1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How sustainable is ethanol from corn?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by dsunman, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about a flying windmill, tethered to the ground but flying in the jet stream at 15,000 feet?

High Altitude Wind Power

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wind can be planned around. Denmark get's 20% of it's power from wind.

Yes, tidal can and eventually will provide a lot of power. However, there are still issues of transmission. Tidal isn't really going to help people in central Asia or North Dakota.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I had a 3.3 KW system installed 1 year ago. Haven't had to pay for electricity since. In fact over the course of 12 months, I had a net production of 1 month's worth of electricity put back into the grid. It cost 17K after rebates and tax credits. Not financially worthwhilte, but emotionally I feel just a little bit better taking away our share of excess atmospheric carbon. We've just ordered a prius last weekend. My wife is a little sad though that she won't be driving her 350z as much.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool. What kinda turbine do you have? Bergey, African Wind, someone else? Is it an inter-tie system or do you have batteries that you charge?

5. rags

rags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The attached file places using biofuels rather than fossil fuels into a global perspective.