1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much should I be paying for a 30k service?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jmaliakal, Mar 31, 2014.

1. STEELJBS

STEELJBS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not worth it! Oil change, air and cabin filter, and tires. Filters are a breeze to change and you can get them at wally world cheap. Oil change shouldn't be more then 60.00. All the rest is fluff, check your floor mats and save some money.

2. jmaliakal

jmaliakal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ended up just doing the oil change at the dealership while they did the recall update.

I didn't realize it when I scheduled the service, but it was pretty easy to justify not doing the 30k service they recommended because my car is only at 27k!

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah, at 30k, they only do the basic like changing the oil and filters. Not worth 270$ for sure. lol

4. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SERVICE is the only way carmakers/dealers can make the big bucks that they crave. In my 55+ years as a car owner, I've never brought a car in for regular service/maintenance. In today's world, it is even LESS necessary than ever before; these new technology cars do not need service...... Change you own oil (Mobil 1 at Walmart is 5 qts for $25 + tax) and splurge on a Toyota oil filter and new felt drain-plug washer. Change you air filter and cabin filters. The fuel filter is supposed to be 'life of the car' and is buried in the gas tank so forget it until you need your first tow (probably well after 100,000). No need to change the trans oil in your CVT trans....Oh, and the BIGGEST RIPPOFF is the 'you gotta replace the brake fluid because it's hydroscopic' routine. I had a car that I kept for 45 years and the first time I changed the brake fluid was when it was 37 years old (and in those days we didn't have stainless steel brake lines....NO PROBLEM with that car or those brakes......Understand that this is JMHO (and experience for 55 years).