1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How somebody can increase the voltage going to the motor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LamboGuy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. LamboGuy

LamboGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm new here so my apologies if this question is a bit silly... I noticed that Prius 2 is sending 500V to the motor and Prius 3 (IIRC) 650V with a beneficial increase in the HP.
    Is any company out there that has a system that can increase the 500V of the Gen 2 to 650V or even to higher (maybe 800V) ?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LMK if you find out how to do that, I'll be waiting for the "I just fried my inverter, Help!" thread. ;) :D

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i must say, i don't recall this ever being asked. i suppose anything can be done, but it might be cheaper to buy a gen III or other hybrid.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you'll be the first, and then you can be that company. Have you looked in the New Car Features Manual (for either Gen 2, Gen 3, or both) to see how the voltage boost is currently done? (There are boost circuits in both Gen 2 and Gen 3, but by different amounts, of course.)

You'll basically be engineering an upgraded inverter and also cooling system for both the inverter and transaxle, to cope with your planned 30% to 60% increase in power being handled by both. Then you'll have a kit you can maybe get Danny to carry on the PriusChat shop. The free market is a beautiful thing.

-Chap

edit: my mistake, you could be engineering for a 70% to 150% increase in power capacity (proportional to volts squared) ... your cooling system might look quite different from Toyota's.

5. LamboGuy

LamboGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do appreciate your (very elaborate) answer!
    It would be cool, especially if you put some of the leaf batteries (which go on so cheap these days and have increased energy density).

iPhone ?