1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much money do you save each time you plug in and charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pdxman1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was all about payback we would be buying 91' Honda Civic's and getting 35 mpg's.
    BUT we like toys, new tech, and new cars.
    So buy this car IF you are going to purchase a new car anyway and want the newest, best, most advanced car available.
    NOT because you HOPE to break even or even save money by not consuming as much gasoline.

2. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    lmao! Priuskitty, you are quite the little stalker.

I dont know if you knew or just got lucky but yes, I own Three Hills Properties. Its a small property management company but I have made it my mission to install EV power stations at all of my properties within the next few months. I actually just added my address' to plugshare.com today.

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just lucky, I saw your post "At least you guys have charging stations." and looked your city up on plugshare

4. Very good Jimbo, it's good to see that there are people that understand the whole concept of PHEVs, BEVS and other alternate modes of clean transportation. And you practice what you preach. Congradulations !

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm guessing the OP lives in the Portland, OR area given the PDX acronym. It would be nice if the location field were mandatory.

I can see many non-free charging stations in Portland on Plugshare.

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Funny.....I just checked Portland, OR area and found 41 stations. checked and unchecked stations w/fee and without fee. the same 41 stations appear . So either they're all free or all charge a fee? upon further investigation I noticed parking is not free.....bummer

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Is there a reliable way to get a count? Plugshare's behavior seems inconsistent and perhaps doesn't show the count if there are "too many".

8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just zoom in on the city, then check the box for filter " stations w/fee and the station count appears on the top of the map momentarily then I uncheck it and the station count appears again. I don't move the zoomed area tho

9. Ayerscreek

Ayerscreek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you think about each charge, it doesn't seem like you are saving much, but I, too, was curious about the overall savings so took the spreadsheet that ukr2 posted and modified it to see how much I was saving over a month's time by using electricity. I compared it to my previous car which got 25 mpg. I drive about 1,000 miles a month and get cheap electricity, .07 kwh. With gas at $3.59 a gallon, I saved $130.00 the first month. That is figuring .07 for each kwh because I didn't have figures for how many times I charged for free. All those charges do add up. Will probably not recharge as much once they start charging for the stations, but still if you drive a fair amount and didn't have a Prius beforehand, and have cheap kwh, the savings can add up.

10. Ayerscreek

Ayerscreek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, in the Portland area, the newer Freddies have free for now charging stations. Walgreens charges $2.00 per hour so is not worth it for a Prius. Some libraries and municipal buildings have charging stations that are still free and hopefully will remain so. I don't go far out of my way, but use when it is convenient. There is a free charge station across from the civic auditorium!