1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much is too much $$ to spend?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NYMama, Jun 23, 2008.

1. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Browercreed,

There are a lot of things to consider, and everyone has different requirements and spending comfort levels. In my case I wanted to pay cash and not have car payments, so I looked at what the bottom line would be - i.e. what I would write the check for. When I bought 7 weeks ago I paid just over $25K out the door (total including tax, license, title, etc.) for a brand new 2008 #4. Leather isn't a necessity for me as I have some very nice seat covers that protect the seats and are very comfortable. I also have my own portable GPS system that I like much better than the factory system (which I think is garbage) - and cost me much less than the difference between a package #4 and #5. Plus I get to keep it if/when I sell my Prius and I can use it in any car (or even plane!) I want at any time. Like I said, everyone's requirements are different - just sharing some of mine.

Another thing to consider is your total expenditure on the car. It sounds like you said the price you were quoted was $29,100 before tax, etc. I don't know what the sales taxes are in Arkansas, but I'd want to know what the total out-the-door cost would be, or if you are financing what the total costs would be over your financing term including your interest on the loan. If you pay cash you may be up around $32-33K to drive it off the lot. That far exceeds my personal comfort level, but if you are OK with that then by all means do it - especially if gas goes to $7/gallon as you speculated you'll definitely make it back over the life of the vehicle.

No one knows what will happen in the future - the info I got from my dealer contact could be totally wrong. There are a lot of variables that could effect gas prices and the supply and demand of Priuses on dealer lots. We have to use our best judgment and make the choices that best suit our own individual needs. I just wanted to share with you some of the things I considered and decided when I made my purchase.

One thing is for sure - when you consider all the facts (fuel economy, lowest depreciation, cool features, etc.), a Prius is about the best automotive purchase you can make nowadays :D

Let us know what you decide!

2. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please shop some more. Also consider dealers not in your area. Use the extra $$$ for a plane ride and a nice drive back home or to ship the car back home.
    Good Luck!!

3. browercreed

browercreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've gotten an offer for one like this except without touring but it was about $700 more for some reason. Every place I've called has been higher on their prices and most don't have
    any not already assigned. I love the leather and plan to add heat, but don't guess I need the
    GPS - it's just what was on this one that had the color I wanted with touring.
    Guess I should try a few more calls, but this one should be here in a few days. Actually,
    I'm doing the shopping and my wonderful husband is doing the paying! haha Like you
    he doesn't finance.

4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    at the risk of making a truly "obscure" suggestion ... have you considered looking at eBay??? there are LOTS of Prius listed there - some through private sellers ... some through dealerships - and MANY of them have the "Buy it Now Price" option. IF you can find any listed on eBay that meet your color and package choice considerations and are located close to where you live, that MIGHT be an option. also ... MOST of the ones i saw on eBay are "listed" at below $30000 ... and SOME of those were package sixes ....

also ... it must be NICE having had a chance to test-drive a Prius; where i live, they're almost impossible to find / look at ... let alone take out for a spin!!!

5. browercreed

browercreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At North Point in Little Rock they had one they were using only for ppl to drive.
    :target:

6. TravelBliss

TravelBliss It's worth the wait !!!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Demand and prices for the Prius are going nowhere but UP...
    I'd get on a WL now....

7. Lexus_Prius

Lexus_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you pay anywhere near 30k for the prius then it would only be worth it if a. gas prices get really high, b. you keep it for much longer than what is probable, or c. you really like it

it makes more fiscal sense to get another compact car with more power and less initial cost as the break even point becomes REALLY high when you consider that you're paying 30k for a lower end car

that said if you just love the car that can't be quantified :)