1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often do you wash your PiP, what precaution you take

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rockfeller, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just drive it. Don't worry about it.

2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just exercise caution when cleaning. Use clean sponges/cloths and apply pressure sparingly. You're not sanding a floor :)

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you take your PIP through and automated car wash- you must put it in Neutral- so if the big EV battery is low on charge- the ICE won't start to recharge it when it's in "N" and it could kill the big battery. So, just make sure you have a decent EV charge when you take the PIP to the car wash... and turn off all the accessories too.

jdk2 likes this.
  4. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Thank you. I am going to wash it myself. Probably it's a good idea to unplug it from charger while washing, right? ;)

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have had three Priuses, and I have washed at least one of them.

jhinsc, fortytwok, Gruvin2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have washed my prius several times. I use a high quality car wash, and soft cloths. I noticed there are already some chips on the hood, and several chips on the bumper. I had this same problem with my 2006 Prius.

On my 2006 I put a black bra on the hood. This has prevented, more chips. The other day I bought a black bra from Covercraft. Item 45673-01. It fits the 2013 Plugin perfectly. I never let the bra get wet. If they do I immediately take them off.

7. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hand wash n wax, so you can get up close and also see whats happening with stone chips and rust etc

rogerv likes this.
  8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My understanding is that the charging system is rather water-tight, plus ground-fault detection logic, so washing a PiP while charging may not be as absurd as it sounds. For example, there apparently isn't any reason not to charge it in a rain storm.

9. SKMoss

SKMoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live up 600' of dirt drive way. Between what I kick up driving up and down the drive way and normal dust associated with living on a ranch, after a week my dark gray pip is a nice dark tan. So it's weekly washing.

This is the one mistake I made in the purchase. I know better than buying a dark colored car... I've forgotten about water spots...

10. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Car care products have evolved so much over the past 10-20 years that I find myself trying something new every few months. Searching for the perfect combination of ease of use, protection and shine. For the past few years my favorite combination has proved extremely easy to use and the results are outstanding.

I no longer use soap, only water to rinse, followed by a microfiber drying towel. When necessary and to save water I use a waterless wash, 3D Waterless Car Wash.

Every six months I apply a thin coat of wax, #BWM 1000 Hi-Temp Paste Wax. This stuff is shiny, slick, and tough enough to last more than six months.

At least once a week I spray with a protectant, #425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine. This is the slipperiest product I've found. It makes it easy to wipe off a weeks worth of dust without washing.

For tires and matte black exterior plastics I use #108 Anti Static Top Kote Tire Dressing. As the name implies, this is a coating which can last 2-3 weeks, but is still water based.

Inside I use Meguiar’s Quik Interior Detailer. It works on all interior including SofTex, LCD screen, and clear plastic instrument cluster.

ny_rob likes this.
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Meguiars leave that undesirable gloss/wet finish after application like the Armor All wipes?

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) No set time. I enjoy driving a clean car(s). I wash it when it needs it, it's not raining or projected to rain in the next several days. My Prius is WGM and I use the Mr Clean system. Once washed, I use a gas leaf blower to remove as much water as possible. I let it air dry. Takes about 45 minutes or less.

rogerv likes this.
  13. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

No, I prefer this particular Meguiar's product because it leaves residue, no added gloss, and is safe for all surfaces.

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks... I'm gonna pick some up and give it a try!
    Have you tried the Meguiar’s Quik Interior Detailer Wipes.. or just the spray?

15. Ian Mayo

Ian Mayo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I soaped mine up before it rained and left it in the drive - worked pretty well.
    That should please the environmentalists plus no scratches and I kept the $7 for Wed night beers

edit - wonder if the run-off affects the grass :censored:

SAronian and rogerv like this.
  17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They always say the best time to wash your car is when it's still wet from rain....

18. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have free car washes from the dealer for the first 2 years and after owning it for 18 months I've probably had them wash my car 8 times including my scheduled maintenance. I'm such a slacker!

19. firedoug

firedoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow Prius Chatters are a bunch of slobs!

I have always washed, vacuumed, and cleaned interior at least once a week of all my cars.

No special precautions for the PIP.

As far as door dings, I always park out in the North Forty, the walk does you good and you avoid door dings. I can't tell you how many times I see the same person circling or waiting for the close spot to be exited, while I walk past them into the store. Different stokes.

ckam1989, drash, orenji and 1 other person like this.
  20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am 76 years old, have an artificial leg and I do exactly what you do. Like you say, an added benefit is that we all need the exercise. My Prius is a 2011. I live in a Chicago suburb. I do not have even 1 door ding. My car is in showroom condition.

drash and orenji like this.