1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often is the average MPG updated?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by N9IWP, Jul 13, 2004.

1. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

I think I posted this earlier, but it didn't show up.

It it updated every minute? Because I know it is updated more than every mile (saw it updated several times between mile 0 and 1 after refilling)

Brian

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is something good to know. I know that the current updates every 3 seconds, then to know the average would be nice.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm i think its updated more often than every minute. in fact i m fairly sure of that.

i kept thinking i would watch to see if i could determine the interval, but i forgot when i filled up. after several miles, intervals can be hard to determine if the average doesnt change which is possible when the miles build up and greater changes in mpg are required to reflect a change in the overall mpg.

one thing that i think maybe reflective of the interval is watching the mileage bar on the right. it would seem to me that both the overall mpg reading and the realtime graph are updated at the same rate. if that is the case, then the update rate seems to be nearly every second or two at the most.

next time you fill up and reset your trip counter, then watch it change at first. i seem to remember that much more rapid changes happen early when the mileage is low.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel economy screen is updated every two seconds. As the miles build, the numbers will not change as often, but the computer is still updating those figures at the same interval.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok 2 seconds sounds right. i did notice before that the mileage seemed to change often immediately after resetting it.

6. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

I just filled up and watched the screen. The avearge was updated either every 30 seconds of evey half mile (I was going ~60 so I'm not sure which)

Brian