How Much Does it Cost to Charge?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not that I have done any statistics on the data, but no, the number I read off from the Kill-a-watt meter for zero EV to full charge has been consistent 6.5-6.8kwh year around. Of course, some variation exists in numbers when I drove a short distance thus less charge was needed, but for a full charge, it is always more than 6.5kwh.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. Arthur McBeth

Arthur McBeth New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Iostp
    This a great post, but what does SOC mean and what number applies to my electric bill 5.5 or 6 .3?

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    SOC = State of Charge
    Your electric bill is always from the wall so 6.3kWh applies. However, if you are using L1 charger that came with the car, I am finding at wall charge is more like 6.4-6.8 kWh. I usually use 6.6 kWh / full charge for my calculation.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    @Salamander_King got to your question before me :)

5. ReDave

ReDave Junior Member

Central California, Sierra/Sequoia Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So... i want to use this to calculate when a charge station might be work paying for, but i'm guessing the filter button is not what i think it is? is there a spreadsheet out there? the formulas are above my ability...

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your calculation maybe complicated. I've never used a public charge station myself, but my understanding is that the method of charge may differ from a station to station. Some charge fee per minute connected. Here I have even read someone reporting that a public charge station continues to charge a fee even after the battery was full. Some others calculate fee by kWh drawn on the session. This would be ideal to compare to the cost of gas. Yet others charge by flat fee. So, unless you can figure out the exact cost of charge per kWh or cost to fill the battery full from zero EV to 100% charged at any given public charge station for the specific session, it would be difficult to compare the cost to gas. The rule of thumb is that if the cost of electricity in $/kWh x 6.3 (in another words complete charge from zero EV) is less than the cost of a half gallon of gas in your situation, using public charger is more cost-effective. This assumes your EV range is approximately half of mpg by gas only.

ReDave likes this.
  7. ReDave

ReDave Junior Member

Central California, Sierra/Sequoia Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True, ChargePoint is not clear how much you will be charged, until the end. I've only used it twice, and mostly for fun. Once i was charged 1.13 for 5.78kWh, the next time i was charged 3.30 for 6.55 kWh Yikes. I would like to think somewhere the charge was upfront, but ChargePoint like to put the blame on the location/facility. and it was not obvious what the cost was going to be at the start...
    OTOH both times gave me some EV in town miles, and bumped up my trip mpg to well above 60. Of course, my car, and my experience is way too new to know what straight HV mpg will end up being. That said, I love my Prime, and I'm pretty sure it will beat our 2015 prius, which never really got even 50 mpg. that one was a bit of an anomaly compared to our 2011 prius, and my daughters 2017 prius.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    There’s this thread too with graphs.

Gas or Electric: Which one is cheaper for the Prius Prime! | PriusChat

ChargePoint should show the cost on the screen. Yeah it is up to the individual locations to set the charge rate.

ReDave likes this.
  9. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Most L2 chargers by me are free (for now), so is always worth it to plug in when possible. At home it's $0.11/kWh.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In my experience with public ChargePoint stations, the fee calculation was displayed on the screen before starting the charge. The owner of each ChargePoint station determines the fee. This is different from Blink, where the fees are set by Blink based on what kind of account you have with them.

Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just used a Blink charger at the Sacramento IKEA this morning and it was $0.59 per kWh.

Knew the price up front;).

Then made a Plus account for a better rate in the future(y).

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow! At that price, unless the gas is above $7/gal, it makes no sense to charge PRIME.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Meh, I had an 85% full battery;).

It was more for the kids than anything (they like to help “charge the car”):).

So total charge was $0.79 and we spent $2.97 inside while the kids played for 1.5 hours in Smalland. We were killin time until we had to arrive in Elk Grove this afternoon. Holiday traffic in Nor Cal can be bad on holiday weekends so we leave early:cool:.

We put flags on the graves of the vets at the Sacramento Valley Veterans Cemetary too. Always a good way to spend the morning recognizing those that have served(y).