1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Much Can a Leaf Haul

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by hill, Jul 14, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen this thread idea (about how much can you haul) posted first, in the Gen II Prius threads. THEN ... I had to laugh. While reading Leaf threads, I stumbled onto THIS:

[​IMG]

:D

Click on the photo, and you can see better that the lumber actually goes right up against the wind shield. I gotta go now - to get a sheet of dry wall to do some kitchen repair . . . . and with that photo in mind? . . . now I think I can do it too !!

cwerdna likes this.
  2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last weekend I hauled in my Prius, in one load:
    2 * 2X8"X12' pressure treated (read: HEAVY) lumber
    10 * 2X8"X8' PT lumber
    4 bags of drainage gravel
    six concrete blocks (30-45 lbs each)

The thing was laden down pretty bad but handled it ok. The 12' stick out, but 8' let the hatch close.

The problem I encountered of course and this guy in the Leaf encountered is that the Dash ends up taking a load, or the windshield away from the dash depending on what's going on.

I would do 12' lengths again, but not 16!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beautiful.

4. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This reminds me of a time I went to Lowes and bought some lumber using my Highlander. I loaded it from the hatch and put it up on the dash. It was not touching the windshield. Once I had it loaded, I opened the driver's side door and got in.

The first thing I heard was a pop as a corner of the top piece of lumber cracked the windshield. I'm not even that heavy, but the flex in the highlander from me getting in must have torqued it enough to puncture the windshield. Boy, was I pissed! Thank God for glass coverage!!!

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember loading a score of 8 foot 2X6s in our Prius. The lady sitting in the big SUV parked next to me had a smirk on her face as I wheeled the lumber to the back of the Prius. The expression on her face as I loaded and then closed the hatch was priceless:D

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Truly, as I was loading my stuff, a guy next to me was loading less wood into a much larger SUV. I think too many people have a view that to move anything at all you need a massive vehicle.

Now, last weekend also I borrowed a V8 Tundra and hauled a bunch of sheets of wood, but a hatch back can move a lot.