1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much weight the prius c roof can handle?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by zmarcoz, Jul 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. zmarcoz

zmarcoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I want to create a roof top tent and put it on my prius c. I am trying to see whether it is even possible.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A lot depends on the hardware you use to attach your platform.

I don't know the specific ratings for the c, but most small cars can handle about 110lbs when folded up/driving, and closer to 400lb when stationary/fully deployed camp setup.

Good luck!

3. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The roof itself will handle the whole weight of the car to prevent occupants being crushed in a rollover situation. obviously you don't want to be driving around with that much weight.

It depends on how you attach the system as to the rating, but most off the shelf racks are rated around 60kg and I wouldn't go higher than that while moving.

4. cycleon

cycleon New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Where do you find the maximum roof load at rest? I did a number of searches and didn't find it specified on any material online, including my car's manual. Everything I find relates to the value when the car is moving.
    If 400 lb, then the car won't hold more than 2 people and in some case just 1 person. Tent (100 to 150 lbs) + 2 people (150 lbs each) = 400 to 450 lbs.

I'm also considering purchasing a rooftop tent but need to make sure I can use it before dropping a lot of dough.

5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced