1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much brake booster/actuator noise is normal after a new unit is installed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SolarTop, Jan 4, 2023.

1. SolarTop

SolarTop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a shop (I will not name) install a brake booster yesterday. I picked the car up today and I found out that instead of installing a new unit they put a used one in. This was never discussed and I assumed I was getting a new part. I’ve driven for the last year with various noises and lights on the dash. The idea of putting in a used unit and potentially going through all of this hassle again makes me sick.

Anyway, lights are off on the dash, I have proper pedal feel, but the buzzing when pressing the brakes seems like it is happening a lot more than I remember a healthy car doing. I can’t remember how much buzz you should get. With this “new” used unit it happens with every press of the pedal and continues every 30 seconds while holding the pedal down. My defective one would buzz even when not pressing. This used unknown mileage part is really annoying the hell out of me. What is normal sound for a brand new unit?

The owner and mechanics at the shop seem like good guys. I just need them to make this right. I would have never authorized a used unit, which would have me wondering if and when it will fail again. Mechanic tells me they always put used ones in. Owner told me he was going to “order the parts” and never indicated USED. This probably happens at a lot of places but there is no way in hell I want a used part in, especially when I was not told about it when given the quote.

Please let me know how much buzzing I should hear? every press along with multiple buzzes while holding pedal seems like this used one is worn. What’s the general consensus.

#1 SolarTop, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pumping every time you brake might be a notch or two down from ideal (typical behavior is to pump every few to several times you brake, though it depends on how hard you brake, and other stuff).

Pumping repeatedly during one held use of the brake is, I think, something I would not settle for.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well it depends on the cost you paid for the used part in the Gen 2 at the used part was sourced in America it has 200,000 mi on it If you bought it from the JDM importers they would bring it in and it would have generally less than 80 and cost $150 bucks 170 something like that I'll take that deal any day it's definitely the install that's costing you on this because they paid something similar for the part which was passed on to you and the rest of its labor I just don't pay the waiver I do it in my driveway on a Saturday morning if I have to work here in the week No big deal then I know it's pretty much done the way I want.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the price was too good to be true?

trying to remember my car when newer, 5-6 seconds upon opening the driver door in the morning, then a few seconds every so often when applying the brake, and less frequently between braking.