1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often do you wax your car?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Waterobert, Apr 27, 2018.

?
  1. Twice a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once a month

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Every second month

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Every six months

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  5. Once a year

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only once...right before I sell or trade them in. Then I pay to have it done. ;)

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Every 6 months works for me.

3. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I tend to go for longevity vs 'super awesome shine'. (y)

I have had extremely good luck with 'Sonax polymer net shield' :

I go nearly a year in between applications. Note that our cars are garaged so this probably makes a difference. Nevertheless, from my experience it does last quite a bit longer than other products I have used throughout the years.

#23 farmecologist, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Jayne K likes this.
  4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll typically wax the entire car by hand using a hard wax like "Turtle Wax" or "Finish 2000". But the front of the car will sometimes get it after each car wash. (1-2 weeks). I do the front of the car because of all the bugs. My Yaris never got a wax and the front of the car began to peel paint after a couple years starting right where those big squishy bugs met their fate.

I will add that I also wax the headlights regularly as well using the same hard wax. Seems like it helps to keep those micro scratches (as I call them) down a bit. You know the one's, they show up when your waxing at just the right angle to the light.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are two links that cover the exterior (washing, polishing, claybar and waxing) and interior (part 1, 2, 3, vacuuming and removing stains/cleaning upholstery)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/101-detailing-car-care/126755-detailing-your-vehicle-exterior.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/101-detailing-car-care/121592-detailing-your-vehicle-interior.html

Merkey likes this.
  6. cramer77

cramer77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Touring + Tech
    I recently discovered these easy wax wipes. Haven't tried them yet.
    Car Wax Wipes | Ultra Shine Wax Wipes

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Now that I've got a white car, never. (y) If possible, all future car purchases will be the same color too.

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will have to ask my wife, that's women's work.

benagi likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I usually get the car washed and the wax on, then my wife is a big help with the buffing. Today's waxes go on and off a lot easier too.

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the clear bra installed when the car was new, it will be interesting to see how it looks once it is cleaned up after winter.

That was 6 months ago.

11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use a polymer sealant, not a wax, once or twice a year. If the surface isn't slippery, I polish it before I apply the sealant. Polish smooths, cleans, shines the surface but doesn't protect it. Wax is great but short lived. Polymer sealant is good for many months. If I'm lax about the sealant, use a spray wax after every wash. Turtle Wax spray ICE wax is the current favorite. It only takes a couple of minutes on a clean car.

The sealant does slow the paint oxidation. Keeping the surface slick helps it reject dirt mainly from wet roads.

Jayne K and benagi like this.
  12. Jayne K

Jayne K Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been driving a 1993 2WD Extracab for 25 years and recently bought this Prime Advanced. I've kept my truck in pretty good condition and I hope to do the same with the Prime. I think I'll be waxing every month. There's snow, sand, pollen and lots of dust here so I like to see a good bead. And yes, I kept my truck too!

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is there really a difference, or is it more or less the same stuff, under the terminology? At least the same efficacy?

I'm not trying to be a smart nice person, that's above my pay scale lol. I'm just seriously wondering, how much a fancier term is just a ploy to add $10 to the price per bottle.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually wax the car once a year (although a couple of times, I did wax twice). The claybar comes with the wax job to get rid of winter crud (and I suppose the previous summer's construction material). I'm finding it harder to do it twice a year :( I should really get an orbital.

In theory, there is a difference. Synthetic polymer will last longer than natural wax since it's can be chemically designed to be more resistant to the elements.

Carnuba wax ranges widely in price. The stuff we get at the consumer level is usually mixed if I'm not mistaken (yes it says pure carnuba wax on the box and it is... at least the component that they use). It can go up to $100/oz. But the stuff we find in the big box stores are good enough.

Also, note that there is a difference between wax and cleaner wax. Cleaner wax includes some sort of polishing compound. Think of it like a 2-in-1 product. The problem is that cleaner wax will slowly remove your clearcoat like polish does (but probably not a concern unless you keep your car for a very long time since we're talking a minuscule amount).

Mendel Leisk likes this.