1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much discount did you get on your 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by toyolover, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Wolfgang80

Wolfgang80 New Member

Model:
    N/A
    My pleasure. Good luck.

2. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Be happy, I think you did pretty well. I only got about $800 off MSRP and free all-weather floor mats and trunk liner.

3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I bought a Prius II, with a few more options than I wanted, in the GST area.
    It was a pre-MSRP increase car, with a bit more than 200 miles on it--I figure it had been test driven by a few folks.
    Anyway, got 500 off the old MSRP. Here are the numbers:
    MSRP of 23,604 including delivery.
    Actual price 500 off MSRP plus 129 document fee for "out the door" price of 23,223.

What this says to me is that even the lower price Prii are starting to sit around a bit longer as the year ends. I suspect that there are better deals to be had than mine as time goes on.

4. SupaNativ

SupaNativ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MSRP, purchased beginning of October. Did not try to bargain. Did not receive GST/PST rebate-because I don't pay taxes for vehicles.

5. suirP0102

suirP0102 the human hybrid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my Prius II in blizzard pearl for MSRP. I declined the dealer appearance package and all the other normal things the dealer throws at you. I already bought the doorguards they offer for $695 in the dealer appearance package from Toyotoa of Clearwater, FL on Ebay for 100.50 with UPS shipping (I will self install). I caved in for the floor mats ($200).

I did negotiate a 4.45% interest rate though based on my credit and a few hundred off of the Platinum warranty plan.

I am happy and look to kit mine out the way I want it by doing self installation of items bought from Toyota dealers through eBay with the money I saved by not paying for the dealer appearance package.

6. spinnsilly

spinnsilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I thought MSRP on a II was 22,000. I'm totally lost.

7. spinnsilly

spinnsilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow, i got a killer deal on my prius, or at least think i did, but had NO IDEA you could negotiate the intereste rate..bummer for me!

8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SnS:
    MSRP on the base II model used to be 22K. For models imported after about the middle of October, it's 22.4K. However, these numbers are without Destination Charges (applicable on every vehicle--750 in most of the country, 805 in GST region [presumably because miles are longer here]). The base number is also without options.
    So, when one of us (say, me, in my post), lists the MSRP of my Prius II as 23,604, I'm including the Destiination charges and MSRP of the options.
    This leads to a little bit of difficulty in figuring profitability to the dealer. In general, options seem to be priced to give a higher percentage of profit to the dealer than the base MSRP alone. For some options, especially regional options--I actually got one on my car on purpose--the difference between the invoice price of the option and the "MSRP" (actually Distributor's Suggested Retail Price) can be pretty big.

9. suirP0102

suirP0102 the human hybrid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a few well known local credit unions that wanted my business, so that was my bargaining chip.

Basically..."do you want to make money off of me or do you want the credit union to make money off of me".

It worked.

10. wflores

wflores New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Got my grey Prius II for $1,000 below MSRP at Northridge Toyota.

11. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    7% off MSRP. And they are still making a fair porfit. Heavy mark up in Toyota products. I almost got sucked in a full retail. SHOP AROUND>>>> Travel if necessary. got mine 150 miles from the locals.

12. dleffingwell

dleffingwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $1829 below MSRP. $500 below invoice.

13. Lavender

Lavender New Member

Model:
    II
    So, yesterday, I negotiated a price of $23604, for a 2010 Silver Prius II with $1248 in options, listed at MSRP of $24453. The options include window tint, 2 oil changes, sealant package, floor mats/trunk mat/spider net/wheel locks, roadside assistance. In addition, $1800 trade in for my 1999 Camry with 160k+ miles on it and some dings and dents plus a starter problem. Also negotiated a 4.25% financing rate. I put down a refundable deposit but am waiting on the car to be delivered, so I do have some time to decide if this is a good deal. Can someone here tell me if I made a good deal? Or did they rip off the woman who must obviously not know anything about cars?

14. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius Pk3. No Nav. $685 off MSRP + 3 day use of loaner car while they secure my Prius. Shopped around the Virginia dealers. Did not discussed trade-in. You could probably do better.

Later I got another $500 off. But that was with a trade-in so that does not count. I probably got ripped off by the trade-in.

1 person likes this.
  15. Lavender

Lavender New Member

Model:
    II
    Thanks Rhino. When people here quote $XX off MSRP, is that off the base MSRP ($22400 in the case of Prius II), or off MSRP+options? I got $850 off the MSRP+options figure, and I got a fair deal on my trade-in and a good financing rate. You feel I could do better on the discount itself?

16. 55+man

55+man New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MSRP back in Septmeber - maybe model too mine IV with sunroof

17. spinnsilly

spinnsilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't think it's a bad deal in terms of getting ripped off. It's a decent deal. Not a great deal either.
    I got my II with bluetooth for 22400. I think I got a fair deal too. I think it's all you can ask for!

18. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good question. For me it included options. They forced me to buy mats $200. The dealer prep was $379. Some dealers charge $750.

That's it.

If you really really have time. Here is how to pay the game. Go to another dealer and ask for a price with trade-in. Don't worry about paying for the Prius, agree to any price, act stupid. So the dealer thinks he is making a lot of money off of you. Act sentimental regarding the trade in. Since the dealer is making so much off of you, he'll offer you a good trade in price. Get it on paper. It does not have to be official, just with some letterhead. The dealer will give you a good price because when the trade in times comes, he will reaccess and say your car is worth less.

Now you take this high quote and go back to the dealer you like and ask them to come up a little based on your piece of paper.

Worked for me. I got another $500 on my trade-in. So my total discount was $1185. $685 off the Prius. $500 more on the trade-in.
    It is just a game. I am sure I am still getting ripped off somehow. The dealer is not totally stupid. I only have so much energy.

I also checked my trade-in with a number of dealers so I had a good idea of how much I can get for it.

But this takes a lot of time. Sometimes I think it is not worth it.

19. Lavender

Lavender New Member

Model:
    II
    Rhino - Wow. I don't have that much motivation I think :)

I called a couple other dealers in the area and they refused to even consider matching or beating this price on a Prius II. So I guess I'm taking this deal. I'd have been happy with $1500 trade-in for my Camry (paid $6500 for it more than six years ago and it won't start any more), so I figure overall I got a decent deal. First time negotiating/buying a new car, so I just needed some validation :)

Thanks guys.

20. wammo

wammo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    delivery on 12/3/09 in Houston TX: MSRP, with free window tint and coupon for the first 5000 mile service. Ordered the first of September, so I had to pay for the $400 increase in base and $680 increase in Solar Package price since that time. But I did not have to take any options or accessories I did not want which may happen when buying a car already on the lot.