1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much are the "Doc" fees in your state for a Prius Purchase??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 11 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]440390[/snapback]</div>
    No, I'm comparing honest straightforward pricing in retail stores to dishonest pricing at some car dealerships. If you don't like the grocery store example, substitute whatever you'd like (say a jeweler, where there can also be haggling, but no "doc fees").

Don't get me wrong. I understand the need for car dealerships (and salespeople such as yourself) to make a profit, but I, for one, would be a lot less resentful if the negotiated price were $25,500, instead of $25,000 plus an extra $500 that you don't find out about until you sign the paperwork.

Again, the issue of dishonesty is not about the final price/profit, just the way it's advertised to (or hidden from) the consumer.

2. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carrie @ May 12 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]440432[/snapback]</div>
    Wow...a tax for inventory? I'm not aware of any taxes that a dealer gets charged for having inventory.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 10 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]439672[/snapback]</div>
    The problem with "doc fees" is not that the dealer is making a profit (although some here define "profit" as "evil", I'm a capitalist to the core). The problem is when the charge is made to look like a government fee, AND it comes after the consumer thinks a price has been agreed on. Packaging the fee with the sales tax, registration and other government fees is deceptive and, in my view, immoral.

And don't get me started on the "30,000 Mile Service" scam most of the service departments engage in; that one will become illegal at some point, because it really is a scandal.

4. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 12 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]440634[/snapback]</div>

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....you see, at my dealership (and I've only worked at one) the Doc fee is on the buyer's order and figured into the price of the vehicle....This is a really rough example with a MSRP of exactly $25,000.00, a rebate of $1500, and a down payment of $2000:

Customer name/address info
    D/L number/birthday/ssn
    Vehicle info
    trade info
    Sale price: $25,000.00
    Added options: Floormats: $139, Pinstripe: $79
    Subtotal: $25,218.00
    Trade in allowance: Lets say the trade in is appraised for $9,200.00
    Cash Difference: (Subtotal-trade in value) $16,018.00
    Customer Service: ("doc fee" of $289)
    Subtotal: $16,307.00
    Sales Tax: (7% in my state/county) $1,141.49
    Subtotal: (subtotal + tax) $17,448.49
    Title and Warranty rights act fee: ($21 here)
    Subtotal: $17,469.49
    Trade payoff: (if there is one, it goes here, but let's pretend this trade is paid for)
    Rebate: (Customer Cash OR special financing) $1,500.00
    Down Payment/Deposit: $2,000.00
    Total Amount Financed: $13,969.49

I guess some dealerships probably throw it at the customer in the finance office. We don't do that. My bad for getting uber defensive about it.

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here in FLORIDA (Tampa) printed right on the "Retail Buyers Order" form is $589.00 "DEALER ADMIN. FEE". In fine print in the box to the left of this it says: "This charge represents costs and profit to the seller/dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting new and used vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale". I guess this is a combination "dealer prep." and "dealer doc." fee.
    There are also other (separate) boxes for Florida Law Waste Tire Fee, Florida Law Waste Battery Fee, which are $0 (zero) and then a few more boxes.... one called "Lemon Law Fee" which is $8.89 and then naturally there is a box for "License, Title, Tag Fees" which in our case is $125 for a "transfer" of registration. Then to the bottom left of the form is "fine print" sooooo fine one can just about read it with a magnifying glass which talks about "Disclaimer Of Warranties", "Delivery Statement", etc. :blink:

6. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

It appears you folks are drowning in details. It doesn't matter if they call doc fee, lunch fee, or pure profit.

The only that matters is the bottom line or the payment terms.

The whole purpose of all those line items is confuse the customer. It appears it worked.

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 12 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]440661[/snapback]</div>
    We went to many area Dealers within a 40 mile radius of our home. Some were soooooo "seedy" and tried the "confusion tactics" right off the bat.......... while others were just the opposite......... no pressure and "fair" pricing because they KNEW that if we didn't want to buy a Prius five more people right after us will walk in and buy one !!
    Although the color and package we wanted was not on their lot nor was it on any other lot, it was on it's way to port. We were "lucky" enough to say NO to the "Toyoguard" ($699) and we ended up getting a 2007 Prius TOURING (Silver Pine Mica) with PACKAGE 5 for $25,000 plus that ridiculous "Dealer Admin. Fee" of $589 which is essentially $25,589 minus "trade-in", plus state tax on the "difference", plus $125 for License, Title & Tags !! (Oh, let me not forget...... an additional $8.89 for "Lemon Law Fee" !!)

8. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yeah...those florida fees are crazy high.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V