1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Much Should I Pay For Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Maverick Hiker, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello. I'm buying a 2011 Prius 3 in the near future, with the nav package and the backup camera. As this car will have a lot more electronics than any of my prior cars, I'm considering buying an extended warranty.

I was wondering if anyone else got an extended warranty and how much you paid, or how much you think I should pay.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The warranty company is obviously going to come in ahead, otherwise they would not be in business.

But the Genuine Toyota Platinum policy should be about $1600 for a 8/125k from one of the site sponsors.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Electronics in the Prius have a marvelous track record, and the handful of people who have been unlucky find inexpensive salvage parts or independent repair options.

Think again before you enrich your dealer.

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never buy those. I think warranty/insurance is for something that you absolutely can not afford to let happen. In my opinion, that is life insurance and no fault car insurance.

Years ago, I read Best Buy's financial statement. Not to my surprise, they barely break even on selling products. All money they made was from warranty program. No wonder their cashiers are required to ask if you want to cover the product with extended warranty.

5. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK thanks for that advice. Guess I should refuse the finance managers sales pitch for the extended warranty.

6. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I got mine this past weekend (at the dealer)on my 2010 for $1,200 - Platinum policy - $0 deductible.

7. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sounds like a good price. Did they offer it to you straight or did you have to bargain with the finance manager? My wife said the finance manager gave her a hard sale routine for the extended warranty when she bought her Rav4.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't need to buy it until just before your 36 month/36K mile warranty runs out. Some dealers will tell you otherwise but they are just trying to get your money NOW.

When you are ready to buy one contact Troy at Warranty Shack, his prices are cheaper than anyone else. He does sell genuine Toyota Platinum extended warranties.

http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...rius-extended-warranty-service-contracts.html

9. web1b

web1b Active Member

I don't understand how $1200 is automatically a good price with knowing only that it is a Platinum policy with $0 deductible. Don't they come in various terms and mileage limits for different prices?

Isn't that like someone saying they bought a Prius for $300 a month without saying anything else about the transaction?

10. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    They first offered it for a bit more...but then when I was with the finance manager, the price came down as I was hesitiating.....
    The Platinum policy is for 7 years/100K miles and covers absolutely everything on the car, all electronics, etc...and we know how pricey those can be.
    Hope this helps

11. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got the Platinum too, for about the same price. There are way too many ECUs on these for my taste. Try paying $900 before labor for a $35 circuit board.

That being said, I bought one on my last Toyota, and when I bought the next one and traded in the other, I got a balance of perhaps $600 for the warranty and it was applied to the new car. Okay, that sounds like crap from a regular dealer, but this was CarMax Laurel Toyota, and I had my own financing, and I brought in the trade first before I visited the new car side, so there was no where they could go to fudge the check, which came from the warranty division, not the dealer. Just my two cents.

btw, I NEVER buy extended warranties from Best Buy!

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you would make out better buying a warranty from Best Buy. They are both loosing propositions. Both never have the consumer’s interest in mind. They are solely a calculated profit center.

Your best bet is to go to the first and second gen Prius forums and ask about repairs that people had up to 125,000 miles to get a feel of what might break. You will find very few issues on a Prius with 125,000 miles.

13. denovo

denovo '02 Prius 240K

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    How do these add-on Toyota warranty programs compare to the Toyota Certified warranties on some select, dealer-offered used Priuses? (And how do they select which to offer this on, anyway??) The Certified program offers 12 mo./12,000 mi. 'bumper to bumper' coverage that they seem to feel is worth '$950 wholesale'. Is there a 'less-than-platinum' warranty that is the rough equivalent?