1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often do you recharge the key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dachshund, Oct 20, 2006.

1. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 20 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]335823[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't there used to be an Art Linkletter TV shows called something Kids say the funniest things - maybe we could have one about the dealers. :D

2. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]335717[/snapback]</div>
    This is correct (I had a 2003 330Ci) and if the salesman at the dealership sold BMWs (or other vehicles with similiar remote systems), the misinformation provided might not be quite as bad as first seems.

BMW's remotes (and probably others), unlike the Toyota SKS, do not have a battery in the fob. BMW's remotes contain a capacitor which stores electrical energy for a period of time (much less than a battery, BTW) and does, in fact, 'recharge' when in the ignition slot.

The trade-off for not having to replace a battery in the BMW remote is that a BMW remote is much more likely to go dead if not regularly used than a Toyota SKS fob.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 20 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]335727[/snapback]</div>
    Look at my post (#6)

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 20 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]335700[/snapback]</div>
    I'm recharging mine in my pocket. ;)

5. MarkR

MarkR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 20 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]335763[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, my dealer told me that "B" was the regenerative braking! When I read on here that it only spun the ICE and that the MG's were the brakes we stopped using "B" Fuel consumption then became better than the official figures.

M

6. paul.villasenor

paul.villasenor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkR @ Oct 20 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]335921[/snapback]</div>

I'm still waiting for my '07 Prius to arrive, so I'm by no means an authority, but I'm pretty sure that "B" mode is for engine braking which will (A) charge the battery (i.e. regenerative braking) and (B) reduce your gas mileage if used all the time. I believe it's intended for use when going down a long downhill stretch (and you don't want to keep your foot on the brake) or if you want to slow yourself down on a slippery road without using the brakes.

7. paul.villasenor

paul.villasenor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Oct 20 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]335768[/snapback]</div>
    As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have my Prius yet, so I don't claim to be an authority. The following is based on my observation and characteristics of the SKS.

From my understanding of how the Prius' SKS works, it sounds like it uses RFID technology. This is the same technology used in the toll pass on your windshield, your ID at work that you also use to unlock doors, the fob you wave over a terminal at a convenience store to pay for your items or gas, and now the new passports. These devices don't require their own power source. Instead the sensor (i.e. Prius) generates an electric field which powers the circuitry on the RFID chip (i.e. SKS fob) when the chip is brought within the field. (I'm guessing the electric field on the Prius extends about a couple feet or so past the door.) The chip then uses that little bit of power to transmit an identifying signal to the sensor which then authenticates the chip. The range of the signal depends on the antenna on the chip and the range be configured to be anywhere from several feet away (ex. toll pass) to physical contact (ex. passport) depending on the application. Since you can also lock/unlock the Prius' doors, etc. by pressing the appropriate button on the fob, I'm guessing that the battery is used soley for those functions. If the power from the Smart-Entry system came from the fob, this would require a constant (trickling) power drain on the fob's battery (because it would always be looking for the car). Instead, this power comes from the Prius. If I'm not mistaken, there's a button under the steering wheel that lets you disable Smart-Entry if you're not going to drive the car for an extended period (to prevent an extended power drain on the car's battery).

If anyone wants to try to prove me right or wrong, take the battery out of your fob and see if the Smart-Entry and Smart-Start systems work. If I had my Prius, I'd try it myself, but the dealer said I could be waiting for up to 6 months. :( (I special ordered a gray 2007 Touring Edition with Package #6. For some reason, that combination isn't routinely available in my region.)

Paul

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recharged mine by putting in a new battery (after one year) when it started to become unreliable in opening the door, and the SKS action.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaulV @ Oct 20 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]335933[/snapback]</div>
    <ding ding ding> Someone did their homework!

It will regenerate but at <20mph. Above it, it'll spin the engine (engine brake) and won't regenerate. Shift into B going down a mountain side sounds like you're landing a small glider.

10. diverlee

diverlee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do some posters call the smart key a fob/FOB? Anyway, what does fob stand for, if anything? :blink:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nothing. Fob is that small remote that is used to unlock the car.

e.g. remote keyless entry fob.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 20 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]335915[/snapback]</div>
    You Dirty Old Man!! Stop that. Jerry Falwell is looking for your kind. Rubbing your Fob. You should be ashamed of your self. B)

13. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Oct 22 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]336320[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not supposed to do that? I thought it worked on static electricity! :lol:

... and I offer the following from Dictionary.com in answer to the fob question. I knew it was the thingy on the keychain but I didn't know it was also the pocket:

fob

–noun 1. a small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc. Compare watch pocket.
    2. a short chain or ribbon, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, attached to a watch and worn hanging from a pocket.
    3. the medallion or ornament itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1645–55; orig. uncert.; cf. G dial. Fuppe pocket]