1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How should PriusChat be paid for?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stev0, Oct 14, 2010.

?
  1. With ads, even if they happen to be intrusive

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. With voluntary donations

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. With mandatory subscription fee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A combination voluntary donations and non-intrusive ads (eg, Google AdSense)

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  5. Nothing! Everything on the Internet should be cost-free and advertisement-free

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    But THAT is not what you asked them. Heck I would have cheerfully voted that ads that pop under, pop over, expand, or play noises are evil. You did not ask that at all, you asked how the site should be funded. And simply, it is not your responsibility.

I see nothing in any of your threads that is some one in authority stating 'we can't afford to offend our advertisers, so the ads have to stay', in fact I see no one in authority in any of those threads, except Paradox does try to keep it within one thread. My theory that Danny is too busy to cope with feedback is as valid as your theory that Danny is too poor to refuse the ads. Notice that none of those threads are in the site feedback forum, because this site has no site feedback forum. So my theory that Danny has no time for feedback is at least as valid as your theory he can't afford to listen to feedback.

Seriously, show any evidence that changing how the site is financed would in anyway remove only annoying ads. (if it had no ads at all, it would have no annoying ads, but that is not just eliminating annoying ads)

You have a marvelous cart, why is it before the horse?

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I seriously doubt Danny put the system for pop-up ads in because he likes how they look. What other reason could it be than to fund the board?

If I took a poll "Do you like pop-up ads?", it would have gotten 100% response of "No." But then the admins, and rightfully so, would have asked "Well, how do you propose we pay for this board?" This thread is just me skipping that step and going right to step two.

And there are non-annoying ads (Google AdSense is probably the most well-known, but there are others).

Finally, the fact that you say this site has no feedback forum shows how little you know.

3. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    We had the same issue come up in the Nissan Leaf forum recently - we had a poll and decided to go with "A combination voluntary donations and non-intrusive ads (eg, Google AdSense)". Just like here this option got the most votes.

Funny thing with ads is - a lot of us are willing to pay for them. I for one buy local newspaper mostly for the ads.

So, the key to ads is being relevent and non-intrusive.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not suspect Danny has anything to do with the obtrusive ads, I suspect his advertisers are slipping ads that do not meet Danny's specs, and he is too busy to catch them.

And I object to that, as you make are proposing Danny lie to us in his TOS Terms of Service | PriusChat "We will not openly or covertly ask any member for money or other kinds of compensation for general access and the right to post on our site." Until you resolve this with Danny it is irresponsible to imply you can alter the funding of this site. (emphasis mine)

Oh good I was wrong.

Your claim is that every one of your earlier thread examples is misfiled?

I have tried to only claim an opinion, as I do not think either of us knows Danny's situation here. In fact I thought my position was that trying find a solution for a problem we do not have any facts on was nonproductive. Your position seems to be "Damn the facts, full speed ahead!"

I will shut up and await any authoritative reply.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It seems pretty simple to me: Make a donation of some minimum amount and you see no ads. Danny or the mods could choose to give a free "membership" to anyone who they considered to be providing unusually valuable information, or to be unusually helpful towards newbies.

I don't see ads anyway. But I would contribute, as I did when there was simply a "contribute" button. It could be as simple as if you contribute you get a little banner under your name identifying you as a contributor.

Of course, it's Danny's site, and he can do what he likes. Apparently he does not consider contributions necessary. Maybe, since ad revenue is based partly on the number of viewers, giving people a pass on ads would reduce revenue more than the contributions add to it. If that's the case, I feel bad about blocking them. But I just find ads annoying, which is why, when I like a site, such as this, I'd gladly contribute voluntarily to compensate for blocking the ads.

6. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He has everything to do with the obtrusive ads. He is the one who decided to put Quantserve and Doubleclick crap on the site. You can't have them without having obtrusive ads, period.

Not proposing he lie to us. Asking for voluntary donations is not the same as demanding them in exchange for board use. I'm not saying I can alter funding of the site. I can't, obviously. But I can propose a better way. Personally, I would like to see this board be the best it can be. If you happen to like things that suck (and face it, most people think obtrusive ads suck), that's your business.

No, only about half of them. In any given thread, you'll see a funny-looking like that looks like this (for example):

PriusChat Forums > PriusChat Forums > PriusChat Website Questions

That means this particular example thread would be in the "PriusChat Website Questions" subforum, the correct place for such complaints. As I said, about half the threads of this type are there. The other half are in Fred's, where there is no "wrong" topic to post, so even that isn't "misfiled" per se.

As I said, I Do see a problem. If one or two people complained, it wouldn't be a problem. If several people complain, and several more, such as myself, don't need to complain because we use AdBlock (thus depriving the board of funds - and don't pretend you think Danny put Doubleclick crap on the board for aesthetic reasons) - that, my friend, is a problem.

As I said, I only started this thread because I *like* PriusChat. I happen to think burying your head in the sand to something's problems, especially with something you like - well, that's what's wrong with the world today. You obviously disagree, and think head-burying is the best course of action, so be it.

1 person likes this.
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are going a little hard on Danny. I have talked with him about this before, and he is very aware of the irritation caused by obtrusive ads. In the past he has removed certain advertisers because of the nature of their ads. The problem is that he does not personally select the advertisers. As you know, he contracts with advertising companies, and they supply the ads. Everything can be great for six months, then something stupid shows up, like the Home Depot ads. He can ask to have those blocked, but it's like playing whack-a-mole. He has to deal with each problem as it arises. That is a big burden for a free site.

Tom

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Especially since he now has a mini-Cooper.

9. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Going after Doubleclick's individual customers like Home Depot is indeed like playing whack-a-mole. Removing Doubleclick is like removing the whole whack-a-mole machine. I know Danny doesn't select the advertisers. However, Doubleclick does. No Doubleclick = no more obtrusive ads ever.

Note: When I say "Doubleclick", you can read that as "Doubleclick and Quantserve".

Also note: I think Danny does a bang-up A-1 excellent job running the board. That was never a question. However, I'm a huge believer in being proactive. Removing Doubleclick and Quantserve is the only way to ensure that no more obnoxious ads are ever seen on this board again.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. Doubleclick is the Antichrist of the advertising world. I despise pretty much everything about how they operate.

Tom

2 people like this.
  11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I beg to differ: Those companies are horrid, but removing them does not insure that other ad-serving companies won't serve up obnoxious ads.

Unfortunately, it is probably not possible for Danny to contract with individual advertisers. Ad servers are the way ad-based web sites get their revenue. And considering Danny's obvious concern for this board and us, I suspect that if he could dump Double-Click and still obtain the revenue needed to run the board he probably would.

Clearly, Danny wants this board to be open, so he's stuck with ad servers. My only reason for advocating voluntary contributions is that I'd contribute, as a compensation for the fact that I block ads. I block them across the board, for all sites.

12. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I know they're not the only ones, but as far as I know those are the only ones on the board (at least, they're the only ones showing up being blocked by NoScript). Well, Google Analytics is, too, but they're innocuous and thus not blocked.

But yeah, I block any and all Quantserve and DoubleClick, everywhere.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just turn on AdBlock and let it do its thing. I don't understand this stuff well enough to be selective.

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

It's getting too heavy in here....

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps make them a little more intrusive for some forums. <grins>

Bob Wilson

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HA! You think Google tracking you on nearly every web site you visit is innocuous? Hardly. Think of the profile they have on you...

Google owns DoubleClick. Heck, I block Analytics and not AdSense! G Analytics is pure evil, well I don't the big G tracking my every movement on the web ;)

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Figuring out what to block and what not to block is too complicated. I just let AdBlocker Plus block everything it thinks is an ad. On sites that I like, if there is a donation option, I donate.

Does anybody know how much a site like Prius Chat actually gets each time your browser loads an ad?

19. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I know that Google knows more about me than my closest friends, my family, and the IRS combined. However, they don't push Expanding 3D Gotta See It Before You Can Continue ads in my face, and they kick in a couple of cents to my favorite web sites, so let Big Brother watch me.

It's like those store cards. Somebody like, say, Best Buy's card will mail me a $10.00 coupon every three months or so that I can use maybe for two days and not on anything I'd actually want to buy, so screw them. On the other hand, my supermarket card lets me save $300 - $400 a year (and I don't even go out of my way to look at the specials - I'm sure I could easily double that if I tried), so I use it faithfully.

So I'm not automatically anti-Big Brother. I AM anti-being annoyed.

20. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Google is smart. They don't throw ads in your face that can be blocked with AdBlocker. They have text ads which often (but not always) are ignored by AdBlocker. Also, they track your every move (which they either then do or don't sell this information to advertisers, depending on who you wish to believe). For blocking them you have to get NoScript (which is a good thing to get even if you don't plan on blocking them).