1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often should i run the gas engine

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MarkP., Jun 8, 2020.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the compression ratio is high enough, maybe the grease gods could come up with a formula that doesn't sink so bad, But I guess most people who pump their own gas have already gotten used to the smell.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    From your wording, I'm not sure you understand what I was trying to say.
    The smell is from a diesel fuel spill at that pump, NOT from the gasoline fuel.
    You do not smell it at a pump that has E0 because that pump likely does NOT dispense diesel.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe, that was the problem in your particular case. Or I could be gullible and/or type in cryptographic sentences.

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, never knew the part about periodically engaging 4x4 on purpose but I assume it also applies to my Tacoma 4x4. I think I've used 4x4 a whole 3 times since I've had it. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

Had the Prius Prime for 4 years and filled up 10 times over 17,000+ miles but I did have a strategy. In the Winter I used the ethanol regular because the EV range went down and I knew the engine would come on more as well as use it to provide more cabin heat in some bitter temps. I put in the ethanol for the anti-freeze capabilities. In the spring through fall I put in non-ethanol. Never had a problem.

5. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Spoken and said like a true artist ! Cryptography is our currency.

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, Drash, learned that from a master Toyota technician...he said the majority of 4x4 issues he's seen in Toyota's is because the owners didn't use them much so the lack of lubrication can cause issues.
    I don't know if you're a DIY or not but I found a great German company that supplies everything you need to change out the gear lube in the front/rear differentials and trans-axle. The containers have nozzle that pull way out so you can squirt the lube right in there.....no pumping required. They only thing you need are new crush washers for the drain plugs. (I change out my gear every 3-years in the Tundra and do a lube job every summer.)

Storm88000 likes this.
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    know yer hash # tag. bang !. sir hash# a lot

8. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Same often applies to turbochargers. Many small cars not typically thought of as performance cars are equipped with turbos these days. My mechanic (known him nearly 20 years so we’ve become friends as well) told me last fall that turbo failures have spiked since the pandemic because people are not driving nearly as much as before and especially not on longer, higher speed trips (more of an issue in 2020). As a result, the pins that push open flaps to feed air to the turbo seize up from disuse. (He had a more technically sophisticated description for it, but I’m an historian, not a mechanic ;) ).

9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, just changed the NXh oil (yep put in a new crush washer for the oil plug too) and air filters, trouble shoot the power liftgate before I replied. I’ve changed out brakes, packed wheel bearings, changed tranny and trans-axle fluids of my other cars and trucks (4x2 only) for a long time. But never owned a 4x4 so good things to know.

iPad ? Pro

10. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Uh oh. I got my mom a 2021 Kia Seltos SX turbo SUV. Top of the line model and first year in the U.S.

It’s a mid size SUV powered by a 1.6 liter turbo. About 32mpg highway. The problem is she hardly drives it. Maybe 100 miles a month. Here’s the other thing - when she DOES drive it, she never ever gets anywhere near boost territory. I think it’s safe to say she has never “floored” any car in her life. She just doesn’t care and looks at a car like you and I look at a toaster.

BTW - it is actually a pretty cool vehicle. While there aren’t paddle shifters, it’s no CVT- it’s a dual clutch 7 speed auto with manumatic shifter function and it does the quarter mile in 15.6 seconds. Not bad for a 1.6 liter turbo weighing 3,400lbs and making I think 178hp and a little less torque. But yeah your post makes me think I should go drive it once in awhile and floor it a few times. :)

lol

11. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    All kidding aside, my mechanic says a once a month (though every two weeks is better) 30 min drive on an autoroute/interstate (or similar) with a few dips into boost territory is an excellent way to avoid this problem.

Storm88000 likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the Kia turbo has a boost gauge, I'd want to know where the turbo starts before redlining. But that's just me.
    And if you ask 3 mechanics what they'd recommend for minimum use of the turbo, I'd probably expect to get at least 3 different recommendations.

13. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Perhaps. But I also asked the VW mechanic where my wife’s GTI gets serviced (still under warranty) and got the same answer. And the same story about underused turbos needing repair or replacement. Still anecdotal, admittedly, but they don’t know each other nor could either one know I’d asked the other.

Also, neither said redlining was necessary, just a sufficient push of the pedal to get the turbo to engage.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if your definition of - the same - and mine would be similar.
    No need of details as I'm just nit pickin a bit.

15. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Unfortunately, no boost gauge. Only go by feel - it lags a second then it takes off pretty well. Has several driving modes - Normal -Smart - Sport. Sport holds the revs longer and stuff and makes the steering wheel heavier. It’s quite impressive for a $28k Kia SUV. Loaded with tons of amenities too.

vvillovv likes this.