1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much will the budget sound system cost?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MansTer420, Apr 30, 2013.

1. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had 4 cars before Prius and they all had great system but I really hate what I hear in my Prius two.

I love the car but its sound system sux.

Im trying to get some ok-ish sound system installed.

I dont need one of those subwoofer that shakes whole car.

I just want to listen to my trance music LOUD enough to hear every instruments.

hiw much and is there any giod place in SoCal?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

2. Chaloney

Chaloney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I can't answer your question but I have to say I think it's funny that you say you want to hear "instruments" in trance music.

This is not a knock on trance or other electronic music--that's mostly what I listen to when I drive--it just struck me as funny

3. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I mean details... yeah instrument does sound awkward

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think asking how much will a "budget" system cost is relative. Some may think a budget system is $100 and others may think it is $2,000. You are probably better off stating, I want to spend around $x. What do you recommend?

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well I got a Polk PA660 amp for $200, Four sets of Polk speakers for the doors, maybe $200 max. The some wiring stuff for the HU to the amp and some power and ground and RCA cables. DIY, look at about $500. Add $200-$300 for someone else to do it. You will have a decent system to hear everything.

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    what source do you use? Radio Ipod?

7. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use lretty much everything.

Streaming Pandora, USB, and radio.

Only thing i dont use is CD.

I want descent system before new Daft Punk comes out

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    everything other than radio sounds pretty good to me. Did you turn on high quality for Pandora? Do you notice the difference between radio and other sources? Quite drastic on mine!

MansTer420 likes this.
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP should try CD or aux cable from a good quality source first.

One big problem w/replacing the head unit or adding something visible (e.g. a sub) is that it now becomes a target for theft. :( Just something to keep in mind. Might be better to make the changes invisible (changing only speakers, hopefully that's sufficient).

Ages ago (probably 1997 to 1999), in my old 91 Camry, someone broke into my car and stole my car stereo and a CD wallet full of CDs (mostly retail). :( I had only replaced the stock stereo because it died. I ended up getting a replacement stereo (w/detachable faceplate) and an aftermarket alarm. The stolen stereo only had a flip around faceplate and security code.

My Prius was broken into in front of someone's house after being parked there for only ~40 mins. I was careless and accidentally left a fanny pack in the back. I was out $200 to replace the smashed window and lost my PDA, iPod Shuffle and Jawbone BT headset. :( This is in a neighborhood w/$1 million+ houses. I learned later that the thieves did a smash and grab on some other cars in the surrounding streets that night.

10. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah on my way home I turned on HD option in Pandora and it did sound better.

and any mp3s thats bigger than 9-10mb sounds great.

but fir couriousity, what is the max volume in Prius's stereo?

I uaually put up to 30 on my daily commute....

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The size of the mp3 file doesn't necessarily have any correlation to the quality. You could have a VERY long (in terms of time) .mp3 (really long song, speech, etc.) and it could be crappy quality. What matters is the bitrate of the file, the quality of the encoder and the quality of the original source material. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).