1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much does a Prius battery weigh?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kidtwist, Feb 24, 2005.

1. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

I found a Prius-bashing website which says the Prius batteries weigh 600 pounds and cost over 5000 dollars. This sounds WAY off to me. I did a google search to see what the truth was, but found only a lot of conflicting information.

Does anyone know what they really weigh and cost?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ~100 lbs.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a friend with an older VW jetta he turned electric. his battery system weighs in at about 800 or 900lbs and has about the quarter of the power the prius does. he fell in love with my car instantly. he wants to keep his VW though.

I also have regenerative breaking, he doesn't :) hehe.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen figures quoted between $3000 and $5000 for a complete new battery pack from Toyota.

However, the packs are modular; there are 28 modules that can be replaced individually, so there may be no need to replace the whole set in the event of a failure.

Also there are already battery packs available from written-off vehicles. I don't know how much the salvaged battery packs are going for. It'd have to be at least $200, because that's what Toyota will give you for their return.

And don't forget the battery pack (together with the whole of the rest of the drivetrain) is covered by the 8-year/100,000-mile warranty.

For comparison with a real electric car, the GM EV1's NiMH battery pack weighs 1150lb, with a 26kWh capacity. The Prius's 100lb pack has a measly 1.3kWh capacity, of which it uses no more than 0.5kWh (to preserve its life).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't Speedracer say that it costs US$1,200 for a battery replacement right now (converting from ¥)

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Uh, I'll expire my warranty way before 2015, as it also has a mileage limit, not just a time limit.

... and 2015 is 10 years away for a 2005. 8 years for a 2004 would be 2012, possibly 2011 for early adopters.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's the 3 generations of battery-pack weights in pounds...

Original: 125

Classic: 110

HSD: 99

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sure weighs more than that! Try removing a 1st gen battery out thru the trunk! Feels heavier then you think. And also have to watch out for the sharp edges. As for replacing modules,I don't think you can,not offered. I did replace a battery a month ago(long story) and it was just under $3000 If I remember..... :roll:

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick,
    The 2G can, in theory, replace individual modules. In practice I'm going to guess it will rarely if ever happen in all but the newest batteries found to have just one bad module since a mix of old and new might cause problems.

Also, I'd like to hear the story of the 1G battery you had to replace. Not a lot of those have been done and it's good to know what the causes of those that have had to be replaced were.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would also like to hear Rick's story about replacing an HV battery.

What I remember hearing about individual battery module replacement concerns the 2001-2003 and it was that after you get them all sealed by the SSC40G, it becomes impossible (or perhaps just much harder?) to replace modules.

Even if Toyota does not sell modules, one could imagine the salvage parts market as a source.

12. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I knew you guys would want to hear a story :wink:
    Last fall I was doing a 40G on a 1st gen Prius. For those that don't know, basically you remove the Bus Bar that ties the modules together,clean all the positive posts and install new Bus Bars. Then you inject sealant between the bars and the module positive posts to prevent any future leakage. The sealant hardens below 35(?) and above 90(?) degrees. In between it is a liquid. After you seal all the posts,you need to check for resistence between a positive post and the metal case. Should have none. Then you use a hairdryer to get the sealant to setup.In this case,we had gotten very busy and I was pulled off to do a Wait customer before I got a chance to heat the sealant. Up on returning,some of the sealant had slowly run down a few modules and had gotton on the case. Taking a reading,I found continuity. I had run into this once before and had to remove a few modules to clean off the sealant. To break down the battery,you start from the drivers side and work your way towards the other end. In this case the modules needing cleaned were near the opposite side.As I worked down thru the modules I was about 5 from the opposite end. At this point one of the module mounting screws siezed up and snapped off. I called the region to see what they wanted me to do and they said just order a new battery. They are always looking for defective parts to give to schools. I know that the 1st gen is shown in the manual disassembled,but could find no info on the 2nd gen. Toyota may not want the batteries to be serviced at the dealer and would rather we just replace them. And after all this,my ASM learned a valuable lesson...never bother me when I am doing a 40G :D

13. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi John,

I 've seen different weights published by Dave Hermance:

New Efficiency Baseline 2004 Toyota Prius

Original: 76 kg or 167 pounds

Classic: 52 kg or 114 pounds

HSD: 45 kg or 99 pounds

Vincent

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Look closer. That is the complete weight of the "system", rather than just the battery itself.

The fact that the controllers and such weighed so much more in the past is of no surprise. Just like with most computer systems, weight has been reduced significantly since the mid 90's.

15. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Huh? Ken already pointed earlier that the battery itself weighs 64lbs, the assy is about 100lbs for the HSD.

The Classic has 38 modules, so the battery itself weighs 39.9kg or 88lbs, the assy is 52kg or 114lbs.

What am I missing?

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Doesn't HSD stand for Hybrid Synergy Drive? That would apply to all the Prius, not just the '04/'05, as they all use the PSD (Power SPlit Device) to combine electric and ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) power in synergy.

17. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yes, but prior to '04/'05, Toyota called it THS (Toyota Hybrid System) for the '98~'00 and '01~'03.

There are differences between THS & HSD, eg. higher-performance battery, higher-speed motor and generator. enhanced energy management, High voltage power circuit to boost the voltage to 500V, Expanded Regenerative range, etc.

A Guide To HSD

Vincent

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I know the improvements, but hate the term HSD.
    Now THS II I can understand.