1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often to Prius inverters need to be replaced?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BB7722, Jul 10, 2014.

1. BB7722

BB7722 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm really new to this site, but I have been wondering about my inverter problem. I figured you guys would be the best people to help me because you all give such good advice!
    So I currently have to get a new inverter. I did some research on it, and I think there are two different types of them because there is one that has these black cylinders next to it when you take off the cover:
    [​IMG]
    There is another one that looks like this: [​IMG]
    Okay, so I don’t know if this is actually even for different model years or are they two different parts of the same car. I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking at here. I haven't taken apart the inverter on my car because I was told that tampering with anything could electrically shock me if I don't know what I'm doing.

There is something wrong with my circuit board for some reason. I think that some of the little circuits are disconnected or something (the solder came off?).
    1. How often does this happen to an inverter? -Is this a common thing that happens in a prius?
    2. Does the board get melted because of a problem with the coolant pump?
    3. Where are some places that I could go to get a remanufactured inverter or a new one (that’s not as expensive as the manufacturer)? – I have a friend that said they would put it all together for me if I got the parts because he’s certified to do that kind of stuff.
    Thanks! I appreciate the help!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    without the covers, I'm taking an educated guess. The first photo is the 2nd Gen Prius' inverter. It's larger with more air space for heat dissipation. The bottom photo looks like a Gen 3 Prius inverter that is liquid cooled (for the circuit board) so it can be made more compact. Both do use coolant to maintain temperature, however.

1. Not sure but based on threads I see on PriusChat, not very often. Most stem from the engine using oil rather than inverter failures (but there has been one or two cases of the 3rd Gen Prius' inverter failing)

2. Possibly (the 3rd Gen Prius uses a separate coolant system from the engine. The Gen 2 Prius' inverter shares the coolant with the engine) but I think someone more technical can answer that.

3. Can't help you with this one since I'm not in the U.S. Try Boulder Hybrids |

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First things first.....

I'm on mobile, so I cannot see your vehicle information, but since you're in the Gen III forum, I'm assuming you have a gen III.
    Have you had the most recent recall done? The most recent recall is supposed to help prevent premature inverter failure.

You may want to check with the dealer if you haven't had this recall done. It may be too late for your inverter, but it may not be too late to possibly get assistance from Toyota like others have received.

Depending on your state, the hybrid system has a longer warranty period - CARB states are up to 150k miles full warranty.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In your profile, you show a 2009 Prius which is a second generation Prius. Unless MN is a CARB state, the inverter should be covered under warranty unless your car has more than 100,000 miles on it.

You can pick up used inverters from junk yards and also find them online on Ebay. Beware though a used part may or may not work. You won't know until you get it all hooked up. There is a lot of work in swapping the inverter, plus you have to bleed all of the air out of the system to get the coolant system working again. Otherwise the new inverter will burn up.

Inverter's don't go out very often, but it has been known to happen. Check with Autobeyours in Indiana. He might have a good working inverter that you can get from him. Not sure how far you are from there, you might consider shipping your car to him and then fly over there and pick it up once he fixes it. They are one of the best when it comes to rebuilding Prius.

Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana

Best of luck to you!

Ron (dorunron)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [Moved thread from Gen3 forum to Gen2 forum based on user's profile of owning a Gen2]

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did you arrive at the point of knowing that your inverter was bad? It is rare that they go out. It is true that a plausible way it might be damaged is by repeated overheating due to the inverter coolant pump failing.

The infinitely repeated canard about the danger of high voltage in the Prius is a result of our litigious society, not sane technical advice. Once you have waited 5 minutes for the inverter capacitors to drain after the car is off, the inverter is just as inert as any other bolt on piece. So it can be changed DIY if you just follow procedure.

8. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol... "these black cylinders"... are you sure you want to pull the inverter apart. They're high farade capacitors. I suspect the bottom rig has the board mounted type which are rectangular.

9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Won't an attempted cross-polarity jump start toast your inverter? Seems like that was the cause in most of the inverter failure stories I've read.

On second thought, I think the cross-jump toasts the DC-DC inverter portion, which requires of course the replacement of the entire unit.

#9 AzWxGuy, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes there are different types for the different models of Prius. The one you require is the Gen2 type (2004 to 2009) which I believe is the one shown in the first of those two pics.

BTW, the "black cylinders" are the electrolytic capacitors. These store charge a little bit like a battery - a lot less overall charge than the battery, but they can supply and absorb it much more rapidly. The other inverter pictured also has electrolytic capacitors (they're a vital part of an inverter), but they've been replaced by a capacitor module (the large black plastic thing marked "Panasonic") instead of individual components.

Not all that often actually. This is good news for you as it means that good condition secondhand units should be readily available.

There are only two known ways that I know of that are likely to lead to inverter failure.

1. Failed jump start attempts (typically reverse polarity).

2. Repeated overheating after a failed inverter coolant pump.

As with anything though, there can always be other random failures that seem to occur for no particular reason. That type of failure seems to be pretty rare for the Prius inverter however.