1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much room is there when upgrading front door speakers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jeffrimerman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm recycling the orignal plastic thing to hold my new infinity 6x9s. I think I need to trim more plastic to get it to fit more flush. I put it in but I think the screws I'm hold my new 6x9 to it are also pushing it out from the door body a couple milimeters. I should have had them run into the plastic and when I went to put them back in the doors I could tell the screws were hitting barely. Now when I tried to put door panels on it wouldn't snap shut where the speaker was. Oh well no quick swap for me. I'll do it right tomorrow.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same problem the screws touching the door/
    with certain songs the whole door panel was vibrating/
    the screws were touching this little enhancement things at the door panel, so I took an exacto knife & leveled everything there/
    no more problems/

Jeffrimerman likes this.
  3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll use my soldering iron to make the speakers fit flush and see if that fixes it and then maybe melt a couple spots insidethe door panel. I guess I can put something to mark where it's hitting.

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    melting was too much of a risk for me, I didn't want to end up with a hole in the panel/
    just cutting it off might take a little bit longer, but rather save than sorry/ ;)

Rebound likes this.
  5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a nice little wire cutter that had the cutting part like some finger nail clippers so I was able to trim easily. It fits nice and flush and then put some guide holes with the soldering iron for the screws and was able to get those fixed. Now my problem is how to hold the unit back on where the rivets used to be. I tried to use these self holding plastic inserts and then the screw is supposed to expand them but they just keep spinning in the hole. What did you use? I supposed if I didn't solder the wires for the speaker I can put the plastic frame in first but then I'd have to take it all apart again =/

6. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't have a problem with that/

Jeffrimerman likes this.
  7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took a small piece of sandpaper and squeezed it in with them and that helped. Now I can do the right side since I know what I'm doing.

8. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you know what is positive and negative on the connector that plugs into the front door speaker? I just kept the same wire orientation so hopefully right and left meant the same polarity on the stock speakers. I saw a red dot marked on the side with the release lever and that is + of the Infinities so maybe it's correct.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did the same thing you did: just left it the way it was & hoping that the position of plus & minus connections is standardized/

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    To test speaker polarity put the unit into MONO mode, turn the Bass up, turn treble down and put your head centered between the speakers. Then reverse the speaker leads (on one side only). The connection that yields the loudest low frequency audio is the correct one. Of course there is the phasing of the rear speakers as well. :)

JeffD

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have in my notes:

Speakers

Rear Left + Black
    Rear Left – Yellow
    Rear Right + Red
    Rear Right – White

Front Left + Pink
    Front Left - Violet
    Front Right + Light Green
    Front Right - Blue

12. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the details. I'm in the same boat but haven't taken off the door panels yet.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You buy something called a pop rivet gun, and the largest rivets it accepts. Don't buy the cheap Chinese no-name one; it will self destruct with the larger rivets. Buy the good one, made by Stanley. It only costs a little more. In addition to the largest-sized rivets, you should get thin, strong washers. Stainless would be good, because the river gun will put a lot of stress on them. But if you use a thick washer, the rivet won't be able to expand behind the door panel.

Let me know if you're confused. If you're in the Silicon Valley, you can borrow mine.

sfky and CoolPrius like this.