1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often do you charge your Plug-in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Eug, Mar 10, 2015.

?
  1. A few times a day

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Every day

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. A few times a week

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. A few times a month

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. A few times a year or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I wonder, how many people use the Plug-in Prius mostly as a hybrid with only occasional EV type use? I have read a few reviews that say the plugging in gets to be a chore for them. In my case I could see that becoming a hassle in the winter, as I don't have a functional garage. (It was converted into a home theatre by the previous owner.)

How often do you charge your PiP?

My workplace is 15 km away which is perfect for the PiP's range, so ideally I'd charge twice per day, once at home and once at work. On the snowy cold winter days, I'd actually be more inclined to do it just once a day at work (since the parking garage is covered), assuming it is OK with them and I can get a parking spot next to an outlet. And if I can't find that charging spot at work I could see myself going a few days without charging if it is a particularly nasty spell weather wise, assuming that doesn't damage the battery system.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my work is 7 miles. i charge at home in the garage and outside at work. it's just a plug, so i take the cord with me, and it's a bit of a pain in really bad weather, but not enough to use gasoline. one day, i had to shovel out my outlet which was buried behind 10' of snow bank a plow left against the building.:p

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good survey!...But I assume you live in CA...In CA you have the HOV reason to get a PiP (temporarily) even if you don't use it as a Plug_in.

Another good survey would be PiP owners: where do you live (a) CA and (b) other. We do not have that data but my guess is 60%+ of PiP sales are in CA until now. But generally when we do a survey on Prius Chat (eg; re: Gen2 battery failure) we find our readership here is not really representative of the total population. But the PriusChat surveys are still a very useful tool, as long as we realize it is a survey of ourselves.

#3 wjtracy, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm in CA as in Canada, not California. :) For my 2012 Prius Plug-in Wikipedia says they sold 63 of them in all of Canada. I guess mine is #64. (Actually, I do not know how they count the model year sales. I just bought a 2012 dealer demo, in 2015.)

The HOV lane benefit is ending here in Ontario this year. It was a nice bonus, but truthfully it's not a huge deal to me, since most of my driving is in the city. The few HOV lanes in the city don't qualify for this. It's just the HOV lanes on the big highways that I'm rarely on.

BTW, the reason I bought it was because of the trim package, it had reasonable mileage, and it was physically on the lot and available. The Plug-in was just a nice bonus. I paid a premium for it, but not as much as it would have been otherwise. I approached the negotiation as if I was buying a regular used Prius with the Technology Package, and tacked a little bit more money on top of that to compensate for the Plug-in part.

#4 Eug, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    wjtracy likes this.
  5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live 13 miles from work with a ~650 feet elevation change. I can make it to work in EV and I can get to within about 2-3 miles of making it all the way home in EV.

I can charge at work as well. So that pretty much forces me to charge twice a day. I sometimes think I'm in a weird spot, range-distance-wise. If I was, say 15+ miles from work, where there is no way I could make it in all EV (given regular flow of traffic), I wouldnt care so much about starting the engine. But because I know I can make it if I just put in a little effort, I pretty much have to.

What my experience so far has shown me though is that I should've just gone straight EV from the start. I used to think the Leaf's range of ~70 miles was a joke. But really, I could commute 2-3 days in a Leaf and I would never even need to charge at home.

PriusC_Commuter and 3PriusMike like this.
  6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Do you have another car? We have two, so we could work with a pure EV plus second car, but we couldn't have just one pure EV alone. There are several places we go where 70 miles would not be enough. In fact, even just going to the airport and back, with a few errands and a meal in between would give me range anxiety. 70 miles is 112.6 km, and the airport is 40 km away.

BTW, I just confirmed with my workplace that they're OK if I plug my car in in the parking garage, as long as I choose a spot next to an outlet so that the cabling doesn't get in the way of traffic or other parking spots. No dedicated EV parking spots though, so it's first come first serve. Actually, it turns out they're considering installing EV chargers in the future, albeit not in my particular garage. Luckily though, with our Priuses, we don't need dedicated chargers and the charge time on 120 V is short.

7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I voted every day, but on weekends, I'll plug in whenever I am at home. I just leave the plug within reach, so just a couple of seconds to plug and unplug are no bother.

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, I think summer will be fine (unless a big rainstorm or something). It's the winter I'm more worried about, not necessarily from the perspective of the cable lasting, but more for the hassle factor, like bisco's having to dig out the outlet, etc.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, we have another car (minivan). So my car is pretty much for commuting and short, quick trips/errands. I'm thinking Tesla Model 3 will be perfect for me, even with weekend trips that would require 100+ miles.

Thats how we started at my workplace. My car and a Leaf, plugged into the same outlets the security guards used to charge their golf cart. That expanded to 4 120V outlets, then they added 8 Chargepoint stations.. and now they're adding 8 more. I still use one of the four 120V outlets.. its perfect since no one else wants to use them so I dont have to move my car (and we have 4 PiPs, perfect for the 4 outlets).

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am going to email the environmental guy at my company to see if they will add EV charging spots. I can't quite make the 14 mile round-trip commute in the winter.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    My car has over 29000 km, with the EV usage screen showing ~250 km EV and ~24000 km HV.

I don't know where the other 5000 km went, but does this mean the dealer essentially just never charged the car?

Yeah, I need to RTFM, but I don't have it with me right now.

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thats probably what it means. As for where the other 5000km went, it was probably reset sometime around 5000km (its resettable and there are two ratio screens, 1 and 2)

rxlawdude likes this.
  13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I wonder what that non-charging does to the battery, if anything. The battery seems fine though. I got the 17.5 km EV range it claimed this morning. I did over 18 km I believe, but that was with the HV coming briefly a couple of times.

This car really requires one to RTFM. So far I haven't figured out how to switch between ratio 1 and 2, and I also have activated the hill start assist accidentally a couple of times. The first time it happened it freaked me out since I though the car had gone into some error mode.

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Eh, I'm sure your battery is fine.. may even been in better shape because it was hardly used (speaking in terms of capacity). The pack never goes below a certain threshold (18% IIRC) as long as the car didnt sit around for a long long period of time.

To switch between the two ratio screen, hit the Trip button, you'll see a little white square with the 1 and 2 switch back and forth each time you hit Trip. Your missing 5000km might be on the other ratio screen.

I tried to maintain the 2nd screen for my car's lifetime, but when my 12V battery died I lost that. I use screen 1 to keep track of each tank's ratio/numbers.

You could RTFM, but its not as fun as sifting through the thousands and thousands of messages here :D

rxlawdude likes this.
  15. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would plug my Prius Plug-in religiously for the first year after I bought it since gas was always more expensive than electricity, but stopped charging it when gas tanked. Then I got my LEAF and recently switched to charging my Prius overnight since I changed to TOU rates, so now just once per day (versus after everytime I would come home, so multiple times per day in the past). However, I no longer opportunity charge (use free public chargers) because I assume there will be full electric vehicles that need it much more than me (and can charge 3 times faster than me).

16. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Made it home today with a bit juice to spare. Charged up at work and it said 17.3 km available. Commute was measured at 16.5 km, with 1.5 km left.

I guess I fit the Toyota commuter demographic perfectly, with a 10 mile commute.

BTW, it took 32 mins. Average 25 km/hr. That's what you get for all in-the-city driving in a big congested city.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  17. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Got the real numbers from the other ratio screen.

Including my one day of driving (with one charge) and all of their previous driving, it was 28479 km HV mode and 730 km EV. So yeah, they almost never bothered to charge the Prius.

Given my 16-17 km commute distance, I could do that 730 km EV distance in a single month, assuming I had access to charging every day at work for the trip home.

Tracksyde likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to love the summer when you can pre-cool the car while it's plugged in. (Canada gets the Remote A/C for the Prius w/ Tech Pack, right?).

19. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yep. The fob comes with the AC option. In fact, both fobs they included have that AC option. Nice.

This is WAY better than the AC option on the non-Plug-in Priuses. However, it's unfortunate you can't pre-warm the car when it's plugged in. That missing electric heater would be perfect for this purpose.

20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    It looks like on average I personally will be charging ~10X per week, so up to a couple times a day with the workplace charging.

Bought an extra 12 AWG extension cord. In my parking lot the outlets are on the pillars facing the lanes, but only one side. If you get the parking spot right next to the pillar then great, but if you get the second parking spot in front of that, then the 22 foot Toyota cable is just a tad short. You can make it work by encroaching into the first spot, but that's not good etiquette.

For example, this image I downloaded illustrates this problem.

Angle_parking_lot_diagram.PNG

My parking lot isn't angled, but otherwise the picture is representative. Let's say the parking space adjacent to the outlet is on the pillar beside the yellow/beige car in the left bunch of parking spots. (The outlet is just above it in that picture.) The actual outlet is on the outermost wall of the pillar, adjacent to the roadway, which would be facing that down arrowhead in the picture.

If that yellow spot is taken, there are two spots on the left side I can park in and still have access to the plug without running the cable across any parking spots. Those two spots are the one the pink car is in, on the left, or else the parking spot right above the pink car (below the light blue car). (There is no parking spot above the yellow car, because in my parking lot that would be a stairwell.) If I back into the pink car spot, and park right at the edge, touching the yellow car's spot, then I can use the Toyota cable, as it is just barely long enough. However, if I park in the parking spot just above that pink car, then because of the orientation of the car, I can't charge it. Need an extension.

First world problem, I know, but easily solved by just keeping a 25' 12 AWG cable in the car.