1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often: Oil changes for 2013 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by myvoicehurts, Nov 30, 2018.

1. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Waiting for parts to come in.

Can someone tell me why the 12v battery, which seems involved in starting the car, would be a culprit for low MPG and not the hybrid battery?

Also, my Toyota owner's manual/maintenance manual doesn't talk about needing to change the 12v battery every five or six years (or at least I couldn't find it). I've seen a LOT of people talking about needing to replace this. Why would Toyota omit this information?

Thanks again!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not mentioned by any manufacturers? Kinda like tires.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This.

I guess they think that everybody knows that batteries wear out.......kinda like tires.

The VAST majority of owners of all types of vehicles don't change their batteries until they go completely DEAD anyway.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Driving with jumper cables and bald tires. :whistle:

Raytheeagle and Bay Stater like this.
  5. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Safe thing to remember on the twelve volt battery is to change them out every four years.

Been there when you get in the car and push the start button and nothing happens can kind of suck when you need to be at work and you're running late.

As far as oil changes go unless you do a lot of highway driving I would look at a daily driver Prius as severe duty. That being said we did a impromptu poll a while back and it seemed that most of the Prii with oil burning issues their owners were doing 10K oil changes. Not to say a number of cars that had 5K mile oil changes didn't also have a oil use issue, just not as many.

6. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I am sure everyone's been waiting with bated breath about the update. So, I checked the engine air filter--pristine. I checked the 12v--good charge, 12.6v. That left the calipers. Since I don't know what I'm looking at, I took it into my local Midas that changed my rotors Feb 2017. Guy looked and instantly said, yeah, calipers are sticking and wearing down your rotors--the same ones they replaced in Feb. Went on a test drive with him, and he noted that the car slows significantly when coasting. Since it's outside the warranty range, to get the whole change done on rear caliper/rotors, I am being charged $634. They threw in free brake system fluid exchange, oil change (due in 3000 miles, anyway), and brake pads. I am pretty miffed that in less than two years I have to pay out another $500+, but I don't have a choice, now do I?

To add context, I live in snowy Cleveland where the roads have a healthy layer of salt 5 months+ out of the year. Putting on my tin foil hat for a second, I wonder if they knew the calipers were going in Feb 2017 and left them knowing I'd be back, but I'd like to think they're not that shady.

What's the site's assessment? This on the level, pricing and all? Thanks for your assistance--I've learned a lot about my car in the process, and I'm appreciative of everyone's time.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do your wheels feel hot after an extended drive? That one simple/direct way to determine if your brakes are dragging.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't trust Midas to add air to my tires, much less to do anything more complicated.
    So I am not qualified to comment. Oh, wait..........

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If your brakes are dragging, it's more likely the slide pins than the piston seal that's causing it. Simply removing/cleaning/lubing would fix the problem if that is indeed the case. If they've already replaced the calipers, you now have cheap rebuilt units in place of the OEM Toyota parts. Be sure to have them inspected, cleaned and lubed regularly -- as called for in the service manual.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never heard mention of a pdf of the Prius c "repair manual"; you might be stuck with taking out a short-term prescription at Toyota Tech Info.

Someone here mentioned "alldata" as a cheaper access, to the same data. Anyone tried that?

Sadly, there seems to be an inexorable trend to all-online "repair manual" (aka "shop manual", "service manual"). Also, the Owner's Manuals of late are being stripped of DIY instruction, oil change for example. Also, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the quality/completeness of the "manuals" is going downhill, whatever the format.

Back with our Hondas, I always bought the paper "Shop Manual"; typically a single volume, about the dimensions of a city phone book (remember those...), for somewhere under $100. It payed for itself the first time you checked the valve clearances (screw and lock-nut Honda style). Or did the brakes.

Maybe someone with a Prius c and some motivation could cobble together some basic DIY pdf's.

11. myvoicehurts

myvoicehurts New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hey, can anyone tell me if what I posted above is on the level? There are some good comments around the topic, which I appreciate, but I really need to know if this is reasonable. I understand the pins might be the primary suspect here, but they are telling me that the rotors are shot as a result of the brakes dragging and calipers sticking.

Question two: being that I'm an amateur when it comes to cars, is lubing and inspecting the pins something I can reasonably do, or is this something I would expect them to do for free after they've charged me for these rotors twice in a two year period? Also, how do we know these are cheap, "rebuilt" parts?

I really just want to know if the story I described above is on the level and I'm not being taken advantage of. Thanks.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they are speaking at midas, they are lying. there is no way for us to diagnose what happened.

in the future, if you can't find a decent independent mechanic, take it to a dealer.

you can do whatever you set your mind to, but if you are gonna diy cars, you should do a lot of reading, get the right tools and start with little things and work your up.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It doesn't help that the Repair Manual info, for routine maintenance, is behind an overpriced paywall these days. Yeah, I can remember buying a 0-25mm micrometer and a dial indicator with magnetic base, over 35 years ago. You learn as you go along. Start by just lifting off the caliper, removing and cleaning the pads and shims, pull out, clean and relube the pins.

For all the points of contact, between pad/shims/caliper I use Permatex Anti-Seize (silvery paste), sparingly. For the pins: Sil-Glyde Brake lubricant (looks like vaseline).

Cheap insurance is to disconnect the 12 volt negative cable before doing anything. When done, pump the brake pedal a few times to take up excess travel, then reconnect the battery.

Bay Stater likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the pins, Toyota recommends a "lithium soap based glycol grease", which they sell. It is a clear red color and you can get a whole tube of it (part no 08887-01206), or just use the little packet of it that comes inside every Toyota rubber kit (one kit has all the rubber and fiddly bits to rebuild a left and a right caliper).

In my experience, the one thing that correlates most directly with long, cheap, trouble-free Prius brake life is regular attention. I just rotate my tires myself, mostly because it gives me a perfectly good opportunity, every 6,000 miles or so, to look at the brakes. I just flip them up, take some measurements, waggle the slide pins inward and outward, and flop them back down. In most cases there will be no parts needed and no real need to do anything at all. Usually the pin grease will have solidified a bit, and will feel stiff until waggled a few times, but if they come back to moving easily and greasily, I usually don't even bother opening them up to fuss with the grease. If they need it, I will.

A couple times, I've found the "fitting kit" (the teflon-like coated spring clips that fit in the caliper bracket and hold the pad ears) to be rusted enough not to slide as easily, and I'll pop in replacements (kit's about $15 IIRC, does a left and a right caliper). That takes, like, 5 minutes.

Long story short, brake calipers are pretty simple things, you just want to make sure they grab on when you're braking, and let go when you aren't. If checked regularly, they can probably do that for you for close to 200k miles in a Prius. But they're in a wet, salty, grotty environment, and can develop little issues any time, which you can easily catch if you check regularly, but otherwise can progress into situations requiring replacement of parts.

-Chap

15. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If it has rear disc brakes, it’s not a Prius c; I think @myvoicehurts's profile lists the wrong model. In any case, the Cleveland Public Library subscribes to the Chilton Library service, which includes the Repair Manual text and illustrations for the 2013 Prius.

SFO, Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    DIY wheel rotations affords you the luxury of manicuring the wheel hubs. I put a very sparing amount of anti-seize on, 2~3 rotations ago, and there's still enough residue that I can rehomogenize it with a toothbrush:

IMG_9577.JPG

Raytheeagle and Bay Stater like this.
  17. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Spotless, looks like new!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Based on Km’s, it almost is:LOL::ROFLMAO::p.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Deleted by author

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The point I was trying to make: often "professional" service means rushed, less attention to detail. A tire rotation for example, will be just that, wheels off, slammed back on in their new locations. The high hourly wage rate demands this.

On the other hand, the "amateur" might check the tread carefully, clean the faying surfaces between hub and wheel, dress them with a bit of anti-seize, clean up the lug nuts and so on. Because there's no rush.

RMB and Bay Stater like this.