like this.
  6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The mounts typically are flimsy and the device "snaps" out of it rather easily.

I see no reason to believe that they would be any more or less dangerous than one suction-cupped to the window......or suction-cupped to the dash.

The projectile problem is most dangerous when sudden deceleration is involved AND the object in question flies directly AT an occupant. Side impacts or low speeds or objects on the dash that fly toward the windshield are generally not a serious problem.

7. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I use the windshield mount that came with my Garmin - I have used permanent dash mounts in the past but lately folks have taken to viewing an empty mount as an invitation for a quick smash and check of the glove box or center console even if you don't leave yours in the car. With the quick release suction cup mount removed and put away no one even knows I have or use a gps and the mount quickly sticks back on when I'm ready to go again.

CatsAreGods and dorunron like this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) Make sure it is warm. 2)Try one of the shorter, gooey type suction cup mounts. The cheapest ones didn't work on that spot for me either till I bought a different brand that says "sticks to painted walls".

dorunron likes this.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what about the small window in front of the door the little triangle.

yes you'd have to run the cord and hide it, and you're passenger would never be able to operate it... but its not a bad spot..

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bean bag, next to the small(tiny) window in front of the passenger, a small wire tru the vents near the window holding it in place... easy to read, stop to adjust input, it's a nuvi