1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much you paid for your Prius??

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Prius07Pkg4, Nov 18, 2006.

1. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I am 6'4". I was playing with the idea of buying this car since july and I ended up buying in November. I am glad I did. The only chicken bobbing I do is when I pull up a little over the line at lights. Other than that I am completly comfortable.

2. megjo

megjo Proud to be Green

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just bought a 2008 #5 Magnetic Gray for $24,600, with carpeted floor mats, wheel locks and rear bumper thingy. If I had taken Silver, it would have been $24,100. If anyone has recently graduated from college (undergrad or grad) or is going to in the next 6 months, you get a $400 cash back bonus - hard to find, but its out there!

3. MacT66

MacT66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much: $27,904 out the door (excluding taxes)

When: Jan 31, 2008

Where: Molle toyota, Kansas city, MO

What: 2008 Touring #6, Spectra Blue Mica
    wheel locks
    carpeted floor mats
    Heated seats

Dealer had it only 3 hours before I found and bought it.

Mac

4. BotBox

BotBox New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Spectra Blue Mica with package #6, $25,636.

Originally wanted the touring edition but it wasn't available within 500 miles in the color I wanted. Eventually decided not to wait and went with non-touring.

5. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How much: $21,940 (excluding taxes (NH has no taxes!) and license fees)

When: 3 February 2008

Where: Berlin, New Hampshire Toyota

What: 2008 #2, Seaside Pearl
    No other options (they did not have floor mats since according to the dealer they are priced much higher than local options)

How: online price quote via internet sales. Chris was our salesperson. No games, price and features exactly as quoted. No pressure and our sales person even warned us before he presented the extended warranty and vehicle protection package (we declined politely)

6. oapreston

oapreston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In February 2008 I purchased a 2008 Black Touring Pkg #6 (no accessories, no satellite radio, etc.) for $30,150 total "out the door". I didd it directly with the Internet Sales Manager at Bob Baker Toyota here in San Diego (Lemon Grove, CA). After he told me the offer I asked him if he'd write it down on the back of his business card, he did. I then went to another dealership (Mossy Toyota) and they couldn't do better with an offer of $31,000. So I gave Bob Baker Toyota a call and said Yes. It was easy. Good deal. I read on here another 2008 Black Touring Pkg #6 bought for $32k+. Don't let them Charge you more than $30,150. Keep in mind that I didn't go for the included satellite radio package.
    Actually, I ended up ordering Sirius Radio's Stiletto 100, car kit, and 6 months of service for $107.74. Much better than the $500 add-on. Plus, with the S100 you can record 100 hours of music. They have a half-price deal through March. I'm a bargain hunter! Hahah.

I traded in my GMC Sierra Denali (6.0L, V8, RCD lifted body, over-sized tires, K&N exhaust system, Whipple super-charger, 11 m.p.g.) for the Prius.
    I can't believe I was being so environmentally-rude for so long. I'm 26, so let's just blame it on immaturity. =[

Drive smart!

7. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw an add last night that suggests that there are special cash back incentives for President's Day going on at Toyota (at least in my market area). The add mentioned $1000 cash back on Camry hybrids. No mention of the Prius though they did show it on the add.

YMMV

8. wake6830

wake6830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased a Red/Bisque 2008 Package 6 on 1/31 from Manhattan Beach Toyota for $26,100 before tax, license and registration.

An excellent price, although the post-purchase experience has been a little disappointing. It turns out they gave me one key that was either for a different Prius or was mis-programmed, and I didn't find this out until the next day, when my wife dropped me off and then found herself stuck at work later that evening because her key didn't work. It took Manhattan Beach a week to come up with a satisfactory solution, allowing me to take it to a local dealership to get it fixed quickly.

9. gregzgurl

gregzgurl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just bought my prius today! I've been searching for a red touring package 6 with bisque leather. Red tourings are hard to find in the Southeast. After talking to MANY dealerships all over the state, I went outside the box and found my car in NC. I ended up purchasing a red touring package 5 with bisque cloth and had leather heated seats added. The only accessories included was carpet mats.

Vehicle: $25,624
    Leather and heated seats: $1500
    My total price before ttl: $27,124

I think I got a good price. I had to travel about 400 miles to get it, but it was definitely worth it. Otherwise, I would still be waiting and paying thousands more for this in Florida! :cool:

10. alfhild@grics.net

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    i bought my 2001 prius on ebay with 18k miles for $12,500 in march 2003---i currently have 130k mi and consistantly get 50mpg in warm weather and 43-44 in the winter--we drive slow 62 on interstates and 50 on 2 lane rds--we live in northern ill--the only mistake that i have made was to buy an after market warranty---$1500 wasted
    if you buy a hybrid for the gas savings, it is a mistake--i bought mine because i wanted to save on resale value---depreciation has always been the most expensive part of driving, do the math

11. alfhild@grics.net

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    i bought my 2001 prius on ebay with 18k miles for $12,500 in march 2003---i currently have 130k mi and consistantly get 50mpg in warm weather and 43-44 in the winter--we drive slow 62 on interstates and 50 on 2 lane rds--we live in northern ill--the only mistake that i have made was to buy an after market warranty---$1500 wasted
    if you buy a hybrid for the gas savings, it is a mistake--i bought mine because i wanted to save on resale value---depreciation has always been the most expensive part of driving, do the math

12. rexg

rexg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    bought two today and was 21,9xx each with nancy ware in toyota walnut creek. i do not have the exact figures with me since she lowered the price from 22,1xx to match my other p2 without wheel locks. i know that a lot of us shop and take the deals around. i did that too but ultimately stopped at toyota walnut creek since they gave me the best deal upfront without any negotiations. when i emailed nancy, she was straightforward in her pricing, no pressure, no asking me to come in. it was either i liked her low price or not. i knew that if i ever came in, it would be the easiest transaction ever and yes it took me 3 hours from start to finish on two cars but that is because nancy's husband, dave, spent almost two hours orienting me and my fiancee on the hybrid technology and the tips and tricks to do stuff like backing up using your camera as an aid. basically he did not want us discovering things while running at 70mph. not to mention we had starbucks ready for us when we came in as it was 9am.

with that being said, i am overly pleased with my purchase and i give them 120 percent.

btw if someone is looking for a silver p2 with leather and moonroof, she has one right now for 23,9xx i believe. i almost got it but my fiancee was already set on the silver p2 with no leather.

13. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

I hate to be picky, but this thread would provide much more useful information if people provided not just the price they paid, but the relation to invoice. That is a much better indication of availabilty / market forces, how much one can bargain with the dealer, and will help people who have not yet purchased. With simply a $$ amount and package, there really are too many additional factors that are unanswered to really know realationship to invoice. Was car a 1220 or 1224, was it in gulf states (with different pricing), did it include things like floor mats or etching, vehicle prep fees, etc...

though I have not taken delivery yet, I recently purchased a 1224, package #2 for invoice price. Dealer stated he would sell anything on the lot for invoice...

14. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Package 6
    MSRP: $27,803
    Purchase Price: $25,700 + TTL
    Drive Away Price: $27,585

The purchase price is $200 below factory invoice and $2,100 below MSRP.

Purchased 02/10/2008 at Silver Spring Toyota in MD.

Notes: I contacted 8 dealers in the area and got prices on the package 6 with MSRP listed above. I then negotiated with the dealers by letting them know what other dealers were offering. Some dropped out and I got down to two that were willing to do the same price that I finally paid for it.

Personally, I feel this is a very good price and I felt completly comfortable with the purchase. Also, the purchase was completely straightforward with no hidden costs, no haggling and no stress. Very easy.

15. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

here's my problem - like this other person, my dealer tells me invoice is 22490. however edmunds, KBB, and consumers reports all state about $490 less for invoice (and yes, I've accounted for carpets, and destination charges)...what gives?

16. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer invoice price does not factor in the factory holdback and other factory incentives. That is why the 'real' dealer cost is less than the dealer invoice price. In other words, the dealer paid the invoice price for the car, but then gets additional kickbacks when the car his sold, including the holdback and other incentives (e.g., the dealership gets additional money if they sell a certain number of cars each month - that's why you can get a better deal if you buy at the end of a month).

While it is nice to know the holdback and it can help you negotiate, you have to expect the dealer to make some money off the car. I was able to go $200 below invoice and I could not get either of the two lowest bidding dealers to go below that price (even though they both knew they were competing against each other). Of course some sales people are willing to sell a car at zero profit just get their montly sales numbers up, so it is possible to get the car at cost - but that just depends on how much haggling you have the tolerance for.

17. yonessa

yonessa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rockville1, can you tell me which person you made the deal with? I am in the market for a Prius #5 in Maryland.

So far, I am not terribly impressed with the sales people. They tack on accessory packages onto the invoice to make an addition $300. (I think that's why some of you guys are being quoted more than the invoice price listed on edmund's). Others include a dealer handling fee for tax and title. Are you guys having the same experience?

18. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

I have now figured out most of the differences, and understand the dealer is stuck paying the TDA (adverstising) but what about the wholesale financial reserve. Any luck negotiating that off?

19. jump123

jump123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Invoice price: 22,396
    Paid 21,700
    Trade In: 2000
    Plus local taxes (8.3%) + DMV License/Registration ($121)

Prius dark grey (metallic) Option #2.

Took 6 hours at the dealer but it was worth it! I LLLLLLLLLOOOOOVEEEE this car.

20. yonessa

yonessa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    congrats! i just got a new Prius tonight as well. 2008, package 5, $24,100 (plus $100 "dealer handling feel"). Not too shabby! I think I got the deal because it's President's Day and Feb was a slow sales month. I can't believe this cute car is sitting on my driveway tonight!!!!!!! :)