1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often: Oil changes for 2013 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by myvoicehurts, Nov 30, 2018.

1. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

So, pretty basic question. I have a 2013 Prius II, and my maintenance manual states the frequency of oil changes should be every 10k miles or every 12 months IF NOT driving on dirt/dusty roads, driving heavy loads, driving in short trips in freezing weather, and delivery-type driving. I do not meet any of those conditions, so I have been changing the oil every 10k miles (not longer than 12 months). When I do this, I've had mechanics look at me side-eyed like I'm an idiot, and when I tell them that's what the manual says, they insist I should be changing every 5000. I know newer hybrids with 0W-20 oil can go 10k miles, but I'm just double-checking here, because I don't want to ruin my car anymore than I already have if this is wrong. I'm pretty skeptic of mechanics and other "experts," so I'm interested in what other owners have to say.

This concern has been especially heightened since this past year my fuel efficiency has dipped to 45 mpg, when I used to get 48 - 52 mpg, weather depending. I checked the voltage on the battery, and that's fine (14v). Could this be related to the infrequency oil changes or something else I'm not detecting?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most modern cars using synthetic oil have 10k changes for normal usage. mechanics would prefer you pay them twice as often, ignore them.

as for your mpg's, there are a lot of potential culprits. start by checking your oil level, air filter and cabin filter.as for the 12v, you're checking it incorrectly. you need a volt meter. put it on the jump point under the hood in the morning, before starting the car. 14v is when the car ie ready and charging the 12v which is almost meaningless.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on your car? you might need an ear circuit cleansing

4. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I didn't turn the engine on, just clicked the power without the pedal, then checked voltage. Is that still not accurate?

75k miles. Has been slowly dipping over the past year, so since about 60k miles.

Thanks for the tips and insight!

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's EGR circuit. Video #17 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Also check the linked thread (in the video list).

To vindicate the mechanics: Toyota Canada advocates oil changes every 6 months or 8000 kms, whichever comes first.

They have changed to match the US schedule as of 2016, at least for the Prius. Still, you can't go wrong with 6 mo or 8K kms. Especially if you're DIY, it's not a lot of expense.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    qettyz, Bay Stater and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ear circuit :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.

Probably would need more than a Q-Tip:eek:.

We know what you meant though(y).

Bay Stater, bisco and m.wynn like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yesterday was ego, today ear, who knows what tomorrow brings...

8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tomorrow would be rear cleansing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I would check the caliper pin if the grease dry out the brakes start to drag and that pulls down fuel economy

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

working1 likes this.
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife has accused me of needing an ear circuit cleaning. I think she mentioned something about selective hearing. I don't know... I wasn't really listening. :)

vlxerdon, m.wynn, Bay Stater and 3 others like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eye have no idea what youse guys are talking about(n)

12. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes that is not right.

Best way to check the 12 V battery is to get ready the night before......by leaving the hood cracked open so you won't have to open any doors in the morning.

And what has been dipping over the past year, the battery voltage or your gas mileage ??

As for your original question, if you are going to change oil only every 10K miles, you need long life oil. I wouldn't trust any "blend" oil and would use only "full" synthetic that is rated for 10K miles. Certainly NOT conventional oil.

Are you having your tires rotated more frequently than 10K miles ? That is kind of important.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what 'clicked the power without the pedal' means. acc or on mode? don't think you should see 14 volts in either of those modes, but i'm not positive.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There must be over a hundred threads here that revolve around someone adamant they don't need a volt meter.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They also don’t need to check the dip stick either ;).

16. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you been changing your oil at 10K intervals then it's something else regarding your MPG decline. As others have said, check the 12V battery. It's 5 going on 6 years so it's possible the battery is going. 75K miles seems young for the EGR System to be clogging. But then again it comes down how the car is driven. A lot of short trips can accelerate the clogging. Other items to check, tire inflation, wheel alignment, ICE air filter. Keep us posted.;)

mjoo, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all of the responses. Everyone's been helpful, and I appreciate the time.

So, I'm pretty comfortable with the interval of oil changes now. The big thing is the mileage. To answer an earlier question, I've been referring to mileage. I've only recently checked the voltage using the software in the Prius, though it's pretty clear to me here that I need something to check it myself. Does AutoZone or anyone like that do free checks? I'll spend the $12, but an answer ASAP would be nice.

Seems like the consensus is that the issue with dipped mileage is some combination of:

a) Bad 12v battery (that is expected to wear out at this time).
    b) Bad caliper that is causing brakes to slow down car while driving.
    c) Too much oil when oil was changed (I had this done by a shop--saw this recommendation in another thread).

Anything else I'm missing or haven't considered? Follow-up questions:

a) Is the 12v battery part of the hybrid systems warranty? I have read that it's responsible for starting the car, and the main battery is responsible for the drive. How does the 12v battery influence mileage if it's just involved with starting the car?
    b) I'm not a gearhead and don't know much about calipers. How would I check this without taking it into a mechanic?

Thanks again!

Bay Stater likes this.
  18. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO !!
    And not mentioned, in this thread, is that you should expect your fuel mileage to go down a bit in the winter time.
    The fuel chemistry is a bit different and your engine runs more in the cold weather.

Mendel Leisk and Bay Stater like this.
  19. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't believe there's any way to see 14V on the battery alone. You must have been in READY mode, which provides 14V to recharge the 12V battery, whether or not the ICE is running. The Prius uses the traction battery to recharge the 12V, not the ICE.

Bay Stater likes this.
  20. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Start with those items first, and check your tire inflation and air filter before moving on. Please keep us posted.

Raytheeagle likes this.