1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much of a factor is a slightly corroded connection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by George W, Dec 4, 2019.

1. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just returned from my holiday trip with my new Hybrid battery pack. The old Prismatic cells have been stored for 3 weeks. I took them out to inspect for physical problems, and other than slightly corroded battery posts, don't see anything else on the outside.

I also took a meter to all 28 of them, and there are no odd ducks. I had read from other members that if you leave a weak cell alone for a Time, you could measure a voltage drop on it. All 28 of these cells (statically) measure within two tenths of a volt with each other. The lowest reading was 7.65 volts and the highest was 7.85 volts.

Clearly there needs to be some load testing occur here, but from a static point of view I'm not seeing an obvious problem. Did not see any signs of leakage around the mounting post. Did not see any cracks or fractured plastic around the terminals. Do not see any bulging or discoloration anywhere on the exterior of these cells.

The only variation amongst these 28 batteries is from the terminal post. The majority of them have typical wear. A couple of them look like the picture.

20191204_201747~2.jpg

Could this corrosion scarring on the post cause the pack to become unbalanced? Thanks.

#1 George W, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes and the interconnect that’s bolted to it is corroded also. Corrosion is resistance is current is heat,

Everything should be clean and shiny and then protected from further corrosion by using some anti corrosive
    Grease like No-Ox.

Clean the posts replace the nuts replace the harness. If not you will be back in back In there.

George W and jerrymildred like this.
  3. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have already discarded the OEM harness because I converted to cylinder batts from 2K1Toaster. However, I was considering reconditioning my original batteries for my next Prius. A new harness certainly wouldn't hurt.