1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Norway pushed EV adoption

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, May 29, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far this year, 83% of new cars sold in Norway were EVs. And much of the remaining 17% was made of hybrids.

This is a good, clear explanation of why.

I cannot show this video to my Mum or my sister, as when I was in my teens they were totally in love with Morten Harket and this just makes him look even better.

But otherwise, an excellent video.

The obligation to include charging infrastructure in apartment buildings was particularly interesting.

Zythryn likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i sped watched it, did i miss electricity production, infrastructure and kwh cost?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The video didn't cover it, but it is virtually all hydro with some renewables. The fossil fuel plants seem to be limited to a few natural gas ones, which seem to be mostly back up, or at least they want it just for that. There is an island that mines coal that uses a couple of coal plants for electric and heat.
    National Energy Grid of Norway - National Electricity Transmission Grid of Norway - Global Energy Network Institute - GENI conducts research and education on: renewable energy resources interconnections globally, world peace, stablesustainable development solutions
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Norway

The rates are higher than the EU average. 13.39 euro cents per kWh in 2020; about 14 cents US.

bisco and hkmb like this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Lots of rain, lots of mountains.

That's interesting, given that their petrol (gasoline) is only marginally more expensive than the rest of Europe. In the first few months of this year, the price was US$2.56 per litre, or US$9.70 per US gallon. So the petrol vs electricity price differential can't be much more of a driver for EV adoption than it is elsewhere.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does norway have any oil companies? lobbyists?

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil has been the primary driver of Norway's economy over the last 50 years. It's been a massive exporter of oil, but it's trying to wean itself off of it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and doing a bang up job, it would seem.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In terms of domestic consumption, yes.

But when I say "they're trying to wean themselves off it", I meant in terms of the economy. The petroleum sector accounts for about 40% of Norway's exports and 14% of its GDP. While they rely so much on oil exports, all the EVs in the world are not going to make up for the ultimate emissions of their economy. It's like Australia's coal exports, or Qatar's gas exports: you can publicly greenwash all you like, but is there a point to it?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's the same everywhere, isn't it? we talk cars here, but there are so many energy problems that need to be solved, and outside factors like inflation and ukraine keep hampering efforts

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. And something is better than nothing.

And Norway is using the money it's made in the past from oil for a sovereign wealth fund that secures the country's future without a future oil industry.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the oil nationalized?

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seems their rates fluctuate with the available water. They are also a net exporter of electricity. So domestic users are competing with the rest of Europe during peak times. I'm guessing renewable/green electricity is part of the plan for post oil.

Much of their wealth comes from North Sea oil. The largest oil company there is 67% owned by the state.

bisco likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't yet watched the full video. But during our visit three years ago, it seemed that in the Oslo business core, the only transport machines more prevalent than Teslas were bicycles. This was partially driven by tax incentives, with high taxes helping reduce ICE vehicles in that core. While EVs were seen throughout our travels in the country, they were very significantly less prevalent outside central Oslo.

From the first portion of the video, it seems that EV adoption there and in the rest of the country has picked up sharply since then.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like how they closed some of the downtown streets to traffic. we've done a bit of that, but not enough

drash and Trollbait like this.