1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much longer will my battery last? (2004, 100K mi)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jhgreen, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jhgreen

jhgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I own a 2004 Prius and I love it.

I recently passed the 100,000 mile mark and the inspection revealed no apparent problems. Ever since 2004 I've consistently gotten 50+ MPG.

I have also searched the forum and read of a few lucky people who have driven more than 200K in their 2004 models. Assuming my Prius has an average lifetime, how many more miles do you think can I expect before the battery fails? Also, I need new tires. Based on your answer to the above, which tires should I buy? I don't want to pay for some premium tires that will last 60,000 miles if I can only expect to get another 15,000 out of my Prius.

Thanks,
    jhgreen

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery is not that hard to replace and is pretty cheap if you buy a salvage unit and DIY install or find an independent mechanic who will take the time to learn how to do that without getting killed. Failure of the battery does not have to signal end-of-life for the car.

Its hard to say how long the battery will last, and usually there's little or no warning. One day the car is fine, the next your instrument panel looks like a Christmas tree.

I'd say that once you get beyond 150K miles, each day the car starts without incident is a little bonus from your pool of good luck.

I've owned three Toyota hybrids and had two traction battery failures (both covered by warranty) so that partially offsets the stories that you read about taxis with 300K miles etc.

Not everyone can be like Jeanne Calment who lived to the age of 122 years.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_people]Oldest people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

3. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My battery just went out at 171k. And it happened just as Patrick explained. Good luck.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Toyota still asserts that the NHW20 battery has a very low failure rate. While there have been several failures reported here and elsewhere, I would still consider a typical lifetime to be substantially longer than 150-170 k miles.

Based on Art's Automotive, and other evidence, the difference between maximum and minimum module voltages may tell you how close you are to the end of days. But this info must be purchased in most cases. Are you curious enough to pay Toyota to scan module voltages during charge and discharge cycles?

5. jhgreen

jhgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much for your input. So now I feel that, with any luck, I should be able to get as much as 50,000 miles more out of my car. Since I need new tires, do you have any opinion on the General Ultimax HP tires that my service station recommended ($60 per tire, rated for 55,000 miles), or should I go with more expensive Michelin tires that I've read about as well? Or is there a different tire that you've had a good experience with?

6. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, unfortunately I don't know the tire you mention, but I have Michelins (Pilot Primacy) on my Prius and it is undoubtedly the best tire I ever had, although a bit more expensive, to be fair (I didn't buy them, those are the original tires that the car had as it came from the factory). I would go for the Michelins again, it is worth the money in my opinion.

You might be interested in this test:

When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

and also in this thread here at the Priuschat:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ack-test-fuel-efficient-tires.html#post959099

Good luck and congrats on your reliable car!:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  8. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just topped 242k on my 2004 before seeing the Christmas Tree light up. There were plenty of warning signs though... I was routinely getting 51 to 53 mpg and over the last 6 months and that has dropped to 40 to 42. The SOC became less stable too. it would quickly charge and discharge. I also noted that the it would lose charge overnight causing the engine to run longer and harder on initial startup.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  10. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My '04 has 199K and is apparently still on the original battery. It lived in Massachusetts, most of its life, and probably had less hot-weather stress (and more under-body corrosion "opportunities") than it may now experience in hot-lanta. I expect to see some of the above described indications prior to a full failure. To date, charge/discharge times seem to be within the typical forum experience.

11. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the number of years is probably more important than # of miles. I've got 264,000 miles on my 2004 (Nov. 03) 5 years in the S. West, with no Batt. problems. And there are people who have the gen. one Prius's (2000-2003) who haven't replaced their batt's yet. And I agree with Paktrick Wong, batt. problems aren't neccesarily a death penalty when the car is saving so much money every mile you drive it.