1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much is it worth spending on a new hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Flying Egg, Jan 5, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <popcorn emoji>

05PreeUs and jerrymildred like this.
  2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    05PreeUs - So much for your "REAL numbers and not estimates". The Edmunds "real" number you cite is clearly labeled as being the EPA ESTIMATE. Real world reporting at fuelly.com on the 2006 Prius is 44mpg, not the 46 you claim. At fueleconomy.gov only 2 from that year are still being reported. One is 46.8 mpg, the other is substantially lower at 40.4.

Regarding that 23.8 number from TreeHugger. They include pickup trucks, four wheel drives and luxury cars as part of it. That is not an accurate reflection of the used car market that is being considered here.

You are also not including the value of the Prius itself as part of the transaction. A used 2006 Prius in only "fair" condition is worth over $3,000 as a trade in around here. Adding the $3,000+ trade-in value for a 2006 Prius in only "fair condition" to the price of the battery changes the equation dramatically. There are plenty of used vehicles in decent condition that get 27-30 mpg when you take that into account.

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy...

What can a person purchase for $3700 STEALership battery cost or $2500 reasonable?

A Prius with a dead HV pack is maybe worth $1000, IF you can find a buyer and less on a trade, if anything.

So the question remains, WHAT CAN YOU BUY as a replacement for the price of a HV pack? NOT A HELL OF A LOT!

Or 05 gets 48 consistently, but YMMV as we keep ours per OEM specs (LRR tires correctly inflated, correct oil weight, good alignment, no junk in the truck etc). So that is MORE than the average, I've seen 52 MPG, but not often and never lower than 44.

Do you know ..234 what the highest resale value is right now? SUVs, THOSE are the vehicles in demand, so the average person is looking for vehicles that get substantially LESS then the average MPG, not more. Granted, a Prius owner would likely not be in that group, but when used prices of efficient cars falls, the percentage that are crushed goes up because their value is low.

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For $3700, not much. For $4700 ("stealership" + your figure of $1000 as a trade-in) we picked up a 2007 Yaris sedan with 98k miles on it that has delivered a 32 mpg average for my wife since we purchased it in Glendora last summer. The problem with the car? A few minor dings on the body and the automatic door locks don't work properly so we have to lock and unlock them manually. Apparently whoever put in the alarm system screwed up that part of the wiring and the owner never bothered to track it down to repair. That and it's still on the airbag recall list.

Cars like that are not easy to find but they are out there. Locally right now a 2012 Fiat 500 with 96k miles is being offered for $3995 and a 2012 Nissan Versa S hatchback with 101k miles is $4998. There are a lot of nice cars from 2008-2009 available in that price range. Are they great options compared to the shape the Prius needing a battery is in? I don't know. Such things are out there and the Prius owner will have to make his/her own decision.

Your 48 mpg in your personal car is irrelevant. Not every car delivers your figure, even when well cared for. So I opt for a real-world reporting average figure.

You still haven't explained to us how the EPA estimate is a real world number and not an estimate.

#44 srellim234, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I notice you posted if you get a new Hybrid battery with a "NEW OEM battery" that the Hybrid battery would last a long time. Well when you replace an old battery for a new battery did they also replace the OEM battery. What is OEM battery?. I'm asking because I just replaced my hybrid battery in my 2007 Prius with 108,900 miles. Should I have any concerns ??

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    original equipment manufacturerer. iow, did you get it from a toyota dealer?

edit; i see from your other thread that you did. so yes, you have an oem toyota battery with a 3 year warranty.

#46 bisco, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, OEM in the automotive industry stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    If you got your battery new, through Toyota, you're probably OK.