1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how often do officers enforce front license plate laws?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fortheanimals, Apr 25, 2010.

1. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Again I have to disagree here.

While it is true there are lots of poor criminals that commit crimes to become incarcerated in the penal system, we as a nation do not imprison the poor because they are poor... we put criminals that commit crimes in prison (unless you have lots of money sometimes, a-la OJ or that fella in NYC that killed his wife and then dressed up as a woman)

Most criminals in prison are there for drug possession and sales... that isn't a "poor" thang Bra... that's a behavioral thang.

And fully a third of them are career criminals that do not believe in becoming productive citizens... I DO have some insight and opinion based on work by my family and yours truly as workers and such outside of the bars.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bernie made off is in prison. or so they tell me. could be a country club.:rolleyes:

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh the front license plate IS REQUIRED and u may read your registration for that information

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are very few rich people in prison. Even when they commit the same crimes they get off. The cops break down doors in Watts, guns drawn, on "information" that they might find a reefer. This never happens in Beverly Hills. The laws are differentially enforced against the rich and the poor. And if you do get arrested, an expensive lawyer will get you off when a public defender will not. The worst theft is white-collar, but white-collar criminals are seldom jailed. Tobacco is a more insidious drug than pot, but because rich corporations sell tobacco it is legal. Citibank knowingly helped Raul Salines to launder drug money, but none of them went to jail. There was criminal activity galore in the recent credit melt-down, and the vast majority of the criminals will get off completely free. Get charged with a crime, and the real determinant of whether you'll go to prison is not whether you are actually guilty or innocent, it's how much you can afford to spend on a lawyer. The outcome of a trial has nothing to do with guilt or innocence, and everything to do with the skill and preparation of the lawyers; and the cops don't even bother enforcing the laws against rich people.

There are some people in prison who have broken some law or other. And a few of those actually did something anti-social (as opposed to victimless crimes). But they aren't there for their crimes. They're there because they could not pay a good lawyer. Being poor is the only real crime in a nation where money is god and greed is the state religion.

There are a few rich people in prison, when there's a really high-profile case and the prosecutor cannot get out of prosecuting. Then they go to a prison camp (a.k.a. "country-club" prison)

As for the character of the people in prison, until you have lived with them, on the same side of the bars, you don't know them. The real psychopaths inside the prison walls are the guards. Those people are sick beyond imagining.

Oops. You are right. And yet, here in WA they don't seem to enforce it for cars that lack a place for the front plate. (... Maybe because those cars are usually the more expensive ones???)

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I have any real disagreement with anything you say, Daniel, but...how do you feel about sailing? :)

All those beautiful mountains you love so much can be just as spectacular from the water, the air is clean and fresh...oh wait, you get seasick, right? Never mind. It was just a random thought to give you some joie de vivre to replace the cynicism.

7. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do you believe that all of the currently-defined "crimes" are truly deserving of that punishment? For a "behavorial thang"?

8. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My wife was driving the "other car", an Audi TT in the small town of Port Townsend, Wa., where we live. She was pulled over, ( the cop made a U turn ) and the officer said not having a plate in the front of the car is a $124 fine in Washington State. My wife said the "car belongs to my husband" and talked her way out of the fine. ( I was driving the Prius that day) This is the 5th time one of us has been pulled over in this small town, no tickets given. All of this tells me that, as one might think, small town cops have nothing better to do than keep a close hand on the locals..and that the way it is.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When they get the correct house, that is....

Bad information leads police to wrong house; bullets fly | StarTribune.com

Police Get The Wrong House In Galveston, Allegedly Assault 12-Year-Old Girl - Houston News - Hair Balls

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House - ABC News

Police raid wrong house, trade gunfire - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's another law they never enforce: SUVs and pickup trucks are classified as trucks.
    Yet they cruise "No Trucks" passing lanes routinely like cars. They are not cars, officer.

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not true, DMV issues passenger car license to the SUVs. They are legally a passenger car even they are mechanically a truck for emission purpose. This is how politics works.

12. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not believe all the things that are a crime today should be.

Personally... I am against putting anyone in prison for recreational use by adults of intoxocants in a private setting... in whatever flavor they imbibe. I mean, if George Washington smoked pot, why shouldn't anyone be able too... however, it does not excuse driving or piloting any craft while impared... and I believe anyone that kills a person while drunk driving should be charged with premeditated murder.

Some behaviors are at the top of my list for pokey time, most of em deal with sex or abuse of a minor... as for the sheep/pig/goat/cow/horse humpers... they shouldn't be incarcerated with murderers and gang-bangers... cause they'll just pick up other/new bad behaviors while in the box.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love sailing. Yes, I get seasick. That diminishes the fun. I now have a new prescription. Until now I've used Transderm Scop, which is scopolamine in a 3-day patch. But the delivery seems uneven and the dosage cannot be controled. Now I have a bottle of Scopace. Same drug, but in an oral tablet. I'll see how well it works on my next trip, in a week from now. Five days on a live-aboard snorkeling boat, swimming with wild dolphins and taking freediving (breath-hold diving) lessons. It should be fairly calm this time of year.

That's why I put "information" in quotes. They bust down doors whether their information is right or not. Then when they kill an innocent person they plant drugs to "justify" the raid.

But they don't do that in wealthy neighborhoods. Only in poor neighborhoods. Differential enforcement. Even though rich people use drugs as much as poor people. Probably more, since they can afford it.

Shoplifting is a crime, and that's as it should be. But why don't they imprison the people who made millions of dollars bankrupting their own financial institutions? Differential enforcement. The "justice" system is broken and the wrong people are in prison.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    personally, i think the reason why they "want" us to have the front license plate is to make photo enforced traffic controls more effective. its just double the opportunity to identify which car was the violator

1 person likes this.
  15. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A "Truck" is a 10 wheeler.

:focus:
    Why temp the police by not having a front plate on? It rates right up there with driving with a cracked windshield or a headlight out.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without question a 10 wheeler is a truck. Depending on the location, many smaller vehicles are also trucks. When we lived in Indiana many years ago, our little Jeep C-J5 was classified as a truck and had a truck plate. Of course that was before the SUV craze, back when trucks were mostly used as trucks.

Tom

17. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  18. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    In this state, pickup trucks are trucks. SUVs are cars, unless the owner asserts that the SUV is primarily used to haul goods and not people, in which case it can be registered as a truck if they really want to. Trucks have a license plate that says "Truck" and pay higher registration fees. I thought there was some kind of tax benefit, but I couldn't find anything on that so maybe I'm mistaken on that point.

But I also checked the vehicle code, and while the sign on the highway does say "No Trucks..", it only applies to vehicles over 10,000 pounds (GVWR is probably what is meant, but it's not explicitly stated).

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In order not to deface a car that is manufactured without a front plate holder. And in a city that has no automated photo traps, it's hardly an issue. And I repeat that in WA motorcycles are not even issued a front plate. My Xebra is a motorcycle according to the illogical state vehicle code. And the Porsche does not have enough range to ever go very far from town. (Coeur d'Alene is about as far as it can go and return without recharging.)

20. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A few years ago, I was ticketed for no front plate by a meter maid,while parked in Berkeley.