1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much you paid for your Prius??

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Prius07Pkg4, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, the dealer's actual cost is most likely below the "invoice" price. For many cars, paying the invoice price is too much.

It's a mixture of invoice and MSRP, definitely not the dealer's cost.

2. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't think that should be an issue. They make more money servicing cars than selling cars.

3. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How does $25900 sound for an '09 package 3?

4. cautious123

cautious123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello, I too am looking into buying a prius. I have a quote for 26,500 and 29,000 OTD for a package 5 spectra blue in the bay area. Does anyone know if this is a good price? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

5. physicsdude

physicsdude New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Some advice on cancellations of existing plans, from the warranty guys themselves.

6. Avanhall

Avanhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I received my 2008, package 6 two weeks ago. I paid $29,060 which included window tinting and clear bra, plus $200 handling and applicable taxes. I saw the car on Craigslit through a local Leasing company. Brand new, with 12 miles on it.

7. Ciscoftw

Ciscoftw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just bought a black 09 Prius yesterday with package #2, carpet floormats, and pre-installed Lojack (value of $500) for $23,893 before TTL and $26,074 OTD. The dealer even drove 100 miles to and from another dealership to do a dealer trade to get this prius I wanted (black w/ package 2). I probably didn't get the best deal out there but I believe I got a good deal considering the recent sharp jump in demand for FE vehicles.

8. physicsdude

physicsdude New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I learned something new - call it a 'car secret' - about buying a new car. The guy in the finance department can, within a certain range, choose your interest rate. If you say you don't want any extended warranty, GAP coverage, or service plan - he probably won't be as good to you on the rate. For instance, I was originally quoted 6.9% on the rate. I didn't like that too much, and said so, but what was I going to do? He asked if I wanted the extended warranty, etc and I said yes. Went home (this was planned, car was not in until tomorrow) and came back the next day. He had gotten the rate down to 5.8% but had not given me a good deal on the extended warranty, etc. I signed on the line anyway - I really wanted that Prius! Then I found out about the discount Toyota warranties, etc. here on priuschat.com So I called Toyota Financial and canceled my extended warranty and service plan (actually I mailed my request in). This will pay off almost $4k to my principal - right now. My payments won't change, but I'm in a better place than I would've been if I had just turned down the coverages to begin with! 1% less interest rate! And with my principal reduced and me essenially paying more per month than I "need" (due to the reduced principal) to I think I'll pay the car off somewhere near a year faster!
    Actually, it'll save me so much in interest payments that the discounted extended warranty and service plan are essentially 'free'.

You have to be willing to deal with making sure the plans are canceled and then getting the new ones over the internet, etc. But if you're willing to deal with that headache get ready to save some green!

I would feel guilty about this if the dealerships weren't always pulling essentially the same sort of tricks on us. Power to the drivers! :)

p.s. I also learned that GAP coverage is probably worthless on the Prius due to the Prius' high blue book value, and canceled that too. Chalk that up as $600+ bucks saved also. You should research that one (and everything) yourself of course though (search priuschat for GAP related threads).

9. physicsdude

physicsdude New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Found out it's a sticker that goes on the bumper. Only on a new car could they charge you $69 for a sticker. You can get the actual rear bumper protector in the priuschat shops for HALF that. Live & learn.

10. Haldan

Haldan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I found mine for $24,000 on a used car lot in Ontario, 2 days after my Mazda Millennia burned in a fire. After taxes, my 2007 Prius with 24000 miles and no winters cost me $27,100. The car is extremely clean and I am averaging 55 mpg so far!

11. physicsdude

physicsdude New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ciscoftw, that sounds like a good price, considering that the Lojack was included. You probably were helped by the horrible state of the economy - even Prius' aren't selling as well as they used to.

12. rajafan

rajafan New Member

Just got a used prius from dealer - 2007 Prius - metallic grey, package 6 touring model with 33k miles for 21.5K out the door. Not sure if it is a good price. But, I love my car and am getting ~52mpg avg in the first 200 miles! Wonder if it is possible to hit 60mpg
    I look forward to reading posts from this forum and learn more about my prius.
    Ram

13. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We just bought a new 2009Prius Touring Pkg#6 today in San Diego with the full Preferred package (floor mats, first aid kit, etc etc). We asked them for a printout of the invoice, which was $27,313 (matched the invoice price we got from Edmunds). We managed to get the car for $687 above invoice (so $28,000) which we thought was a fair deal. Had just arrived on the lot (financing fell through for the person that ordered it) and had not even been used for a test-drive by anyone yet, so practically had 0 miles on it (not yet broken in). I guess we could've probably gotten it at $500 above invoice (as we had asked for; dealer countered with $1000) but an extra $187 wasn't a huge deal given the overall cost to us... With the current finance/credit woes and the 2010Prius / Instinct coming as soon as late-spring, there are definitely some dealing out there that's possible, especially if you can find a dealer who has a car on the lot.

Oh, and we did not trade in a car, nor did we take their extended warranty / extra care package, so neither of those were on the table as bargaining points.

14. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Wow ... sounds like a great deal... Mine is a Package 2 Touring with leather added at the port, as well as window tinting, added the homelink mirror with compass, and something called Package B. It was 28k including the 775 Toyota fee, Tax, Tag, and License.... Dealer added all weather mats, and a couple of free oil changes. LOVE MY PRIUS.... we still have local dealers selling them for 2 to 3k over MSRP, and I had waited three months, so Im Very Happy

15. p1cfl01

p1cfl01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    In NJ, 2009 Package #3, paid $26399 + TTL and $520 for Lojack......

16. Morgueman

Morgueman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    2009 Prius Package 2 (White). Paid $23,100 + TTL = $25,188. Plus, dealer threw in 2 future in/out detail jobs. San Diego dealer on 10/20/2008. This was a cash deal ($3K on credit card, $22,188 by check).

I was real happy with the deal...figured it was about $100 over Edmunds invoice. However, the next day, I saw the same car for $22977 + TTL (5 at this price). Today, I saw the same car $20,977 + TTL (1 at this price). Prices are dropping!!!!

17. desertking

desertking New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I bought a new (2 miles) 2009 Package 5 (not touring) today with exactly the invoice price. I started with Costco program which is about $1000 below MSRP in 2 out of 3 participating dealers in Phoenix/Arizona. I was able to cut the DOC fee to $100, instead of $399 (most dealers in AZ will charge you this ridiculous number). It's not difficult to cut to this invoice price, especially to buy the car in the lot already. I suggest to call at least 2 largest dealers to compare and compete between them. All negotiations were through email and phone in 3-4 days. Went there once and picked it up and drove it home few hours ago. Paid $3000 by credit and the remaining by check. No car traded.

The economy is really bad. I was not able to cut at all just 2-3 months ago. I believe it's possible to get it even less in another few weeks. Good luck.

18. jinshim

jinshim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Recent hybrid convert... Just purchased 2009 Touring Package 6 for 28500 (before tax, fees, and etc.) near Los Angeles. I think the price could have been lower if we didn't have a trade-in. I passed on extended warranty, pre-paid maintenance, and other financing nonsense. Recently got my money back for the window etching that they claim it was "accidentally" added.

19. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it looks like prices are dropping again to invoice. you can now find the cars on the lot and not have to wait. the economy and gas prices are bring the price of the prius back down.

20. Skelly_Crash

Skelly_Crash Maryk & Adrain

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Used 2008 Touring Package #3 Black with 7000 miles bought for $25,000