1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Tesla calculated injury risk from NHTSA data

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 10, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: How Tesla Made the Model 3 So Safe, David Tracy, Oct 9, 2018

Tesla told me that it dug into NHTSA’s data, and looked at overall probability of injury figures. The company sent me a link to some of NHTSA’s data; here’s a look at the injury probabilities to various parts of the body during a frontal crash test:
    [​IMG]

And here are the star ratings for the frontal crash test:
    [​IMG]
    So basically, when Tesla says its Model 3 has the “lowest probability of injury” ever tested by NHTSA, it means that the overall VSS score (which represents the “relative risk of injury with respect to a baseline of 15 percent”) of 0.38 is lower than that of any car ever tested.
    [​IMG]
    That’s impressive, any way you slice it.

The rest may be too technical for short-seller advocates to understand.

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To me, having one of the safest cars on the road is worth thousands of dollars, arguably tens of thousands. When you add this into the value proposition for what you are getting with a Tesla it truly is an amazing deal.

Disclaimer, I don't own a Tesla yet, but I am long it's stock.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Tried to review auto crash / safety / fatality / injury / near-miss / per 100 million miles / per 1 Billion miles / per 100K years of driving -
    Discounting vs including crashes with similar sized cars / bicycles / semis / subcompacts / large SUV's ... auto pilot on/off .... young/agressive drivers vs middle aged or older.........
    SOOOO very many variables - & then there are insurance industry actuaries crunching their own numbers to build a 'conclusive' metrics.

Although we've driven Teslas for 2 years now, we'll gladly show ourselves to be the efficiency/safety whores that we are - manifesting our disloyalty at the drop of a hat - if we find other transportation 'proof'.
    That said, trying to interpret these statistics ... not only will it give you a stabbing pain behind your eyeball, it's like watching sausage get made ..... even discounting the wacky shorter's that try to insist Tesla statistics are fraudulent, in hopes it will diminish stock values

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that @bwilson4web 's data makes it valid to claim that the T3 has...a VSS score (which represents the “relative risk of injury with respect to a baseline of 15 percent”) of 0.38 is lower than that of any car ever tested......BY the NTSB....and probably for that category of car.

Since all of the OEMs make more or less the same cherry-picked claims, then this level of shysterism is no better or worse than the industry average.
    If I had to take a poke at "real-world' data, then I would submit that the T3's architecture and tech make it very safe.....but I'd be careful about "safest car ever" or "safer than YOUR car" claims.

Just as many people (myself included) do not happily fly on commercial airliners despite the fact that they're both 'statistically safe' and real-world safe, there will always be people (again, myself included) that think that higher ride height, and more mass can also make one "feel" or "be" safer depending on circumstances.

So....
    What is "statistics" and what is "real world"?

That's easy.
    I always ask people to pick the vehicle that they would want to ride in if they KNEW they were going to swap paint with another car......
    T3 or Escalade?

;)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!

I ride motorcycles......so "safety" (real or imagined) isn't my biggest 'must have'.....

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    all that high centered mass that supposedly saves your life,
    [​IMG]

Will squash you like an insect when it's high-centered mass (statistically likely) rolls over on you.

Now watch The Comedy as they try to roll over equally-weighted Model X

It's good to have 90% if your car's weight down at the very very bottom.

#7 hill, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    markabele likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I may have found where to get the same data for other cars:
    Databases and Software | NHTSA

We'll have to agree to disagree on this:
    • standardized test protocol - each car is subject to the same protocol. This is allows use of subcontractors and manufactures to replicate and investigate safety changes and make effective improvements.
    • credible metrics - instrumented, calibrated test dummies are used to measure crash forces
    • dummy-fy into 5 star system - the mass of test car data is much greater than ordinary people might handle so the NHTSA uses kindergarden or vacation Bible school, stars to rank relative safety to rollup 100s of data metrics
    Am I a "shyster" because I am curious about an engineering problem?

Via the Jalopnik article, Tesla turned me on to a new source of safety data that is at least 2-3 orders of magnitude more detailed than the kindergarden 'stars'. It means I can do a deep dive into the data. If you don't share Tesla and my curiosity, fine. Just consider that calling "shysterism" invites a reply that would get the moderators involved and I learned mine in Marine bootcamp. <grins>

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    "shysterism" just came from the guy that claims he is never incendiary

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mass does play an important factor though. As Elon noted on Twitter, the Model X is real world their safest vehicle due to weight. Although the Model 3 is no slouch in the weight department.

11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...
    The shysters are the one that claim that (this car) is "the safest car ever built" based on cherry-picked data and try to move more units, or win more bar bets based on warped data.
    Apologies if you thought I was trolling your data harvesting.....

The T3 will either be the safest sedan on the planet, or it will just be "safe car" or it will just be a safe car if you happen to get into an accident with an appropriate sized sled inside an NHTSA lab.
    When there are 50-mllion T3s on the road, I'm guessing we'll know how they work in the real world.....but for now $70 large will still buy a safer car with most of the bells and whistles.......IMHO.

...but then....I'm the guy that still doesn't like to fly. ;)

I picked the Caddy because it's in the same price range as the T3 and it has many of the alphabet-soup safety sensors and features that will keep it from tipping over - something that is almost universally survivable without injury if you're properly belted into a car with 10 airbags....but then "statistically" speaking....you're right.
    They're death traps.

We absolutely agree that the skateboard architecture of the T3 and it's additional heft will make it "safer" than a comparably equipped...ah..."gasser" sedan.
    If you're going to bring up the usual SUVs are unsafe arguments, don't forget the energy transfer into the people compartment from the body-on-frame architecture.
    That's always a crowd pleaser. ;)

#11 ETC(SS), Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i get into our company's 6 story parking structure ~ 4:25am & to be considerate, move off the L2 charge stall by 5:30am. So - this morning while moving off the L2, what do i see ... behold - the 1st west coast Disney employee M3 (sorry/was walking while shooting);
    [​IMG]
    one of those maybe almost quasi probably ok kind of safe cars

13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol....
    I do like them in "hi-vis" red.

I also like the fact that the larger (19"??) wheels fill out the wells in the car avoiding the 'dolphin-on-roller skates' look of..........ah......"certain other cars."

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Do NOT try this at home ~
    IIRC,
    Ford Fusion.
    Pilot: 2 substance abusing - mile high - spaced out - skum bag - 75mph wrong way freeway driving loosers

vs the competition
    Model X
    Pilot : Sober - 70 mph & unsuspecting

Venue: Scottsdale Arizona last summer

Observation: all too often, it seems a blitzed driver will survive their self-induced folly, while destroying innocent people. Still, there are exceptions. Model X driver banged up, but walks away, while the instigators pay with their lives.

Capture+_2018-10-11-05-22-07-1-1.png

9.jpg

Just as no car is idiot-proof, a giant crumple zone coupled with 3 tons of inertia doesn't guarantee survivability It certainly does play into it nevertheless.

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong-way interstate drivers kill more people in the US than they should.
    Probably more than politicians and idiotlogues would dare to compare with "other forms of homicide"....but that's off-topic. :eek:

One would think that wrong-way spike strips could be put into freeway on-ramps.
    They use them in parking lots and on military bases.....why not use them to save lives in areas where wrong-way drivers are killing people?

You can drive around them for contra-flow ops, and they have to be AT LEAST as inexpensive as some other things that they're doing in DOT.....

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Back when I was riding motorcycles, I use to consider my packsack my 5-point harness... :whistle:

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The guy I bought my 750 from sold it to me, because his best friend died while riding with him. He bought another later on & died in a motorcycle accident himself. I had 2 close calls over 30 yrs - & got knocked off mc's twice - once on the 750, once on the Harley, even though always driving like I was invisible. What is it that @ETC(SS) says? Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes. Play the odds, & it's just a matter of time.
    All Things Considered, only with decades of very good luck does one survived on just 2 wheels. I let my MC endorsement expire some 3 or 4 yrs ago. fwiw, be safe!!
    ;)

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully I've accurately edited your earlier post to simple statements:
    Is NHTSA testing flawed to the point of useless? - All of the data comes from NHTSA testing. If there is no value in the data, we don't have to go further (Proverbs 26:4).

What is the year, make, and model of "$70 large will . . . buy a safer car?" - NHTSA has testing reports that go one layer deeper. For example: Vehicle Detail Search | NHTSA

If you enter the prompted "2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR RWD", you'll get a page that includes:

These have a table listing "Driver ATD" and "Passenger ATD" metrics for:
    • Head Injury Criteria
    • Maximum Chest Compression
    • Nij
    • Neck Tension
    • Neck Compression
    • Left Femur Force
    • Right Femur Force
    These data are reported by the NHTSA. I would like to find the same NHTSA data for your "year make model" of a car after 2011 when this NHTSA rating system was established. These are Tesla nor Bob Wilson analyzed, raw crash data. Rather it provides relative NHTSA metrics that we can compare to this unknown "$70 large" car.

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine was a Yamaha 550, commuting bike. The one and only accident was laying it down to slide across a rain-wet intersection. Bike was scraped and drivable but I couldn't hide the road rash from my new wife. She planned to put a rag in the gas tank and light it. I still have the wife.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Better that, then pumping your backside full of gas stuffing a rag - & lighting it
    ;)