1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how much is gas in your area?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PLSPUSH, Apr 11, 2013.

1. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was very excited to only pay $3.879 / gallon at Costco on the 7th.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get the feeling that us Californians pay a steep gas tax compared to other states in the Union.

3. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not been out today, but yesterday Kokomo, IN was $3.29-$3.33 while the NE area of Indy was $3.39-$3.45. It was strange that one gas station between the two towns was $3.88!

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Duh,,, you guys live in taxland USA. :)

JMD likes this.
  5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NY has the highest gas tax.

JMD likes this.
  6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The gas I use "CNG" is about a dollar pumped at home and around two dollars at most pumping station in California. It's clean, there is a 100+ year supply, it keeps money here and could employ many if'n we'd just invest. The infrastructure is in place, the technology is available off the shelf but for some reason we continue wasting billions on Electric Powered Vehicles and solar panels.

spiderman and JMD like this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much $ to fill your tank and how many miles you get on a full tank

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's A$ 1.42 a litre here now. That works out to US$ 1.49 per litre / US$ 5.64 for a US gallon.

So, not as expensive as Grumpy Cabbie's petrol, but we do pay a lot more than the Americans. And it fluctuates wildly - it was A$ 1.24 last week.

Indeed. You Americans get cheap petrol because BP kindly delivers crude directly to your beaches. And all you do is complain.

In China, most of the taxis (Hyundai Sonatas in Beijing and VW Santanas in Shanghai) run on CNG or LPG. And in Australia, most of our taxis (Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores) run on LPG, which I think is pretty much the same as CNG, and is half the price of petrol here.

I went to Japan on holiday at Christmas, and loads of the taxis were CNG MkII Priuses. I suspect they'd be just about the cheapest-to-run cars you could possibly have.

JMD likes this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honda Civic sells a CNG car in California. It never was widely accepted here. CNG is very common for fleet use, city buses, UPS deliveries, etc.

10. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Haven't purchased gas in six weeks and I still have a full tank. Glad to see lower fuel prices. It's good for consumers and the world economy. What's up with gold? Down two hundred dollars an ounce in less than a week.

JMD likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although I've heard of people refueling CNG cars at home via Phill, I'd heard that Honda no longer recommends that.

2012 Honda Civic - Frequently Asked Questions - Official Honda Website says
    2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Test – Review – Car and Driver from a year ago says it's available in 36 states now.

As for gas prices in my area, I saw gas at an expensive station earlier today at $3.99/gal for regular and $3.79 at a cheaper one.
    You sure about Beijing taxis being Hyundai Sonatas? I went in 08 and they were mostly Elantras. Correct on the VW Santanas in Shanghai.

Yeah, it seems that many run on LPG, at least in Shanghai.

hkmb likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So it's deadly dangerous to charge an electric car at home as it will undoubtedly set fire to your house, but it's ok to plug in your car to your home natural gas supply? Hmmm

13. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The CNG tank is around 11.5 to 12.5 gallons. If you fast fill at a high pressure pump, mostly commercial outlets, I can get around 11-12 gallons. At home, slow fill, I can fill it all the way up. The best I've gotten was after a fast fill when I went 225 miles before switch over to regular gas. I have around 750 miles range between CNG 12.5 gal and reg. gas right at 30 gal. My bladder would never last that long! :p

CNG fueled vehicles are much safer than reg gas cars. The flash point is higher, the gas is lighter than air and disperses quickly and the high pressure tank is virtually bullet proof. THat said check this out . . .

JMD likes this.
  14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So about 18 MPG of Propane

But it is good for the environment and cheap

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    went a month and a day between fillups but gas did drop from $3.739 in March to $3.569 in April

16. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yep, or slightly more since it was a high pressure fill and wasn't completely full. BTW it's not Propane, I believe Propane is a refined product of Natural Gas and also more expensive. Natural Gas pretty much comes direct from the well, through a standard(?) filter, dried in some cases then pumped under pressure into your tank. That's why it's so cheap, no refining, in fact you could probably pump it from most well heads you see in the oil fields. My pump, Phill, has a drying cycle it puts the NG through if it detects that too much moisture is present.

JMD likes this.
  17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad someone is paying attention (and it's not me). Yes, I should have said Elantras. There are lots of Sonatas in Hangzhou.

Those old-shape Hyundais (from before they suddenly became all swoopy and cool) all look the same to me. They're still making the old Elantras as taxis in Beijing.

18. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

down to $3.10

19. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3.339 in Tampa area. Some places still in the 3.40s

20. Shishir Shukla

Shishir Shukla Induslad