1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much you paid for your Prius??

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Prius07Pkg4, Nov 18, 2006.

1. kleung13

kleung13 New Member

Hey everyone, this is a great forum!

My fiancee and I are about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Package 6 (not touring), but thought I'd see if the price being offered is fair...

Originally we put a deposit down on a 2007, black, gray leather, package 6 for $30,500 drive off...but somehow someone else got it...

Now they're offering us a 2008, same color and options for $31,100 drive off price...does this sound right?

We really like and want the Prius, but my gut says I'm not getting the BEST price...

Thoughts??

Thanks a TON!
    Kevin

2. Missu

Missu New Member

Hi Kevin,

You could get a better deal than that. I'm am signing a deal tonite on a 08 Prius with package #6 for $25,800. (Before tax and license). If you could get something close to that, you would be getting a great deal, If your dealer cant do around that price, check others.

Cheers

3. kleung13

kleung13 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Missu @ Sep 10 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]510257[/snapback]</div>

any chance you could send a list of the breakdown for the vehicle? they keep telling me this for MSRP:
    (granted, there is an additional $699 in there for Toyoguard that we are requesting not be installed)

Estimated Pricing*
    MSRP
    Base $22,325.00
    Options $5,474.00
    Manuf. Delv, Proc, & Hndlg $715.00
    Fuel Surcharge $22.54
    Total $28,536.54

4. Missu

Missu New Member

Hi Kevin,

First off, dont pay for Toyoguard. Its just fluff profit for the dealer.
    I believe the MSRP on the car i am buying is $28,300ish.
    The buy price of $25,800 was negotiated from that. At my buy price i am getting it very close to there invoice price (cost). What the dealer is not telling you is that they get a rebate from toyota corporate called a "hold back" on every car they sell.
    So even if they sold a car to you for exactly there "cost" at the end of the day, they are still making money on the sale.
    Getting an 08 Prius at around this price is doable. If the dealer you are talking to can't match something close to this price, just move on to the next (assuming there is more than one in your area). The first 2 dealers I spoke with could not do my buy price, but the 3rd one is, so call around, and you should get something close for sure. And by the way, MSRP is ment as a starting point for talking price, not the end point.

Cheers

Just a further note, my buy price includes all costs except Tax, license, and doc fees.

5. kosmach

kosmach New Member

What city did you buy this in?

6. sbrunnergirl

sbrunnergirl New Member

Just bought a 2008 Base model with Option Package #6 from Concord Toyota (San Jose) at $1200 below MSRP, final price $26200+TTL. IMO, only way to buy a car is through internet dealers. Getting a deal takes time, patience, and a certain flexibility for your local market at purchase time (I originally wanted a 2007 Touring, but those are hard to come by right now).

I would also recommend shopping your salesman. There are hundreds of Toyota salesmen in the bay area, and quite frankly, some of them just seemed too huckster-ish over the phone. But on the other hand, some salesmen who didn't have the car I wanted were nonetheless helpful and informative over the phone, giving me insights into the local market that proved useful in the negotiation process with other dealers.

The Berkeley salesman indicated that buyer negotiating will improve in the next few months as production for 2008 Prius has been increased and dealers will have more cars on the lots (again, this may be true only for the hot California Prius market). When I later changed my specs for my car, he gave me a great starting price, and I likely would have bought my car from him had I not had to wait a week for its arrival.

I ended up in a "bidding war" between the Concord dealer and the Capitol (San Jose) dealer. I would recommend either dealer, especially Rick Perez at Capitol SJC, Tobey in Berkeley, or Hamid at Concord.

7. dusterbuster

dusterbuster New Member

My wife and I purchased a 2008 silver pine prius with option package 6 and floor mats for $26,347 ($500 over invoice, or $1,387 under msrp) from Dublin Toyota this evening. We were about to purchase a 2007 classic silver prius with package 6 from Toyota Marin for 25,705 (invoice) this weekend, but decided we wanted to get the silver pine, and so we were willing to pay a little more for a 2008 model in the exact color combination we wanted. There definitely was a lot of variation in prices between dealers (some wanting sticker, but most offering $500-1250 over invoice), so I would strongly recommend emailing multiple dealers, which is a relatively painless way to buy a car.

8. ssuresh98

ssuresh98 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dusterbuster @ Sep 11 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]510504[/snapback]</div>

Congrats on your new Prius. Can you tell me if your price was OTD price including tax and tags?
    Thanks in advance. Also can you mention the name of your Rep?

9. ssuresh98

ssuresh98 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dusterbuster @ Sep 11 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]510504[/snapback]</div>

Congrats on your new Prius. Can you tell me if your price was OTD price including tax and tags?
    Thanks in advance. Also can you mention the name of your Rep?

10. linx0185

linx0185 New Member

Just order a 2008 Base model with Option Package #2 from Tustin Toyota (Tustin, CA) at $22376+TTL.

11. krcawley

krcawley Junior Member

Last weekend in Puyallup, Wa, I bought an '08 package 2, magnetic gray with the bumper applique and all floor mats for $22,500 before T&L. I worked with Rob Pearson. the Internet manager at Toyota of Puyallup. I had called all dealerships in the area, trying to get the best Costco or Microsoft pricing and he beat them all without even telling him what I was quoted elsewhere. Sooo easy to work with him, highly recommend. No last minute surprises, no delays. 253-286-6000.
    --Kimberly

12. timstorey

timstorey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $23902 for base Prius w/ Package 2. Purchased 9/13/07 from Broadway Toyota here in Portland.

13. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Paid $23060 +T&L For Silver Option Package 2 on 9/14/2007. At Rudy Luthers in Golden Valley, MN.
    This was though the COSTCO buying service.
    That does not include the so called "Preferred Package" consisting of floor mats, a cargo net and a very expensive box of band-aides. $277

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    here's the deal i got
    21310.80 touring
    4664.70 pack 6, mats, toyo+, gas, mats, tint, set dist+
    715 hndlg
    639 admin
    1000 extra profit

28329.50 + TTL = 30,227.29 OTD
    dealer will make over 2 grand, but, i've been told thats the price if you want it sooner than later, kinda like Harleys used to be!

15. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

$500 below MSRP for a fully loaded (plus glass breakage sensor, and bra) 2007 Touring package #6, the exact color I wanted, no wait. Viva San Francisco!

16. whyme

whyme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got 2008 Prius with Package #2 in Mag Grey (+ car mats... go figure!) for 22,570 + TTL for a total of just under 25,000 at Sunnyvale Toyota. No wait as well, quick and painless experience!

17. dchow007

dchow007 Junior Member

Purchased our 2007 Prius in classic silver with package 2 and dealer installed door and wheel guards for $21707 for a OTD price of $23,800. I had checked around and the 2 closest Toyota dealer to me (Melody and Putnam) wouldn't even talk to me unless it was OTD of $24,500. I bought the car from City Toyota in Daly City. My neighbor bought her Prius with package 2 from Putnam using Costco pricing for OTD of $25,300.

18. glsciarra

glsciarra New Member

Picked up our new baby on Monday night.

2008 Base w/Package 2 Mag Gray. $21,999 + TTL = $23,248 Out the Door.

Got it at through internet sales Acton Toyota in Acton Mass, even though it is about 100 miles from where we live. I spoke to tons of dealerships closer to us and none that actually had cars on the lot could match the price. And everyone we dealt with there was fabulous and didn't push stuff on us and Carl, our saleman was particulary wonderful.
    If you live anywhere near Acton (or not like us) I would whole-heartedly recommend them. I found them after a bad experience with a dealership in West Springfield that was clearly handling our deal in a shady manner. Plus, Acton beat the price and matched our trade-in.

Love the car! I feel like I am living a dream driving it.

Attached Files:

19. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heh... reading all of this makes me feel like I was ripped off. I guess it was a combination of my inability to do math that requires more than 10 fingers and my kid-in-a-candy-store-gimme-gimme-gimme-now mentality whenever I buy something worth more than $5 that has an ON button. Silly me.

The guy in the back fudged the numbers a bit higher to account for the payoff from the trade-in. Got around $14k from the dealer, but the payoff for my old loan was @$16k... he upped the trade-in value of the BMW to equal the loan buyout and added that cost into the purchase price. Does that make any sense? He muttered something about "avoiding capital gains taxes" that sounded good at the time. This is most of why the purchase prise is higher than the sticker.

Anyway....

Brand new, straight-out of-Tokyo 2007 Seaside Pearl, Package #6 with cargo nets, floormats, and the finest Asian-made bandaids $277 can buy (at least, they better be at that price).

Sticker (minus ECO) $27,727
    Purchase Price $30,434
    Trade (2004 BMW 325xi) $16,383
    Tax/Tags/Title $949.65

Amount I finally financed when all the dust settled = $29384.21 at 7.25%/72 months
    (credit union where my previous car loan was held was offering 7.5% for same term)

This was Carousel in Glen Mills, PA... Mark the salesman was nice, seemed honest enough, but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "genuinely good person" and "lubing up prior to anally raping my checking account".

Ah well, in any event, getting a Prius was definitely one of my better hare-brained schemes.... Going to try to install one of those Factory Interactive PriusXM kits this weekend, wish me luck! Or better yet, wish the car luck! We're both gonna need it.

20. spchaser

spchaser New Member

I pulled the trigger today. I went green and traded my gas guzzling 2001 c320 Mercedes for a 2007 Silver Package #6. This was in Watertown, MA.

Here's the breakdown before and after a week of negotiations.

Original price: 27,584.00

After the first round, the price was: 10K for the trade-in (which was fair and blue book value) + additional payment of 16,495.00 = 26,495.00 total

After several rounds over a week, the deal became: my trade-in + additional payment was 12,895.00 = roughly 22,895.00+ TTR total for this brand new vehicle!!

This is assuming that the trade-in was still worth 10k. In order to make this work, they essentially made the trade-in worth more to adjust for the total cost of the vehicle of 27,584.00 on the bill (14,689.00 for the trade-in + additional 12895.00).

Overall, we were quite happy.