1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much you paid for your Prius??

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Prius07Pkg4, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Kathy Keen

Kathy Keen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Prius people!
    I'm so excited...in two days I'm going to buy my red 2008 Prius with Pkg #2. I'm getting it at Thompson Toyota in Edgewood, MD.
    Price is $22,500 which includes carpet mats. Edmunds MSRP is $23,710 and their TMV (what others are paying) is $23,136. I've done all the price negociations over the phone. I spoke to two other dealers and this was the best price I could get. My salesman is Craig Mosier. I told him when I come in to get the car, I don't want to talk to anyone about paint/fabric protection or extended warranty. He agreed to that. I'll be financing it through Toyota for 6% for 60 months. I'm going to try to get them to go a little lower. I'm expecting my out-the-door price to be around $23,500 (tax & tags are around $950). I'll post my actual price + experience closing the deal after I bring the car home.
    Kathy

2. mrfish67

mrfish67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suppose that I will NEVER get that good of a deal in Southern California; the best I have seen yet is $25,886 before taxes and miscellaneous things.

3. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just picked up our 2008 Mag Gray Touring Pkg 3 on Valentine's Day last week. $24,222 pretax/title/doc fee. Purchased from Brunswick Toyota in, of all places, Brunswick, OH. Not too bad of a deal from what I can gather. The best part was being able to pick it up on my lunch break and get back to work with time to spare. This included a 15 minute drive each way.

Wheelskin is already on, EBH to be installed this weekend, tires are up to 43/41, ExactMats to be delivered tomorrow and LED interior lighting is on the list of DIY projects for next weekend. Very happy new owner here.

David

4. davpel

davpel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Proud to be a brand new Prius owner here in the Detroit, Michigan area. Just leased yesterday for what I think was a decent deal (please tell me if I'm wrong). Got a 2008 model, Package 5 for $0 down, 15K miles/year for $440/mo on a 39 month lease.

Everything was taken care of via the dealer's internet salesperson. A very smooth, pleasant purchase experience.

5. sweetguy

sweetguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got mine in Maine yesterday for $23, 650 -- package #4 with mats.

That includes everything but tax and title. Dealer told me he lost money on this one but I don't quite believe that.

6. jtwilkins

jtwilkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    SE Michigan Area
    2008 Magnetic Grey Package #2
    Floor / Trunk Mats
    Cargo Net
    5 Oil Changes
    $22,988 + Tax + Plates

Only a very few Magnetic Grays in the area so dealing was a bit tougher. Had two dealers that were at this price but any lower dealers seemed pretty confident that they could pass on my sale and sell it to someone else with more profit. The Prius in my area right now is pretty popular a lot of dealers mentioned shipping cars in from Ohio. So demand also makes it hard to get these prices down to invoice which I can confirm is around $22,500.

Detroit being a big auto city get used to dealing with "tough" dealers. Local Ann Arbor dealership flat our refused to deal over the phone or via email until I asked to speak to a manager and by that time I all ready had a deal and didn't want to give this jerks my business. Other dealers would send quote but if you countered aggressively they would just ignore your email or only want to continue on phone.

7. skye

skye New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After realizing that we got taken for the "warranty" on another thread, I was terrified to look at this thread. I was expecting "Oh, I paid $17,999" Glad to see that we got a reasonably good deal.

We paid $22,300 for a Package #2 at Ventura Toyota in California.

We got them to go $500 lower than their sale price. The real coup was getting a good trade-in on our old car. Actually, I am saying "we" when it was my wife that did all the wheeling and dealing. I spent the entire time in the Moon Bounce with our toddler. Best...shopping....ever! :)

8. maclion

maclion Junior Member

2008 Mag Gray Touring Pkg 2 (also including floor and cargo mat) this week.

$21,700+TTL. (I got Toyota graduate finance, which have $400 rebate, Loan rate is 6.7% for 48 month).

I bought it from Ken's Toyota in Laramie, WY (A very small town). Saleman is Greg (?), Manager is Paul. Both of them are very honest.

9. Venturion

Venturion New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Prius Package #2 in Northern Virginia. $22,465 OTD inluding $400 recent grad discount. I'm happy!

10. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Finally bought one yesterday, after changing my mind more than two years ago. $21,909 + tax dmv doc for package #2 with mats, from Concord, CA. Second lowest quote was $21,997 from Walnut Creek.

11. mrfish67

mrfish67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I paid $25,614 + plus taxes and DMV fees for a magnetic gray package #5 at Toyota of Santa Monica. I was going to go with AutoLand, but I didn't get a competitive quote for either the new car or my trade-in.

I was bummed about my trade-in, mostly because my previous car, a 2001 Accord EX, was in accident in August 2002 (when it was exactly 364 days old) and was therefore "tainted goods" since it had some frame damage. Even though repairs were made, it lost nearly half its value due to that. That was a really good car, in spite of the accident history.

Otherwise, the Prius is great. I have been getting 49-51 MPG to and from work this week so far. I did experience the weird gas pump phenomenon that I have heard about around here...last Saturday night, I only got in $2 before I gave up on it because the pump kept shutting itself off almost immediately. The gas gauge was down two bars from full at that point. Sunday morning, I managed to get in $4. Then it was full. After nearly 60 miles, it still has nearly a full tank.:)

Then again, 60 miles is nothing gas-wise for a car like this. I have been coasting to traffic lights, and lightly accelerating during heavy traffic to prevent really using much gas (if any).

12. Mag Gris

Mag Gris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm kicking myself a little for not bargaining harder after reading these posts. But oh well, gotta let it go. Love the car.

Here's what we paid (it will make you feel better about your deal!):

Cost of vehicle: $26,350.

Total cost, w/ tax, tags, ext. warranty (7/100,000 for $990): $29,118.90

We did get a decent trade in value for our 1997 Honda accord w/ 160K miles: $1,590.

13. CAMP

CAMP New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi!

This site has been a great place for info. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I have never posted but have been reading for months and the time has come for us to buy a new car. My husband and I have tried to contact severeal dealers to get some competitive pricing however we have not heard back from anyone. So this evening we went into a dealer and this is the offer we got.

2008 Driftwood (package 2) 23,909 (-200 is all they would do) so 23,700 +TTL = 26,012 OTD.

They wanted a deposit on the driftwood coming in later this week. I mentioned we are checking with other dealers. They only has 3 on the lot. They told us they hold our check and do not cash it. It is just a priority hold so we get first call. (I took the risk)

Anyway, I was hoping to get 22,500 (21,700 really) but they were not willing to come down anymore than 200. What do you think of the price? Anyone got any suggestions for dealers in our area? We are in Memphis, TN area so Arkansas and Mississippi are not far. How long should we wait to hear from some via internet?

The last time we bought a car it was all over the phone and fax. No hassels. I just hate the whole idea of buying a new car but it's time.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

14. senorwillis

senorwillis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Black Prius package #5 with mats for $24,050. + tax and dmv from City Toyota in Colma CA near San Francisco, December 2007

No trade

I did well :)

15. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my 2008 Touring Magnetic Gray, 16inch tires, leather, Nav, Bluetooth, and such for an out the door price of $27,950. I bought my car at Toyota Vallejo,Ca. I did almost all of the dealing with the dealer through the internet. I got great quotes from Fairfield and Napa too. Fairfield came in at $26,001 plus tax and tags. Napa came in at $26,110 plus tax and tags. Vallejo won my business with a bid of $25,788 plus tax and tags. There were no hidden costs. I knew what I wanted so that made it easy. I couldn't get a quote from Lithia in Redding. Lithia started at $28,400 and really didn't want to deal. They told me that the bids from Vallejo, Fairfield, and Napa were all below invoice and they couldn't figure out how they could give me such a price. I can tell you that the folks at Toyota Vallejo were awesome. The deal was easy. They came down from their initial quote of $26,350 and I am very happy. So call Jason in Vallejo and let him work a deal for you too!

16. iblekh

iblekh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i think i did okay....

manhattan beach toyota

29,485.00 out the door

for a new 2008 silver with dark grey leather includes
    • package 6
    • additional 3 year /100000 warrenty on the computer
    • free car washes every week
    • free oil changes
    no trade in

17. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trust me...they never lose money...perhaps make less that they would like.

But never lose money.

18. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

Certainly can't argue with that, but I just don't understand the business model...Everything I've read states that real dealer cost is about 3% below invoice...2% holdback, and 1% wholesale financial reserve...I understand a dealer might sell a car below real cost, if they can make it up with profit on a trade-in, or financing, or warranty, or some other associated item. However, some forum posters are reporting getting the car for 2% + LESS than invoice, leaving the dealer almost no apparent profit, and no tradein or dealer financing.....Is a dealer really able to sell a car for 100-200$ above real cost on a $20,000+ item? does not really seem plausible, unless there is something else in this equation that I am missing????

19. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most of the money is probably made in the service department. Also, used cars are more profitable than new cars.

20. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

Come to think of it, I seem to remember seeing one of those color pie charts in the USAToday newspaper 2 years ago, that showed of the average new car dealr only ~15% of profits were from sale of new cars. I think 60% was service, 20% used cars, and 5% misc...

In general, I could belive that, but considering the reliability of all newer cars, and toyotas in particular, that surprises me a bit. I guess that's why dealers are pushign 3000 miles oil changes, and $299, 15000 miles "tune-ups" that aren't required in the owner's manual. So bottom line, does that really mean that a car dealer would sell a 25,000+ vehicle for essentially ZERO profit, and hope to make it up with service, extended warranties, etc?