1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much electric distance are the Primes getting?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Eric Maple, Nov 17, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's a boatload of real-world data...

Oniki and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That is a awesome amount of data!
    Where did the right 1/3rd of the lower video inset come from?
    Is that disc brake icon showing actual friction brake usage?!! I would love to have this system available on my BEV!
    Did the battery pack really get to 140° F? Is that typical? Is that OK with Toyota?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is the "Hybrid Assistant" app.

Yes, that is an actual friction indicator.

No, the pack did not get that hot. The gauge with that value was motor temp. The one that's battery shaped is for pack temp... which is much lower.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting to note that at one of the acceleration sections from a stopped traffic light, the max power output from the two motors is 68-69kW (even though the theoretical max output is 76kW).

Also, the EV portion of the battery is 13%-81% true SOC?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe 76kW is the max for HV mode, hence being a little faster.

13-83% is the EV portion of the pack, a deeper discharge than with gen-1.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. MG2's max power is 53kW. Total system net hp is 92kW.

Nice. So it does seem that deeper discharge is not as bad as full recharge. Also, that means Prime owners don't have to worry about fully recharging their car since Toyota limits it to 83% true SOC anyway.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good point. I was trying to come up with max battery plus generate for an "electric" total. But only so much can actually be consumed at that moment. Where did you get 76 from?

8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The video title could be a little misleading, to some...
    The smelly gasser did fire up during your commute.
    And you had to use the friction brakes a little bit.

A similar PHEV could have done this 'commute' without any of that happening.
    And you could drive as fast as you like without worrying about waking the smelly gasser.

But a lot of Primes are being sold, for some reason...
    They will be good stepping stones for a lot of people to consider going full BEV!

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am well aware of your history with Volt and your perspective for Prius... with the hope you wouldn't stir that pointless pot again. That similar PHEV is so far beyond affordability & profitably, my question to you is: How does that make any difference to ordinary consumers?

The point of that video I just filmed & shared was to answer that question. It clearly shows there is no need for more range & power. Sure, more is nice to have, but is by no means required to significantly reduce emissions & consumption.

GM simply isn't interested in selling an expensive small hatchback, period. That's why I asked the "Who is the market for Volt?" question hundreds of times over the past decade. It never made any sense. There was no target audience within the base of loyal GM customers. They clearly desire Pickups & SUVs instead. That's why Volt sales were limited to just conquest buyers taking advantage of early-adopter discounts.

+200 MPG for an ordinary commute is what will a major draw for Prius Prime. It's hybrid that offers so much EV driving, use of the engine is a complete non-issue. Efficiency is outstanding regardless of how you drive. Emissions are too, since that plug-supplied electricity is used as much as possible. All that from an affordable package that will appeal to dealers is a winning design that will draw interest from the masses. It is clearly a mainstream vehicle from automaker to ordinary consumer.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember now lol. I was looking through my notes from the NY Auto Show and I can't find that mention.

11. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ....getting some popcorn....

benagi and Tideland Prius like this.
  12. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As I point out TCO is different for all PHEV owners. You have to factor: EV / GAS ratios, routine maintenance costs, Local and Fed Tax incentives, your local electric and gas costs, how much you enjoy oil changes, etc,,,
    over your expected ownership of a PHEV.

I'm not sure where to start when you say 'Far beyond affordable', I assume you are only looking at MSRP?
    Sometimes the more expensive PHEV can have a much bigger payback with operating costs.

'profitability' ? What consumer EVER cares about that?

Look for Nutritional Yeast Flakes at a WF near you! It makes popcorn a much more nutritious and tasty food!
    A better TCO for your body's food and fun needs !

Oh, did I mention the Fun Factor in TCO? No? Because that is not something you can calculate.
    You just have to punch the GO pedal and feel the silent power!!

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The "U" in FUD stands for Uncertainty. You know all too well I am referring to MSRP. You also know that mainstream shoppers don't care about TCO. If they did, there would be no such thing as a SUV for commuting. Know your audience.

Such a fundamental error... Not knowing audience is a huge mistake quite common to posts like this... Ugh.

DEALERS ARE THE CUSTOMERS, NOT THOSE WHO PURCHASE THE VEHICLE !!!

Understand why? You should. If dealers aren't interested, there's nothing for the consumer to actually purchase. That was a major reason why Volt struggled so much. Dealers simply weren't interested. Why offer a small, expensive, difficult-to-explain hatchback that provides a razor-thin return when you can just offer highly-profitable, easy-to-sell SUVs instead?

It's amazing how so many people claiming to understand the market don't recognize the importance of how vehicles are sold. What incentive is there for a salesperson to bother when the dealer they work for shows no interest?

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There does seem to be a mismatch between what's being promoted, what's being sold, and what many buyers want. Undoubtedly there is some logic even if it is not obvious. At least one would hope.

For example, this recent story:

Chevy Bolt EVs back-ordered by up to a year in Canada
    Over a year after its launch, the Chevy Bolt EV is still alone as an all-electric vehicle with a range of over 200 miles for less than $40,000, but GM hasn’t taken the opportunity to sell more vehicles despite clear important demand. In Canada, the significant demand and limited availability have created a backlog of up to a year with some dealerships telling potential buyers that the wait time has increased for up to 12 months for people getting on the wait list right now.

Read the rest of this story here.

What I find interesting is that even though the Bolt and the Volt are both within the broad market segment of "electric vehicles", in my encounter with a local dealership to test-drive a Bolt, the sales person never once mentioned the Volt as an alternative. (Of course, if we had not been sitting inside a Bolt, I doubt that he would have mentioned the Bolt either.)

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    >Who pays MSRP?
    I see some big 'incentives' are being offered! There are some State tax breaks in addition to the Federal tax break (which is $7500 for top of the line PHEV's).

>>
    Too true!! Most don't care, or even want to think about TCO. They're too busy picking out the right color...:whistle:

>>>
    I don't know the market.
    I know PHEV's and BEV's very well and how much each would cost me to operate in terms of purchase price after all the incentives and tax breaks, gas, electricity, tires, and that lovely oil change process, etc...
    (55 mile RT highway (70-80mph) commute, can plug in L2 at each end (free at work! and 9 months a year mostly only charge at work!) and live in the gadawful midwest with the biggest temp extremes on earth :()

Some people live in a climate where a Non-TMS PHEV's battery pack does not have to deal with temp extremes and have a short commute. A lesser PHEV is fine for them!

And then I read maybe 30% of these cars are leased. Car renters don't care diddly about these things. They return the car in 2 years.​

Who knows what goes through the heads of these Plaid Suit wearing AH's... They only care about their take home pay. They are trained in the ways of BS and Schmooze: "Hello, Doris! My mother's name was Doris!" :p

I can't wait for the day when I can order my Chevy Bolt (with SuperCruise) through Amazon and go pick it up at an Amazon Locker.
    I'll probably be waiting a long time...:cautious:
    Until then I'm fine with my 82 mile rated BEV Hot Rod S-Box, (even as the Dreaded Degradation is showing at 52 k miles...:unsure:)

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1 question.
    1 observation.

1. John, did you pay MSRP??? Come on buddy, you can tell us!! ;)

2. This is so so true!!
    Hopefully with the Prime and the Honda Clarity being advertised and having decent sales, more and more people will educate themselves about all the different kinds of PHEV's, and maybe BEV's!

I never knew why it was difficult to grasp the concept of a PHEV....

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We told you why... 4 years ago. Look up those old threads.

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure what you mean..
    Is it still just as difficult for you to understand a PHEV?
    You bought one....

I'm just glad some manufacturers are taking on the advertising challenge to help people, like you, to understand the simple concept and math involved in the economy of driving a PHEV.

I find them great stepping stones to embracing the clean energy future of BEV's !!!

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Goodbye.