1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How slow a hit will cost money?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Recently I had a very similar experience. I won't give the boring details, but basically I was hit on the front passenger's side bumper. It was a very light hit, but put an 8 inch crack in the bumper, and slightly cracked the grill on my 2014 Prius. Estimate to replace & paint bumper, and replace grill: $910.25. The claims adjuster told me that Prius parts, because they're mostly plastic, tend to be cheaper than parts for other cars. I thought that was quite cheap. I was expecting at least $1500.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forget plastic body parts, the downside of making a car sacrifice itself for your safety is that a relatively minor accident can = total loss because of the cost to restore your car to pre-accident status given the current market value of the car.

Heck, I'd say after 5 years of ownership, most cars on the road are 100% loss in any respectable accident they can still drive away from. I lost a pickup truck in an accident just because the cost to inspect the frame for damage plus known body work would be about the market value of the truck, and it was 100% mechanically sound after the accident.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes.
    Theoretically to prevent bending the frame, I think.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure that your dealership checks your alignment, in addition to the actual bumper and hardware.

Good Luck!

I'm glad that there were no injuries.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, those "shock absorber" energy absorption devices didn't last long in the market. They were "one use" and cost about $500 each. When the standard added "cost to repair" they were dropped. They were there to absorb energy to keep it below a critical value, above which passengers could be injured (neck etc). They also put them on buses, filling them with water. Fine in the far south, but here, ice doesn't absorb energy very well. ;)

I ripped the rear bumper compete with those shock absorbers off a VW when he turned left (illegally) right in front of the motorcycle I was riding. Many years ago. I was lucky I didn't loose a foot, as the bumper hit the footpeg. Or perhaps more accurately, my footpeg hit the bumper. ;)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Update. Pearl S is as good as new now. New freshly painted rear bumper cover. There was no "hidden damage" under it. Now I'm afraid to take her out of the garage! ;)

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars are safe in Garages......but that's not what cars are for!

(adapted quote from my favorite Navy Admiral :) )
    She also is credited for the use of the word "bug" in computers and is famous for saying (perhaps originally) that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission!
    Grace Hopper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia