1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often should one expect to replace tires?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 65mpg_utahn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. 65mpg_utahn

65mpg_utahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought my 2014 Prius C, it already had 33k miles on it and the tires looked like the tread was less than normal. I am sure with road conditions, driving habits, weather, etc. etc. each Prius is different. Maybe I don't know what to expect as my wheels are alloy versus hub cap and different wheelbases with premium wheels versus big tires.

(y)

#1 65mpg_utahn, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I expect tires to last anywhere from 25000 to 100000 miles depending on too many factors for me to list. On average, though, I expect 40k miles for most people. So what you are seeing is what I expect for average 15000 mile a year driving.

65mpg_utahn likes this.
  3. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tires have wear bar indicator. Google it ! Tires also have a shelf life ! Each tire has manufacturing date on them . Performace degrades with age and become hazard .

4. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This car seems to chew through the fronts... My Civic on the other hand.. the front/rear wear almost evenly.

Depends on how many of your miles are city and how many are highway.

If you rotate religiously, I imagine you can get about 60-70K out of the OEM, give or take.

If you don't rotate, I bet you can get twice the miles out of the rears.

I'm lazy, so I expect to change the fronts, while changing the rears every 2nd front set.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and keep up with alignments.

Edmund likes this.
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not to revive a dead thread, but I rotate every 5k miles and I made it 65k on the OEM tires.

7. tnt4him

tnt4him Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my tires at 35k and the guy at the shop said his wifes Prius tires were replaced at 31k. We agreed that these low resistant tires wear quickly.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Um... if you say so... I changed mine out at 65k and many other members have done it around that time as well. Shoot, we have one member that made it over 80k on the factory tires.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you recall what they were? At the wear bars?

We tend to time-out on tires fwiw: between running two sets (snow tires in winter) and low miles, I start getting nervous when the tires are around 8 years old, even though they usually have fair amount of tread remaining. When the cracking starts getting pronounced, and you have bits of tread starting to chip off.

10. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My factory EP20 changed at 90k miles was at the wear bars on the inside of the front tires. The outside was still a comfortable 3/32. And the rears were 4/32. Unfortunately, all four wore unevenly on the inside, otherwise, I would've gotten 100k easily.

Oh and that's with averaging 28k miles a year.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's phenomenal, maybe a lot of highway miles? I've had those on a Civic Hybrid, and replaced with same when we sold the car to a family member. I'm pretty sure they lasted a lot less for us, not even 90K kms. They weren't exactly down to wear bars, but looking pretty knackered, and plug-repaired more than once or twice.

12. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's only one way to get 28k miles per year on a vehicle and that's with a lot of highway miles.

Contrary-wise, we only managed 40k miles on Michelin MXV4's from a Sonata. They were at the wear bars and has the telltale cracking signs for 8 year old tires. Michelin MXV4 are one of the most highly regarded Michelin tire lines.

Assuming we drive the same way in my Sonata as my Prius, how can you explain the drastic difference in tire wear? 6000 miles a year equals lots of stop and go city miles.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I drove my 2001 Saturn until well past the wear bars and barely achieved 35k miles... When I swapped these out, i still had 1-2/32 left on it and the wears weren't showing... but I was making a winter trip to Minnesota and wanted to have the new tread.
    I had the Turanza EL400s.