1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much was you electric bill last month?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 25, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Jul 25 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]292091[/snapback]</div>
    If you're talking hours of sunshine, then, yes, latitude isn't the determining factor. Regina, Saskatchewan gets the most hours of sun in Canada, despite being minus 35C in winter. But on the West coast in the rainforest, there's so much cloud cover and rainfall that solar really wouldn't make a great investment. Passive solar might not hurt, though, especially in combination with earth sheltering and geothermal.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No photovoltaic panels. Triple pane windows, R-100 ceiling (rigid, foil-faced polystyrene) with 60-year tile roof, insulated glass vestibules on entrances, fully insulated garage (including door and roof), full caulking, ceramic tile floors, R-45 walls with warm window coverings. Highest bill in 15 years just received: $55. Average monthly bill over last 15 years: less than $30 per month.

Payback time to break even for improvements: 2.5 years (over 10 years ago). It is more cost effective to rely on Negawatts instead of kilowatts and to hold onto what you already have rather than "go get more." Conservation and efficiency is the most cost effective both short and long term.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 25 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]292112[/snapback]</div>
    A. Lovins, is that you? :p

Burritos, Sunny Boy is definitely a big name but there are several others out there with some pretty sweet products. I was just curious how you had it configured. Say one or two smaller inverters and so forth.

Seaside, sorry to hear that you're having to move for 'ealth reasons. Don't move to FL. Trust me. If you grew up in the west you won't like the bugs and humidity. Plus the storm activity there will cause you considerable grief. What about AZ or UT? Close to CA and plenty hot too! :D

4. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seaside, DO NOT MOVE TO FLORIDA! Our electric bill is around $180 for a small 2 bedroom house with all CFL lighting and energy star appliances. Having the A/C on all year is a real killer, but your as good as dead if you turn it off.

5. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

Our Electricity is charged per quarter. Last bill came to $A577. That's for a 4 bedroom house with 2 'young adults' (superannuated teenagers) who leave everything on, and their parents (my wife and I) who don't. Converting to USD, that's $145.31 per month.

The airconditioning doesn't have that much effect on the bill. We only use it in Summer, and don't need heating or a/c in winter (now). We also have solar hot water, which saves about $A100 per quarter off the bill. The total water booster costs for a year are about $A15, so solar is pretty effective here. It should be, since we're practically on the Tropic.

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback group :) I thought about AZ, but I am not the desert type of guy... So-cal seems to be the choice, or Canada- but that would be tough to get citizenship!

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ~$120 ($180 recently with A/C) electricity per month for 2 people (lots of computers)
    ~$160 gas (and rising) per month (Prius)

Wondering if panels are affordable and will pay for themselves. Do they come with batteries? Maintenence?

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $75 to $100 / month.

4 computers, one of which is a full-time server, central air, frickin' electric stove (and we cook a LOT), and all CFL lighting except one fixture that's on a dimmer and I've been too lazy to get dimmable CFL so far... that's on my list of things to do though ;)

As for panels, I have 3 huge, beautiful pine trees lilned up along the south side of my house, and I'd have to cut them down to get any use out of a set of panels. I'm not sure whether that would counteract some of the energy savings, and I also can't bring myself to cut them down because, well, I'm a tree-hugger.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $62.50 last month. 3 bedroom house with A/C running.

10. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

$100 to 200 a month here in Boston area. Price is about 15 cents a kwh in off peak and 42 cents in peak hours. Peak is M-F 9 am to 6 pm. Rates are around 20 cents steady if you don't have a time of use meter.

11. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you're all getting away cheap! I hope my bills are like that once I move to the desert next month. Here in Maryland I just paid my highest bill ever (they just raised the rate by about 70%) at **$355**.

Now, we have to keep the A/C on 24/7 at a low 72 since I telecommute and my office upstairs gets to be about 5 degrees warmer than the thermostat setting. We are a family with two young children who are in the house all afternoon as well, usually with at least 1 TV on.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In summary, $258 June-July, for 2,604 kWh. I'm in the greater Phoenix, AZ area, though I've found my end of the valley is 2-3°F cooler than the east-end. We have an abundance of cheap power here, largely due to our 3 reactor nuclear plant to the west of the valley (Palo Verde).

My house has 2 3-ton (36,000 BTU/hr) 12-SEER (wish that was higher) A/C units. I keep the thermostats set at 78°F, though my wife does sneak one down to 76 sometimes while I'm not around since our bedroom does tend to get warmer at times. My house has 2x6 walls and cellulose insulation. The ceiling is R-38+ of the same. Windows are double pane with low-e glass. Half of my lighting is CFL, and as other spot bulbs (kitchen/hall) burn out, they'll be replaced with CFL eqequivalentsI use as many energy-star rated appliances as possible.

I'm on a split time + demand charge type plan. In the summer, my rates are $0.04765 per kWh on-peak and $0.02672 per kWh off-peak. I'm also billed $11.81 per kWh for my highest 1 hour peak demand in the 1 month period (which peaks out at 7.8kWh for me for the last two "hot" months). The meter basically tallies up the most kWh used in a 1 hour period (i.e. both A/C's on, electric range running, etc.) in addition to the on-peak vs off-peak usage. On-peak is 9am-9pm weekdays excluding major holidays. Winter rates are about 25% less between Nov-Apr.

Anyway, based on that, my bills for the past two months have been $246 and $258. I've heard people on similar split plans (time only) with bills higher than $300 if the A/C is set lower and less insulation on the house. I used 2604 kWh over the last month, 1,223 on-peak, and 1,381 off-peak. The prior month I had used 2203 kWh. What makes the bill confusing isn't the split plans, but the way they split the rates into delivery and generation charges, in addition to the daily connection/service charge.

However - even after all of my rambling, power out here in AZ is still much cheaper than I used to have in SoCal. Edison had a silly "baseline" plan which was unrealistic for any stay-at-home family situation which basically tiered usage to penalize higher usage with increasing rates. AZ standard plans do the same, but at least here, we have a choice, and the standard rates are still much more reasonable at 7-12 cents/kWh vs. 18-22 cents/kWh in CA. In CA, my usage was usually in the 750kWh range (baseline was 221kWh I think), and I had bills between $75-100+ consistently, without A/C. I feel for those who are using A/C in the current heat wave.

Sorry for the ramble - but thought it'd help those who were curious about AZ and electric bills. If you have the chance to build smart, your bills aren't so bad out here, largely due to the abundance of cheaper power.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Jul 25 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]292071[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch, even with my driving 70 miles per day, I don't exceed $120/mo on my car - about $22-26/week.

13. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco-shalom @ Jul 26 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]292629[/snapback]</div>
    Which desert are you moving to? Here in western Nevada, we pay about $55 a month with A/C running at about 76-77, at least one computer on most of the day, TV and associated devices for video games on for several hours a day, and sometimes a ceiling fan or two on when it gets too hot (like now, stupid triple-digit temperatures, at least it's dry here). Our stove, heater, and water heater are all natural gas, and in the summer, we pay about $30/month (if I recall correctly), in the winter about $200/month. It's our first year in the house, so we haven't found all the leaks yet, but I know they're somewhere. The previous owners didn't even have a blanket for the water heater (among MANY other problems we keep finding). Hopefully this winter it won't be so bad.

As for gas costs, I'd say we spend about $30-$40 per month on gas. My commute is 30 miles round trip, and we try to minimize extra trips into town.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 25 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]291970[/snapback]</div>
    I'd love to but my roof slopes east and west and I'm not willing to donate part of my yard just yet to solar. The HOA is pretty tough on panels on the roof as well. Given the abundance of sunlight in AZ, I was seriously considering it though, and if I could figure a way to make it work w/o too much yard sacrifice, I may still consider it as long as the buildings don't block too much light during peak times.

15. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $164.11 for 1,672 kwh; $0.0982/kwh. Actual cost of electricity was $138.36 the rest is for taxes.

16. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

17. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    $65.41 for 1270 kwh - 3 bedrom home, AC set at 73 degrees. Has been about 100 degrees out lately.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Geez, I guess I am either a low consumer or it's the area in which I live but my average monthly electric bill is no more than $30. I have no alternative energy source, no kids, have a one story ranch house. Usually do not run A/C (unless it's over 85). Two people in the household. Usually one light running in the evenings (flourescent) along with one television. I have energy star appliances. I heard ComEd will be raising their rates so I'm sure I won't be this content much longer,

19. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 25 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]292112[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also starting to be a negawatts freak - gave everyone a dozen compact flourescent bulbs for Christmas!

I like the ceiling idea - sounds easier and better than blown insulation or fiber-scratch! Did you do the ceiling yourself? Where did you get the rigid poly? Got any pics of the results?

Ceramic floors? How does that help? We have some ceramic floors and they are very COLD in the winter! We are thinking of installing underfloor coils to supplement our existing heat system.

By the way - our house is also a Hybrid - Carrier Infinity Heat-pump (electric) with hot-water baseboard (gas) for when the temp gets too low (<40 degrees) for the heat-pump to work efficiently, and of course we have a fireplace too!

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 25 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]292047[/snapback]</div>
    For what it is worth, I haven't yet heard of a metering system that will make money on a residence.

The whole sordid story is spelled out in the EV link under my sig. Our current EV is owned. Bought new. The EV1 was leased because there was no other choice. The Rav4EV is now worth twice what I paid for it so the ROI so far is pretty high. :)