1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How reliable has your Prius been?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jon S, Oct 1, 2012.

?
  1. Absolutely no issues... I love this car.

78.9%
  2. Had some minor issues...

18.3%
  3. Had some major issues...

4.2%
  4. My car was a lemon... (I don't even know why I am still driving it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 Prius IV just hit 36,000 miles. I was wondering how reliable your ride has been over the years.

Mine has been pretty good with no major issues other than the distorted instrument display. If you had problems, please let em know what kind of problem it was and if it was out of warranty, how much it set you back...

Maybe with enough responses, we can see what problems drivers can expect, if any.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Within the first month (Jan. 2010) the shifter jammed. Outcome: Can't replicate the problem. Hasn't stuck since.

Replaced the right rear shield in the wheel well because a tab broke off just before 36000 miles. Would not have bothered if it wasn't under warranty.

Patched a tire.

Right front wheel is scraped & mirror housing has taken a beating. My fault.

Biggest problem I have is getting 60mpg. Only done that twice now.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am at 94,000 miles on my 2010 with zero issues. I feel bad for those people that wasted the money on an extended warranty.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 pri, 140,000 miles total, no issues.

Rebound likes this.
  5. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think my biggest problem is that the bottom (not the bumper) scrapes when I pull into my underground garage. I cringed the first time I did it, crawled under the car to see that it was just plastic, and never worried about scraping the bottom again.

A girl took a small corner out of my rear bumper cover, her insurance paid, I pocketed the money.

And I got a flat tire, but was under some stupid warranty I bought. I broke even with the warranty, and still have I think 3 years of warranty left, but I won't pay for that again. The only thing that might make it worth the money is that there are a few potholes to and from work that I always hit. So, an alignment won't cost me anything.

I have no other issues. Nothing mechanical or electrical. But don't ask me anything about what's under the hood because I don't know.

Mike

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had some minor interior issues that were handled promptly under warranty but no mechanical issues to date. 3 years and 52000 miles. Very satisfied.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a Gen 2 but voted anyway. I answered "had some minor issues".

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never had a problem with my gen2 06 (115k miles) & no problems with my 2012. Very happy

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Minor issues with the 2010 - CD player skips (MP3 or store-bought), moreso when it was new. Also, the moonroof rattles when opened (it's ok for now when it's closed). It also had the rough start issue when it was parked for 2 weeks outside in -20C weather. Other than that, it's been pretty good.

2005 - Surprisingly robust. I thought the plastic clips would loosen over time (vs. screws that Toyota used to use). I've taken apart the passenger side dash a few times to install the DICE iPod connectivity, footwell lighting and Coastal EV mod and it doesn't rattle at all! The only "problem" is a small 12V battery that's easy to drain and the mudguards (std in Canada) were improperly installed (that's a dealer issue not the factory as all accessories, even if it's standard, are done during PDI). Right now, it's mostly battle scars. There's nothing mechanically (or electrically) wrong with the Prius so far that I can tell.

10. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Toyota Prius III has +27000 miles after 2.5 years of mainly urban-suburban driving.
    I haven't noticed any reliablity problems sofar (electrical or mechanical).:)
    Structurally - the exterior paint is prone to scratching .:(
    Design wise
    1) the front bumper's bottom air dam is easily damaged by irregular road/curb surfaces. :cautious::whistle:
    2) the textured dashboard surface makes it impossible to install adhesives tape or suction cup based mounts o_O
    3) the steering wheel mounted buttons are looking a bit worn after two years of pressing.:rolleyes:

11. Prius Five Guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fuel sensor / gauge failed at 820 miles. Replaced and no problems since.
    2012 Prius Five

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming up on three years, 41000 km. Only problem is a noisy fan at start up when the HVAC is on. Dealer assured me this is normal. This is not the rough start problem which I have only experienced once. Minor scrape to underside of front bumper and one rim, minor stone chips to front fascia.

No door dings, no accidents, no mechanical or electrical problems. Still free XM!

13. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have 3. All running strong. two teenage college girls driving a 2007 & 2009 Gen2 Touring models. I'm in a 2011 model 3. Commuting 70 miles one way. Beating the crap out of them.

14. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I remember your post - did the dealer drop the tank and replace the sending unit?

15. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 is closing in on 2 years, 127,000 km (more impressive sounding than 80k miles.) The only problem was the radio going dead under warranty. That's in between minor and no issues. I selected minor issue. Also glad I didn't get an extended warranty.

16. nick6063

nick6063 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brake reservoir fluid low. Took three trips to dealer to resolve issue. Replaced tandem master cylinder assembly. This was a big bucks replacement($2444.400) but covered under the warrenty. Milage: 14909.

17. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yo - 2010 Prius V here, just turned 3 years old, 75000 mi, ~50 mpg overall, absolutely no mechanical/electrical/interior trim issues. Exterior paint (red) does seem to scratch easily compared to our other car, I used to scratch it with my belt buckle while drying roof. I'd buy another in a New York minute...

18. Sagitar

Sagitar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    12v battery failed and was changed under warranty.
    Parking brake pedal failed to cancel the brake warning signal even though the brakes had definitely been released. The brake pedal assembly was changed under warranty.
    No problems getting these faults corrected by the dealer and I am still delighted with the car.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Besides stuff that's our own stupid fault:
    - Clip on wheel well shield came off. Apparently the Prius doesn't like running through 6" of snow while more is falling
    - The little rubber piece on the parking brake keeps working its way off. I use the parking brake at stops like I was taught to use the hand brake in a stick.

Other than that it's non-critical annoyances.
    Oh, a bit over 55k since late Dec 2009.

20. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2010 V (Model 5) w/ATP. 60,280 miles. I had a bit of a dashboard rattle the first couple of weeks, but the dealership fixed it. I don't like the OEM Toyo tires, but I still have 5/32 and 6/32 tread. I'd rather be getting more above 50 MPG lifetime, but winters here just suck the efficiency out of the HSD, and I usually get low- to mid-40s for MPGs in the coldest months.

My car has been hit three times (all while I wasn't moving), and I've had to live through the pain of rental cars for days (or weeks for the worst hit), but it has weathered everything very well. The brakes checked out at a "7" on a scale of 1 to 10 (according to the dealer), so they say no brake work until after 100,000 miles. Oil changes, filter changes and a brake flush (part of Midwest weather), plus my decision to change the transaxle fluid.