1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How should I carry my bikes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by darkgiant, Mar 29, 2017.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been carrying my bike with me a lot, and I am started to get fed up with actually loading a bike in the trunk, it also gives me wired looks by strangers passing by, lol.

Anywho, I am a dirt cheap college kid, and I just want to be able to carry my bicycle at ease, but I am not sure which route to go. On one hand, the bike holder thingy that mounts to the hatch seems dirt cheap (~$30) but I wonder how "safe" it really is, especially for the car, as I'd have to imagine based on it's style alone it can scratch, or leave a rent easily?

Alternatively, there is the hatch, it seems pretty pricey, almost a $200+ investment, but this option seems far safer (I'd guess?). But is it possible to even have this kind of system around ~$50-70 dollars, with the idea of buying used parts? Or is that out of the question?

Or, are there even better alternatives to the above? I'm just trying to find an easier (but cheap) way to load and unload my bike from my car, as having to fold the seats, and unfold them gets annoying.

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use the 4 bike version of this. Got it on Black Friday for $40.

I can't vouch for it's safety but it carried 2 mountain bikes and one toddler bike without issue. It probably scratches the car. I don't see how it wouldn't. I put a towel where metal touches metal but I still think I get scratches. I didn't check because I don't care. Anywho, I am a dirt cheap father of three, it fits the bill for carrying my family's bikes at ease. :DIf it dents, it dents. It's a Prius with 123k miles not a Mercedes. It's easy to take off and put on. That's already worth it's cheap price. Anything else (roof or hitch) would cost easily 10x's more.

3. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not too worried about light scratches, but I'd imagine it can possibly leave dents and stuff? I'm a huge detailing-nut, so that may play huge role haha.

Another question, I assume you can't open the hatch once that is installed, correct? The only way to open the hatch would be to take off the rack?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually you can open the hatch with this mostly installed. Obviously, don't open with the bike installed. Some of the straps are held on by tension and would fall off. It would behoove you to detach these straps or they might fall and dent the car.

And that's where the problem is for me. When you go over bumps, all that weight goes down and then up. If you did not properly tighten it down, it may come off. And if that metal piece comes off and starts flapping in the wind, you can imagine what damage it will do. This hasn't happened to me but it is why I don't particularly recommend this product. I loaded a bike to my friend's Civic and she drove from LA to SF 350 miles without a problem. So I do trust the product for my usage.

5. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have never like the carriers that only hang on to edges and lips. Always leave marks and the straps always buzz.
    With a carrier on the back you will probably loose the ability to open the hatch without taking the bikes off.
    Additionally, it is going to add drag and put a dent in your mileage. I don't mind loading into trunk to keep the mpgs up.
    Just my 0.02.

6. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the carrier like modem posted. I think it was the Allen brand, 2-bike vesion, $35-40 bucks.
    I used it only once. Two reasons why I didn't like it:
    1. Felt like a parachute; I could feel the drag slowing down the car. It lowered my MPG probably 5-10mpg.
    2. It seemed slightly unstable. It held up for a 3 hr, 180mi trip but I felt a little uneasy with it.
    Ever since then I always load my two adult bikes in the trunk, I have to take at least one wheel off for them to fit, but overall I like it way better.
    If you just go for short trips the Allen might work nicely for you and it's cheap. If you're taking long trips it may be better to put them inside. Just my personal opinion.
    Happy biking

mmmodem likes this.