1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much do you run your solar roof?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SolarBlizzard, Nov 25, 2015.

1. SolarBlizzard

SolarBlizzard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Question for those with the solar roof package: how often do you allow it to run? I would like to leave it on for 3-4 days a week at the airport (usually hot sun in Atlanta) while I am away on trips, and have it be reasonably cool when I return. Is this too much?

I'm thinking there would be wear and tear on the fan motor, but this might be offset by lower wear on the car interior and electronics by it being cooler. Any opinions?

The manual says turn it off if not necessary, to avoid pollution entering the car. Is that really a factor?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Leave mine on all the time. It only runs in the summer, of course, as it's too cool at other times.

BethPet and SolarBlizzard like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine also has been turned on year round, since buying the car more than three years ago. But between Pacific Northwest heavy overcast, and parking in a garage, it hasn't actually run very much.

SolarBlizzard likes this.
  4. CodyDouglas

CodyDouglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's never been turned off. Located in So. CA-it probably runs quite a lot and the car rarely gets hot inside even when parked in the sun.

BethPet and SolarBlizzard like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When leaving the car unused long periods, I would turn off so as to A) reduce cabin filter usage and B) fan motor life. I do the same thing with my home a/c.

#5 fotomoto, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. SolarBlizzard

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, guys. So that brings up another question: does this outside fan-pulled air always run through the cabin air filter? I see there seems to be a button specifically for activating "filtered air", and I believe it only filters it for a few minutes if I remember right...dang that owner's manual is like reading War and Peace--I'm only on chapter 347 so far!!!

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the solar package includes an upgraded heavier-duty fan, so I'm guessing it's rated for continuous duty? Can anyone confirm or deny? Has anyone heard of a cabin fan failing? I'm thinking about leaving it on full time (which would be a lot in Georgia), but I didn't want to be doing more harm than good.

Cody, that's pretty cool (pun intended) that your car rarely gets hot in direct summer sunlight! Are your windows tinted?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I leave it on all summer. Sometimes it even runs in the Spring when it's cold outside but the sun is getting strong. Funny.

The motor is upgraded on SR models because it's designed to run more often. It also means you may have to change your air filter more often (depending on your environment) because it is drawing in fresh air all the time (the vent opens 1 or 2 mins after you shut off the car).

The "filtered air" button is poorly described in the manual because it makes it sound like the air is only filtered when the button is pressed. What that button does is close off the vent entirely and recirculate the cabin air, sending it through the air filter again to clean the air. This is different from the normal recirculation mode because recirc only closes the vents 80% of the way. It still lets in 20% for safety reason (so you don't pass out while driving). The A/C may or may not come on during the "filtered air" mode.

It might not be a bad idea to keep it running. On one hand, you can keep the battery cooler by keeping the interior air cooler. No idea if that has any effect on longevity of the battery since the earliest cars are only 6 years old but heat is the enemy of a battery.

As for the pollution part, yeah it depends on where you park. For example, once a week, the café downstairs has a BBQ lunch in the summer so if I'm parked at work, I have to remember to shut off the SPVS otherwise it'll suck in the BBQ fumes and my car will smell like charcoal after work. Other examples is if you're parked in a park that has a dirt or gravel parking lot. You'd want to turn the SPVS off so that it doesn't suck in the dust.

8. SolarBlizzard

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, Tideland, that was an extremely useful answer. I never would have figured out that filter button entirely without your excellent and very clear explanation. I've more than gotten my money's worth out of this forum already!!

So since you leave your SPVS on all the time, how often do you change your cabin filter? Per the book's recommendations, more often just to be proactive, or can you somehow tell that the flow rate is reduced and it's time to change the filter? (If so, how often is this?)

I understand everybody's air quality is unique, but it would be useful to hear your (and anyone else's) experience. I'm thinking that a few more cabin filters over the next decade would definitely be worth a chance of extending battery longevity (and keeping me and "Pearl" more comfortable!)

P.S. Has anyone else named that sexy soothing navigation voice yet? Sorry Siri, there's another woman.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome! That's what forums are for - to pose questions to other owners and get answers.

It depends. I lived in a city where AQ is poor in the winter (as is typical anywhere that's a major city in an area that's cold) and the rest of the year, we deal with the dust from the sand that's used (cause salt doesn't work at low temperatures) so I was changing my filter twice a year. In a cleaner area, I can change it once a year (at the soonest) which is the same as our 2005 Prius in the same city. I do use an "aftermarket" filter (Fram particulate air filter from Canadian Tire). It's cheaper and a better filter than the standard Toyota filter (particulate vs. dust & pollen. Particulate filters capture the smaller particles. Dust & pollen are larger particles than particulates). Toyota Canada did start offering particulate filters through their dealership but given the dust & pollen was already more expensive, I wasn't gonna spring for the Toyota particulate filter. You can also change the filter yourself (it's behind the glovebox, no tools required).

10. SolarBlizzard

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks again. I should definitely stock up on those filters. How can you tell it's time to change them?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The glovebox is easy to remove so I check them once a year. I "dust" the filter out (like the old fashion days when people beat the rugs to get the dust out) to remove any loose leaves or larger particles. If your filter is white, well then you can visually check if it's time to change lol. If it's charcoal when new (some particulate filters have bits of charcoal in them), it'll be more difficult. I guess another way to tell is if the windows don't defog as fast as they used to (basically the air is restricted because the filter is clogged). Visual check is probably the easiest. And you'll figure it out for your area how often it needs to be changed.

12. SolarBlizzard

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once again, great info! I really appreciate your tips--they're making the learning curve a lot easier.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    To the OP
    Amazingly, I do not pay attention to it; it's there.............................minimizing my PSEG electrical bill

14. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Love it use it all summer

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hmm, -clean or replace the filter-. I've bashed it a few times, never replaced one. Heck, I don't need air anyway. The way people drive around here, I'm always holding my breath! ;)

16. phickson

phickson Tron Pod Occupier

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ditto here - you have to change your cabin filter more often though