1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much time between oil changes?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Man, Jul 20, 2022.

1. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're adamant about not doing every 5000K miles I would suggest an additive like BG MOA to keep the oil in good shape for longer.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa-extended-life/

Mr. Man likes this.
  2. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  3. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Interesting, I see. Thanks. I guess I’ll be getting the oil change.

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep not knowing if the previous owner maintained the vehicle is a big reason we tend to save up and then only buy new vehicles. So many people don't do anything except an oil change every 2-years or so, even if it's a free Toyota service on new vehicles....it's sad when you know how much money it is to replace an engine or transmission or head gasket when simple drain/fill of the fluid can make them last so much longer.
    Of all the modern vehicles I've owned, Toyota's seem to be the easiest for the DIYer. My son-in-law has an older Suzuki and the stupid oil filter is up above the frame at an odd angle, and a bear to replace every time we do an oil change.

Doug McC and mikey_t like this.
  5. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You know, I never even considered doing it myself. I’m a real neophyte with this stuff, but perhaps this is simple as hell. Is it a dirty job, do I have to like get under the car to drain it? And does it matter that this is a Prius C and requires different oil? Full synthetic, I believe (rather expensive at the auto bodies).

6. monoshock

monoshock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I change my 2 Priis (2004 and 2005) at 10k miles with Mobile 1 and Motorkote, neither one uses a drop of oil between changes.

PaulDM and bisco like this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We did the 2 years free changes at Toyota and I've done them all at home since. It's easy. It's also easy to make mistakes, that's another story.

It is a dirty job but there are ways of managing everything. You can get an extractor vacuum to make waste oil removal a clean-hands, standing-in-front-of-the-car task. You still have to go under for the oil filter, but you can use clever gadgets to catch the drips associated with filter removal.

As a point of reference I'm spending around $23 for a jug of 0W-20 oil and maybe another $4 for a filter. It would cost about $110 to buy the tools involved, by my estimate

For the miles we put on ours, I'll do this job 3-4x per year, so I'll do it for the next 4-6 years before we seek to replace the car.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Oil sitting in the oil pan and not heating up means moisture accumulation. Oil absorbs water.

Given your light use absolutely every year, preferably before winter.

9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If you’re actually interested in learning enough about oil to understand why low mileage means shorter time intervals (instead of just our various opinions) then check out pqia.org (Petroleum Quality Institute of America). There’s much more to it than just moisture. JMHO

10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The cylinders are NOT sealed containers and metal expands and contracts as it heats up and cools down. When the engine shuts down at least one cylinder will have gasoline injected into it that doesn’t get burned and drains down into the crankcase diluting the oil. Short trips equals more gasoline in the oil.

mikey_t likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i'm saying. if you're not using it, how can you contaminate the oil?

i understand the problem of short trips

12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    At the risk of being repetitive, checking out PQIA.org might answer that question (paying close attention to the discussion on additives). While there, perusing their information on coolants can be rewarding in regards to change intervals.
    I’ve learned the hard way over the years that experts and those with specialized training are much better resources than just opinions.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. data, that's what i want

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good work Bisco. Convincing people by association to go long periods between oil changes.

All Prii since late 2009 require synthetic oil. Toyotas are generally well engineered cars but many have issues with burning oil. Why? Because Toyota built Prius to be low emissions. Part of their thinking was to reduce waste oil by increasing the period between oil changes. Yes that reduces our dependence on fossil fuels but degrades your engine more than frequent changes. It ultimately is your choice; increased engine wear in a few critical points like piston rings while saving money in the short term or enhanced engine protection with increased oil changes. Engineers and pro mechanics know 5,000 mile intervals are better than 8,000 to 15,000 mile intervals.

#34 rjparker, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Doug McC and mikey_t like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i recommend once a year or 5,000 miles whichever comes first. if relating my mech's opinion is offensive to you, i apologize.
    unfortunately, it's all opinion without proof.

16. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I realize you may not agree with a lot of what is shared (as is your creator given right, regardless of who or what is your creator). Having said that, may I suggest that you take the time to view The Car Care Nut YouTube video from 1 month ago titled “Toyota VVTi System Explained.” While it may not apply to our vehicles, IT DOES help people who REALLY want to take care of their vehicles learn that, just maybe, trying to save approximately $50 to $70 dollars a year by extending oil changes, or not going with the “recommended” weight of oil “because I live in a hot area” or what ever excuse people want to throw out there, is simply NOT A WISE CHOICE! However, please forgive those of us who actually do gather the “DATA” to inform our choices (and by doing so,help us in our endeavor to select good mechanics).

Mr. Man likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do agree with a lot of what is shared, read all the posts again, i think you'll see that

18. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Toyota's are the best vehicles for the DIYer! All you need to do an oil change in a Prius is to get the front end up (a good set of ramps you can just drive up on is fastest), a 10mm socket or philips head screwdriver to remove the small cover over the drain plug and filter, a 14mm socket to remove drain bolt and filter tool to remove the filter and drain pan to catch the oil. (Those 16-quart pans that seal up so you can bring it to your auto store to recycle the oil is what I have... can do 3 changes before needing to go get it emptied.) Let all the oil drain, clean up the oil filter area (you want to ensure the old gasket came off.) Put new gasket on drain plug and install and replace oil filter. Fill car with about 4.2 qts oil and you're good to go...I can do mine in about 20 minutes unless the car is hot...then takes longer since oil and filter are wicked hot.
    My Tundra has a foot clearance under there and if it didn't have a metal protective cover to remove, an oil change would be even quicker.
    On The Car Care Nuts' instagram page, he has a picture of a 2015 Camry and he said, "Another 10,000 mile oil burner, be careful"

Doug McC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota could put more info in owners manual, regarding oil change, transaxle fluid change, spark plug change and so on. Oh wait, you never need to change transaxle fluid. :rolleyes:

Merkey and Doug McC like this.
  20. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But... But... But they said lifetime! :p

Mendel Leisk, Doug McC and bisco like this.