1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much should I buy a Prius for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joshua Ventura, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Joshua Ventura

Joshua Ventura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I am looking to buy a 2008 Prius with 60K miles.
    What do you think a fair price is to buy this vehicle?

Keep in mind I live in Southern California.
    The title is clean, I have yet to look at the vehicle but by the pictures, it looks in great shape.

I was thinking of taking it to a dealer to examine it and see if there is anything I should be aware about?

Any tips or something I should be looking for?
    What’s a fair price?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

reset the mpg display and take it for a good long ride under various conditions. see what she returns for average mpg's

GTW likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The obvious, is ascertaining the potential value of a purchase, or what that value should be, is really impossible sight unseen, non-hands on, on the internet.
    The often repeated advice in similar situation is to check Kelly Blue Book and what prevailing prices in your region for similar vehicle happen to be.
    But even then? Any specific vehicle could be worth more, or less depending on a LOT of criteria.

I think all you can do is establish a baseline "average" price for your area, and what you are looking at, THEN you absolutely have to inspect the vehicle yourself.
    There are threads here, but basically all the things recommended to do in evaluating any used vehicle. That's exterior condition, interior condition, mechanical condition, tires, accident history...etc, etc.

I would also add, for myself "Gut Feeling"---I've backed both into and away from deals just based on a gut feeling (good or bad) about the vehicle or seller. My philosophy is that if you do NOT feel good about the deal before making it, for any reason, you're probably not going to feel good about it AFTER making that deal.
    So I give some credit to gut feeling despite it really being a mercurial, mostly intangible aspect.

So the cop out answer, is How Much Should I Buy a Prius for?
    Really depends on what prices are around you regionally, what you want, and what the reality of what you are considering turns out to be.

Is that vague and useless enough for you?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check KBB, Edmunds and NADA price guides.
    Then take that figure and see how much Corolla you could get for the same price.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    60k is a bit low for a 12 yr old vehicle, be sure to check the VIN at https://toyota.com/owners

And or run a Carfax in addition, just to be safe.

6. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    $2500-3000. Doesn't matter if it has 60k or 600k, an '08 Prius will need a battery within 4-5 years, maybe sooner.

7. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Why you say that? Don’t the batteries last to 180,000 to 200,000 miles? Can you please explain? How should I approach the buyer about this price? He is requesting $7,500.

8. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It is but from the ad, I am understanding that the buyer was a older gentleman who didn’t drive the car as much.

9. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a Corolla right now but I want to update to a Prius. I wanted to originally buy a Prime but with how the economy is right now, I don’t know. I am having serious engine trouble with my 2013 Corolla at the moment and outweighs the cost.

10. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I thought the same of 5K, but someone just stated 2K - 3K, and the buyer wants originally 7.5K for the vehicle.

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless of the understanding, please run the VIN at http://toyota.com/owners and make sure everything is as expected.

If spending 7k+, then add an extra $5 and pull the carfax for chits and giggles.

strawbrad and Banksy like this.
  12. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Time is more of an indicator of battery life than mileage. In fact, a lower mileage 2008 could be closer to battery replacement than a high-mileage one, simply because it's sat more and has more chance for battery cells to slump.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Batteries can't read odometers, but they are subject to getting old and decaying. They can last even longer than 200k miles- as long as you put those miles on in a hurry. On a Prius, low mileage can be a warning sign that things are not as they appear.

The seller is hung up on the idea that he has preserved the value of the car by not putting many miles on it. And if it were not a hybrid electric car, that would probably be correct.

Unfortunately it just doesn't stay good with lack of use as time marches on. This seller doesn't understand what he's trying to sell, and you should probably just break off and find another one.

Rph74 likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    TIME is more of a factor with the hybrid batteries than mileage on the vehicle, especially if it's been in a HOT environment.
    A Prius is not necessarily an "upgrade". They are more complex and generally more likely to have serious problems later in life.

If you really want to pursue this, LOOK UP THE PRICE GUIDES and print them out.
    Saying "People on the Internet said your price is too high" likely will accomplish NOTHING.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what package is it?

16. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Standard Hatchback.

17. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dad's cousin in Silicon Valley unloaded his 2006 Prius with 197,000 on it. The hybrid battery was starting to go on it. He was the original owner. Like others have said. It doesn't matter how many miles are on it. Age is what kills the hybrid battery. Obviously a lower mileage car is preferable but a Prius is not like regular used cars. I agree with those suggesting a Corolla or Civic for those seeking value and good mileage.

$7,500 is way too much for a 2008 Prius because of the age of the battery. What is worse the success/failure rate of replacing the hybrid battery has been less than spectacular from what I have read priuschat members.

#17 TinyTim, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  18. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Now you're going to scare him off. Replacing the battery with a new one from Toyota should provide many years of reliable driving but costs well over $2000 installed. So called "refurbished' batteries are much cheaper but are the one's that cause problems. A reliable alternative would be a battery from newpriusbatteries.com for $1600 that can be installed by the owner.

I agree that $7500 is too much. Eventual cost of a new battery should be figured into the deal.

Data Daedalus and TinyTim like this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes that is for the best.

In the 2-ish years since I joined this site I've noticed that there's a certain type of used-Prius buyer who is really hoping for a low maintenance car that they can keep for the next 10-15 years of relatively light-duty driving. They're hoping to buy a 10-ish year old car and stay faithful to that one fantastic machine for a full decade after.

That really sounds wonderful, but a Prius is absolutely the wrong machine for this duty. They're just too sophisticated, and while that sophistication unlocks some incredible economy and performance, it just doesn't (usually) last beyond roughly the 15th year after assembly, and the cars nearly inevitably become money pits along the way. There are always lucky outliers, this isn't about them.

A proper new HV battery can unlock another decade of service, assuming the upholstery and suspension isn't too beaten-down from the first decade, but at $2500+ it's a real commitment.

If you want a Prius as a low-maintenance car for 10 years, buy a brand new one, or at least a very young one. Or jump in cheap on something with a truly dead battery, and rehabilitate it yourself.

If you want a cheap old car as a low maintenance ride for 10 years, buy something simpler than a hybrid.

Data Daedalus and royrose like this.
  20. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I watched a youtube video where in real time showed how to replace a Prius Hybrid battery. It took about an hour to do. The problem is the longevity of the hybrid battery. In the video it offered a $1600 all new hybrid batery with a two year 30,000 warranty. Obviously if it's a genuine Toyota Hybrid battery the outcome should be quite good. But obtaining a genuine Toyota battery is like getting a bill of goods. That is slang for being rolled. Doing the install yourself is not difficult. But the quality of the aftermarket new batteries is questionable.

People post here all the time about having their failing hybrid battery re-balanced. Or having individual failed cells replaced. They are always trying to save money and come here asking for advice when those inexpensive options fail. The consensus by the veteran priuschat members is to replace the entire hybrid battery. Always asking if the price of admission is worth it.

I am open minded. Just curious if the newpriusbatteries.com and others around $1500 have lasted more than 3 years without failing.