1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much money do you save each time you plug in and charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pdxman1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. pdxman1

pdxman1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I are just starting to consider a Prius Plug-in and so I've started looking around here.

Obviously plugging in at home every night is a no-brainer. It is easy and you'll save money.

But I see a lot of discussions about finding charging stations on day trips and I wonder how much money you save by finding a place to charge and charging once. I know for some people, getting the most MPG is a fun challenge, so it may not be important, but for me if I'm going to spend ten extra minutes finding a place to charge and hooking up or if I'm going to modify my route to be at a charging station when I need to, I'd like to know how much gas (money) I'll be saving with one charge. How much will I save if I charge for a half hour? an hour?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At home it would depend on how much you pay per kwh. It is different or everyone and not a set in stone figure.

Also, assuming even 240v level 2 charging, half n hour really isn't much of a charge. Maybe 5 miles. At 110v with the supplied charger you're talking approx. 3 miles.

3. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't go out of my way to find one. But if there is one, I will use it.

I want empty EV and plugged into a 240 L2 charger for 38 minutes and that gave me 8.4 miles.

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depending where you live, most charging stations where I live don't charge any money for charging my PIP.

5. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To help the OP with a prius getting 58mpg and gas at $3.50 it costs about 6 cents per mile in gas. So, a charge adding 5 miles will save ~30 cents. So, as was said it does not really seem worth it go out of your way to get a short charge.

6. I have two destinations daily in which I charge free, a gym and a shopping center. Whenever possible I try not to charge at home. There are numerous places where one can charge free, you just have to search them out.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i pay about .50 for a charge at home that takes me about 15 miles. at 60 miles a gallon, 15 miles on gas is about a dollar depending on where you are. so i save about .50 per charge.

8. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You will not really save that much gas, especially if the charging station is not on your route already. And time is money for many of us, so waiting an hour and a half at a 240v outlet for a full charge could actually cost a pretty penny.

That said, it seems like a Pip will save somewhere between 1/5 and 1/4 gallon of gas with each full charge. (based on 60MPG in HV and a 12-15 mile "full charge" EV range)

Unfortunately, those rough numbers are simply a result of straight forward arithmetic, and the arithmetic doesn't really take into full account the nuanced mathematics of a Prius PHEV's true MPGe mileage.

9. On trip B I have 99mpg for over 1000 miles, in money saved, what does that equate to ?

10. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    About $22.00 minus the cost of charging.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From what I gather on mynissanleaf.com, that's starting to change.

I'd suspect that for many places where charging isn't free, charging up costs more than using gasoline.

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of the seventy four charging stations in my area, only four charge a fee.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In MN I believe I have seen one location that is free. John may have a better idea, he may see them more often than I.
    At locations that charge, most are more expensive than gasoline (for a Prius).
    Charging at home, fuel (electricity) costs me about 24 cents to go as far as a similar gas guzzler would go on a gallon of gas. Or about 75 cents to go as far as a Prius would.

14. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you guys have charging stations.

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars! in your state, 14 charge a fee, 61 are free

16. Even tho they are free now, this will change, I mean this is why the investors put these chargers in. However, paying for charging will never work as one always has the alternative of home charging. Even at $1.00 most people will not use this option, with exception of the all electric, they have no choice.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC the break-even elec refill cost is somewhere around 0.22 - 0.24 cents per kWhr at $4 gasoline. Most of US pays less for elec, but NY and CA are two states where you may not see a refill savings (except of course the free electrons away from home are free).

You can Google "EPA power profiler" to enter your zip code and get an idea of your cost and what fuels your elec is made from also. I think the EPA website does not use real up-to-date numbers but it's fun to play with.

18. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The cost to charge for me is "it depends", and so do the savings.

When I originally got the PiP, to charge at home cost me roughly a dollar per charge, if I used the top tier rate for electricity (33.9 cents a kWh) to compute it. At that rate, gas had to be above $4 a gallon to break even (which isn't hard in CA). However, if I used the average price for electricity for that month's bill, it would come out to between 75 and 78 cents a charge. At that point, gas could be as low as $3 a gallon, and I'd still be ahead of the game. However, since I've recently gone solar and moved to a TOU plan, a full charge for me is potentially free, depending upon how I've accumulated excess production credits.

Another factor is that I can charge at work for free. So any errands that I run during lunch won't cost me a dime of electricity or gas.

But the biggest savings for me is the time spent commuting. Getting into the commuter lane has helped a lot.

19. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are lots of affordances and constraints in maximizing the benefits from PHEV ownership. But after dropping the dimes for the Advanced model, there really is little or no savings involved. From an economic standpoint it was a rather insane purchase. What little coin may be saved in gasoline is spent on servicing the loan for the car. I don't think many people REALLY thought they would save money buying a Revision One PHEV, however.

But time IS money for many of us, and at least in California and a few other states, getting onto the freeway quickly and moving right past the stop and go gassers is worth lots more than can ever be measured monetarily.

rogerv and Jimbo69ny like this.
  20. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lol, that's pathetic! only two charging stations.

Three Hills Properties is proud to be in the beginning stages of offering charging points at our rental properties. These charge points will be for our residents however if you drive an EV and are in a pinch call me. If it is available I may be able to help you out. Call me first though, parking is tight and you will get towed if you dont call me. Three Hills Property Management