1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much of an improvement is the 3rd gen vs 2nd and 1st?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius-Forever, May 4, 2010.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose if you were to add "value" to each pro and con, the Gen III is still the best of the bunch.

That being said, if your 2008 Gen II is reliable and doing well for you, I'd hold out for the mid-cycle refresh for the Gen III (if I had to guess, MY2012) - let them "revise" a few of the quirks out. Same thing happened when the 2006 Prius released - they made the NAV better and revised some of the safety features (weight driven passenger airbag, standard side-curtain airbag, slightly better traction-control). I remember having a few service campaigns or warranty replacements to "revise" the more critical problems on my 2004 (brake switch, melting tail-lenses, steering linkage, revised fuel filler, etc.).

Granted, waiting does allow the price to climb somewhat, but usually there's value added to that price.

2. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2001 is getting about 51 - 53 right now. Pretty good for practically 10 model years old.

I would love to think about a new Prius. But I would want at least 60 mpg. I thought the new ones did better, but reading this I'm not so sure.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We are getting the same MPG but my wife's ZVW30:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 ZVW30 operation NHW11 operation
    1 warm-up drive directly to destination warm-up drive 1.5 mile @25 mph
    2 cruise 70-75 mph cruise 65 mph
    3 climb hills 70 mph climb hills 55 mph
    4 carry 12 ft ladder carry 6 ft lumber
    5 AC off at stops AC on as needed
    6 minimum heat plenty of heat
    7 quieter engine valve noise
    8 warranty no warranty
    9 much improved traction battery first prismatic battery
    Two drivers: NHW11 commuting car and ZVW30 trips and errands.

As a general rule, the first generation is mostly right but has a few flaws. The second generation fixes the worst flaws but introduces or exacerbates previously minor problems. The third generation fixes everything and remains fairly stable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In our case, we had a 2001 Echo, our backup vehicle. Now the ZVW30 is the backup to my NHW11 commuting car and provides efficient, higher speed, cross-country service.

Bob Wilson

4. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have the2008 worth tge upgrade to 2010 or not? Not lot of money